18 Months
Checked my email yesterday afternoon, and Australian Immigration has emailed me, officially granting my Temporary Residency (TR) visa, which commenced 9 Jan 09, and will end 18 months after on 9 July 10.
Finally... after all the wait (almost 1 year!) and worrying that after all the hard work I've put in to get the documents ready, I got the visa. To think 1 month ago I was still worrying over owing documents and might get my TR rejected. Even though I don't care if it was rejected and I have to go home, however, it is kind of a pity if that happened and all my efforts has gone wasted.
18 months is not a long time. 2008 has passed all too quickly, and I realized that I've not spent this year very wisely. During this 18 months, I have to either find a job in my field, or score at least 7 points in all 4 components in IELTS tests to reapply for PR. I might be going for the IELTS test since finding a job in the media here is so difficult...
Maybe you are wondering, why bother when I don't intend to stay in Australia at all? Yes, I don't, but what can I do when my parents wish so much for me to stay here? With every phonecall with them, their sole concern was the status of my PR, and if I've done everything I should to stay. After having expressed my desire to return home to work and trying my best to convince them, I failed. Mom eventually told me to do whatever I want if that is what I think, but if I ever decide to return home, I must never go back to them and give them more trouble. Moreover, I should look after myself since I am already this 'big', 'big' enough to be fully (fully) independent and if I choose a 'no future' Singapore, it is a decision I will regret later on.
Lately, I've been missing home a lot. I grew up in Singapore, and my base is there. I have faith in Singapore, even though things seem bleak at the moment, but I believe things will be better. True, back home I am restricted with the freedom I get to have here in Australia, but I still prefer home. Like what they say, there is no place like home. WIth my absence this 2 years, I know Singapore has changed a lot. And I feel as if I've lost my touch with my roots. When people asks me about my hometown, I realized I couldn't tell them much at all... Suddenly I feel so frustrated with myself... I couldn't wait to be back, which probably would be very soon!
I've always been told to stay here, and find my future here. For 2 years, without once returning, I've searched blindly, losing hope, losing my dreams, losing faith, losing myself. In the process, perhaps losing my friends, and my family... And yet I am still trying fervently to search, to hope. What am I holding on to? For another 18months I will still try to search. What remains after that? How much of myself do I have to lose before I lose all of my sanity?
How long more do I have to live, listening to others, and unable to decide for myself? How deep must I bury my dreams and realize that it will be too late to dig them all up again??
Finally... after all the wait (almost 1 year!) and worrying that after all the hard work I've put in to get the documents ready, I got the visa. To think 1 month ago I was still worrying over owing documents and might get my TR rejected. Even though I don't care if it was rejected and I have to go home, however, it is kind of a pity if that happened and all my efforts has gone wasted.
18 months is not a long time. 2008 has passed all too quickly, and I realized that I've not spent this year very wisely. During this 18 months, I have to either find a job in my field, or score at least 7 points in all 4 components in IELTS tests to reapply for PR. I might be going for the IELTS test since finding a job in the media here is so difficult...
Maybe you are wondering, why bother when I don't intend to stay in Australia at all? Yes, I don't, but what can I do when my parents wish so much for me to stay here? With every phonecall with them, their sole concern was the status of my PR, and if I've done everything I should to stay. After having expressed my desire to return home to work and trying my best to convince them, I failed. Mom eventually told me to do whatever I want if that is what I think, but if I ever decide to return home, I must never go back to them and give them more trouble. Moreover, I should look after myself since I am already this 'big', 'big' enough to be fully (fully) independent and if I choose a 'no future' Singapore, it is a decision I will regret later on.
Lately, I've been missing home a lot. I grew up in Singapore, and my base is there. I have faith in Singapore, even though things seem bleak at the moment, but I believe things will be better. True, back home I am restricted with the freedom I get to have here in Australia, but I still prefer home. Like what they say, there is no place like home. WIth my absence this 2 years, I know Singapore has changed a lot. And I feel as if I've lost my touch with my roots. When people asks me about my hometown, I realized I couldn't tell them much at all... Suddenly I feel so frustrated with myself... I couldn't wait to be back, which probably would be very soon!
I've always been told to stay here, and find my future here. For 2 years, without once returning, I've searched blindly, losing hope, losing my dreams, losing faith, losing myself. In the process, perhaps losing my friends, and my family... And yet I am still trying fervently to search, to hope. What am I holding on to? For another 18months I will still try to search. What remains after that? How much of myself do I have to lose before I lose all of my sanity?
How long more do I have to live, listening to others, and unable to decide for myself? How deep must I bury my dreams and realize that it will be too late to dig them all up again??
Comments