Juno
Yet another movie I caught alone, because I could not find anyone who finds the storyline interesting enough to go with me. Yet, it was one of the best movies I've caught this year -- JUNO.
Thanks to Andy's strong recommendation, I've decided to catch Juno. Actually I've wanted to catch it, but it wasn't a very high-profile movie here, and I didn't even realise it was already out in the cinemas! Along the way, I have also heard good comments about this movie from colleagues who have watched it. Thinking that I shouldn't wait for anyone who will be bothered to watch this movie, I decided to catch it by myself.

"It all started with a chair"....
The storyline is simple. Sypnoses of the movie did not make it very appealing. It's about this teenage girl, Juno (Ellen Page), 16 years old, got pregnant after having sex with her 'boyfriend', tries to find suitable parents who will be willing to adopt her unborn child as she is too young to raise a kid. She finally found a couple, Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) and Mark, who have wished to have a kid for a long time, yet unable to fulfill their wishes. Of course there will be problems such as carrying a big belly to school and getting stares, but it is an experience that forces the girl to grow up beyond her years in this short frame of time.
Both Andy and I were very tuned in to the last part of the movie, when Juno's father told her about love:
(copied and paste from iMDb)
Juno MacGuff: I'm losing my faith in humanity.
Mac MacGuff: Think you can narrow it down for me?
Juno MacGuff: I guess I wonder sometimes if people ever stay together for good.
Mac MacGuff: You mean like couples?
Juno MacGuff: Yeah, like people in love.
Mac MacGuff: Are you having boy troubles? I gotta be honest; I don't much approve of dating in your condition, 'cause well... that's kind of messed up.
Juno MacGuff: Dad, no!
Mac MacGuff: Well, it's kind of skanky. Isn't that what you girls call it? Skanky? Skeevy?
Juno MacGuff: Please stop now.
Mac MacGuff: [persisting] Tore up from the floor up?
Juno MacGuff: Dad, it's not about that. I just need to know if it's possible for two people to stay happy together forever, or at least for a few years.
Mac MacGuff: It's not easy, that's for sure. Now, I may not have the best track record in the world, but I have been with your stepmother for 10 years now and I'm proud to say that we're very happy.
[Juno nods]
Mac MacGuff: In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with.
Juno MacGuff: I sort of already have.
Mac MacGuff: Well, of course! You're old D-A-D! You know I'll always be there to love and support you no matter what kind of pickle you're in... Obviously
How true! So have you already found your true love???
I thought about my relationship. Is it worth it? Is he the right person eventually for me? Right now - nothing seems right; everything seems wrong. However, this time round, reviewing what Juno's dad has said, I thought about myself: Am I really loving him for who he is? Looks aside, of course I love his good mood and warmth... who wouldn't? However, on the flip side, I detested it when he shows me majority of the time, his bad mood, temper and coldness. I complained when he is like that to me. I fretted and made a fuss (or sometimes a din) when he is like this. How does my behaviour reflect what Juno's father has said about loving a person? To ask myself a question: do I really love him? Am I really the person he should be looking for? If I cannot accept him for who he is, am I a worthy person to him then?
Honestly, even I myself do not know the answer. I can easily say, "yes, I do love him", but then it doesn't seem totally true if I say: "no, I do not". I will give myself reasons that I do deserve better than what I'm receiving. I don't see, why, as a bf, he cannot give me so many things. But, what really is the barrier to all these? I suspect it has to do with a little tortoise who used to be in his life, whose shadow I still cannot walk out from, even up 'til now. Her shadow might be slowly fading away, but how 'slowly' will that take?
There might be a few solutions to this... and I'm still figuring out how. He told me before that I am not emotionally independent, and I am still behaving like a kid. The latter makes me feel very uncomfortable. Brutally honest, but it might be true. Perhaps it is not because I do not know how to think and be an adult. There are some parts in me that I am refusing to fully grow up and be a 24 year old going 25. I also realised that I have turned from bad to worse after meeting him. I have no idea if it is true that love can make a person do silly things. Sometimes when I review back my behaviour, there is no wonder he will call me 'childish'.
Juno taught me a few things. He taught me a few things too. Sometimes, I am glad I've found him because he is definitely more matured than me, and he is the intelligent 'know-all' and 'seen-all'. On the other hand, I've been very much protected in my life, and sheltered before I left Singapore, so my exposure is so much lesser than him. It is under our different upbringings, exposure, different lifestyles and characteristics that we have so much friction. We are so different. But how can we bridge that difference? I really dunno...
Thanks to Andy's strong recommendation, I've decided to catch Juno. Actually I've wanted to catch it, but it wasn't a very high-profile movie here, and I didn't even realise it was already out in the cinemas! Along the way, I have also heard good comments about this movie from colleagues who have watched it. Thinking that I shouldn't wait for anyone who will be bothered to watch this movie, I decided to catch it by myself.

"It all started with a chair"....
The storyline is simple. Sypnoses of the movie did not make it very appealing. It's about this teenage girl, Juno (Ellen Page), 16 years old, got pregnant after having sex with her 'boyfriend', tries to find suitable parents who will be willing to adopt her unborn child as she is too young to raise a kid. She finally found a couple, Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) and Mark, who have wished to have a kid for a long time, yet unable to fulfill their wishes. Of course there will be problems such as carrying a big belly to school and getting stares, but it is an experience that forces the girl to grow up beyond her years in this short frame of time.
Both Andy and I were very tuned in to the last part of the movie, when Juno's father told her about love:
(copied and paste from iMDb)
Juno MacGuff: I'm losing my faith in humanity.
Mac MacGuff: Think you can narrow it down for me?
Juno MacGuff: I guess I wonder sometimes if people ever stay together for good.
Mac MacGuff: You mean like couples?
Juno MacGuff: Yeah, like people in love.
Mac MacGuff: Are you having boy troubles? I gotta be honest; I don't much approve of dating in your condition, 'cause well... that's kind of messed up.
Juno MacGuff: Dad, no!
Mac MacGuff: Well, it's kind of skanky. Isn't that what you girls call it? Skanky? Skeevy?
Juno MacGuff: Please stop now.
Mac MacGuff: [persisting] Tore up from the floor up?
Juno MacGuff: Dad, it's not about that. I just need to know if it's possible for two people to stay happy together forever, or at least for a few years.
Mac MacGuff: It's not easy, that's for sure. Now, I may not have the best track record in the world, but I have been with your stepmother for 10 years now and I'm proud to say that we're very happy.
[Juno nods]
Mac MacGuff: In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with.
Juno MacGuff: I sort of already have.
Mac MacGuff: Well, of course! You're old D-A-D! You know I'll always be there to love and support you no matter what kind of pickle you're in... Obviously
How true! So have you already found your true love???
I thought about my relationship. Is it worth it? Is he the right person eventually for me? Right now - nothing seems right; everything seems wrong. However, this time round, reviewing what Juno's dad has said, I thought about myself: Am I really loving him for who he is? Looks aside, of course I love his good mood and warmth... who wouldn't? However, on the flip side, I detested it when he shows me majority of the time, his bad mood, temper and coldness. I complained when he is like that to me. I fretted and made a fuss (or sometimes a din) when he is like this. How does my behaviour reflect what Juno's father has said about loving a person? To ask myself a question: do I really love him? Am I really the person he should be looking for? If I cannot accept him for who he is, am I a worthy person to him then?
Honestly, even I myself do not know the answer. I can easily say, "yes, I do love him", but then it doesn't seem totally true if I say: "no, I do not". I will give myself reasons that I do deserve better than what I'm receiving. I don't see, why, as a bf, he cannot give me so many things. But, what really is the barrier to all these? I suspect it has to do with a little tortoise who used to be in his life, whose shadow I still cannot walk out from, even up 'til now. Her shadow might be slowly fading away, but how 'slowly' will that take?
There might be a few solutions to this... and I'm still figuring out how. He told me before that I am not emotionally independent, and I am still behaving like a kid. The latter makes me feel very uncomfortable. Brutally honest, but it might be true. Perhaps it is not because I do not know how to think and be an adult. There are some parts in me that I am refusing to fully grow up and be a 24 year old going 25. I also realised that I have turned from bad to worse after meeting him. I have no idea if it is true that love can make a person do silly things. Sometimes when I review back my behaviour, there is no wonder he will call me 'childish'.
Juno taught me a few things. He taught me a few things too. Sometimes, I am glad I've found him because he is definitely more matured than me, and he is the intelligent 'know-all' and 'seen-all'. On the other hand, I've been very much protected in my life, and sheltered before I left Singapore, so my exposure is so much lesser than him. It is under our different upbringings, exposure, different lifestyles and characteristics that we have so much friction. We are so different. But how can we bridge that difference? I really dunno...
Comments