The holidays whizzed past just like that

Spent 1.5 fantastic days back in Singapore, and then had to return back to gloomy Melbourne. I am now so used to the dread now that it has become a natural part of me that I seemed not to 'mind' it at all. But inside, I just wish for a longer holiday so I can at least be a little more familiar with my hometown, spend more time with my family, meet up with more friends, and be away from Australia and work for a longer period. 

I swear I know the other cities better than I know my hometown now. Friends will be suggesting to meet at certain spots in SG and I will look blankly at them hoping that they would be kind enough to be my map and point to me where these places are (and how to get there). I don't know where the cheap and good eats are anymore. My memories of Singapore and its history, people, trivia have all long faded away and what remained in my mind now is all rust and dirt waiting to be cleared away. It's probably a sad story, and it became more of a tragedy with my super lousy goldfish memory which never registers the places I have been to in Singapore. Other than my heavily accented English, nothing else defines me as a Singaporean at all. 

Anyway, the last days in Singapore were fantastic even though I was dead tired. The trip to Taiwan drained me with endless touring, endless walking, endless getting lost and figuring out where I was, endless eating and shopping, endless fun...... I haven't been able to sleep well either. On Saturday, I touched down in Singapore from Taipei at 12.30am. Breakfast with Dad at 8am at Simpang Bedok (ROTI PRATA YAY!!!!), then he brought me to Marina Barrage where we got a good view of the Marina Bay Sands, Singapore Flyer, and Gardens by the Bay. Then it was lunch time with Andy and Vanessa. Ayam Penyet at Bedok Point, then on to De La Creme at Siglap for a cuppa and cake. Cocktails at Haji Lane. Dinner of Kway chap opposite Bugis. Trailed from Bugis to City Hall where the Formula One races are currently being held. Intended to go to the Esplanade but access to the whole place was denied because of the races. In the end we ended up in Simei's kopitiam to chat. The time spent with my two best friends was just splendid. Quality. I am really starting to miss them now!


At Bar Stories in Haji Lane. Love this place, recommended by Andy. The bartenders will whip up cocktails based on your preferences, mood, what you feel like that day, and perhaps your favorite fruit/liqueur. I had mango with rum, which the bartender made stronger for me. Still not strong enough although I would definitely give credit to the taste!
Thank you guys for taking time out to meet me! Especially you, Andy, you have that shit load of work yet you stayed the entire day! *touched* 


And the view from Marina Barrage. Singapore can be pretty like this. There were graduates taking photos as well, and people having picnic. And of course, tourists, like me. 


Last day in Singapore, Dad and I had lunch at People's Park. Fish Head!! I haven't had that in ages! Chinatown was so colourful and vibrant with all its lantern deco for the upcoming Mid Autumn Festival. It was however, too hot to really walk deep into Chinatown so we only shopped a bit and left. Fetched Mummy from home later on and we shopped at Parkway. Farewell at Changi Airport was tough. I really didn't want to leave my hometown, nor my parents, behind. That explains why I was sighing so much with my status update on FB when I touched down Melbourne.

Quick photo together before I go through the gates. 

Surprisingly, Jetstar was really good with all my trips between Taipei and Singapore, as well as from Singapore back to Melbourne. Despite that foul start with that 2.5 hours delay from Melbourne to Singapore, all the other flights were on time. My flight on a A330 back to Melbourne was actually quite comfy despite Jetstar's cheap leather chairs. The flight was not full at all. Originally I was seated with 3 other people in the centre row, but many people moved because there were many unoccupied seats. I moved to the window seat and had the seat next to me empty so I was able to spread out, and even lie down to sleep (though it was a little cramped since I couldn't lie straight). Touched down Melbourne at 6.05am Melbourne time, 40 minutes ahead of schedule. The immigrations were just as shocking as before though - only half of the counters were open, and there were a few flights that just arrived, therefore the queue was excruciating slow-moving! Afterwards, luggage collection was fairly quick, and passing through quarantine was quick too. They no longer had people checking the luggage, but had their trained dogs to sniff out for meat items, drugs as well as other prohibited items. Caught the airport shuttle, and then the train back home, and reached home at around 8.10am. Unpacked a little, showered, and slept soundly til 5.30pm, then did my laundry and now having my dinner. Wanted to go to work after lunch time initially, but thought that it would be wiser for me to just rest up and start tomorrow. 

The weather was welcoming in Melbourne though. Comfortable 18 degrees. I really wish I can somehow 'export' this weather into Singapore... I simply loathe the weather there! 

Thus concluded my short holiday of 11 days. I am already thinking of the next, most likely in December since we have 2 weeks of forced leave for Christmas. I will check out the prices in the next couple of days and may perhaps make the necessary bookings. 

Life back to normal. A normality that I dislike. But what to do when you are already a (matured) adult and you need to make a living? I wish I could just travel as much as I want, 365 days a year if I could! SIGH! 

Comments

Popular Posts