The Time Traveler's Wife
Stayed up whole night to finish reading "The Time Traveler's Wife"... It is a FANTASTIC book indeed! Very well-written, very alive, very touching... I love the love story between Clare and Henry. Clare met Henry when she was 6 and Henry 36, however, got married when Clare was 22 and Henry 30. It sounds bizarre, but in the fiction world, it is true. Clare waited for Henry all her life, knowing that before she meets Henry for real in the real world, he would have no memory of her. Yet, she waits for him. When she was a little girl, she waits for the older Henry to materialize in the meadows when he is time traveling. And when they are married and he goes time traveling, she waits for him, worrying. And after Henry died leaving her a letter saying that they will meet again when Clare is an old lady, Clare waits patiently for the day to arrive when she can be in Henry's arms again. It is a very moving story, that shows the love that never frays with time and distance. I am truly touched, especially when I approached the end of the story.

Makes me think: timeless - does it exist? Love, for that matter, does it exist? And by love, I mean, true love. Timeless love, in this case, I don't believe in it. Fiction brings us to a world we longed to be in - To love even if you are not physically there all the time; to wait for that person you love to come back; to love endlessly even after you depart from this world; To love and wait for your love in the other world - however in real world, it is probably just a case of one in a 1,000,000 (according to the over 6,000,000,000 people in the world)...
How I wish I am that Clare(ice) and how I wish Henry is 'him'.
Now from his breast into his eyes the ache
of longing mounted, and he wept at last,
his dear wife, clear and faithful, in his arms,
longed for as the sunwarmed earth is longed for by a swimmer
spent in rough water where his ship went down
under Poseidon's blows, gale winds and tons of sea.
Few men can keep alive through a big surf
to crawl, clotted with brine, on kindly beaches
in joy, in joy, knowing the abyss behind:
and so she too rejoiced, her gaze upon her husband,
her white arms round him pressed as though forever.

Makes me think: timeless - does it exist? Love, for that matter, does it exist? And by love, I mean, true love. Timeless love, in this case, I don't believe in it. Fiction brings us to a world we longed to be in - To love even if you are not physically there all the time; to wait for that person you love to come back; to love endlessly even after you depart from this world; To love and wait for your love in the other world - however in real world, it is probably just a case of one in a 1,000,000 (according to the over 6,000,000,000 people in the world)...
How I wish I am that Clare(ice) and how I wish Henry is 'him'.
Now from his breast into his eyes the ache
of longing mounted, and he wept at last,
his dear wife, clear and faithful, in his arms,
longed for as the sunwarmed earth is longed for by a swimmer
spent in rough water where his ship went down
under Poseidon's blows, gale winds and tons of sea.
Few men can keep alive through a big surf
to crawl, clotted with brine, on kindly beaches
in joy, in joy, knowing the abyss behind:
and so she too rejoiced, her gaze upon her husband,
her white arms round him pressed as though forever.
Comments