Where is Singapore??
It's been a few times, that one of the world's richest city, central financial hub in Asia with the world's top logistic hub, has been totally forgotten by all the ANG MORS we Asian seem to worship so much.
If you mention the name S-I-N-G-A-P-O-R-E, no one does not know where it is. The first thing that will come up in their minds will be our 'no chewing gum' policy. Next, they will probably mention Changi Airport and Lee Kuan Yew. It will then slowly boil down to more and more ridiculous remarks that I hate replying to: "I plan to go to Singapore in November/December during winter." What am I supposed to say??? Remember to bring the thickest jacket you have??! Oh and don't forget that big scarf! *shivers*
Then, some customers in the restaurant will ask me where I came from. I asked them to guess. Just for fun.
"You're not Japanese, are you?"
"Nope."
"Chinese?"
"Chinese, but not Chinese from China."
"Oh. Indonesia?"
"Nope."
"Korean?"
"Nope."
"Malaysia?"
"Nope."
"THAILAND!"
"er... Nope!"
"Vietnam"
"Nope."
"Hong Kong"
"Nope"
"Taiwan!"
"Nope."
"CAMBODIA!"
"Nope."
"Now tell me where??? Russia?"
"Nope."
"C'mon.... tell me where? Philippines?"
"Nope."
"Myanmar."
"Nope."
"Laos."
"Nope"
"....."
"Happy guessing!"
*struds off*
He/She/They has/have guessed every almost every single Asian country on Earth that a yellow-skin person like me can possibly come from (minus countries like India and the Middle East cuz I am obviously not from there). But there is just one country that is missing....
SINGAPORE
How could they have missed our dear Singapore?! Small as we can be, but stronger than you can imagine!
A fellow Singaporean I know here once told me, even though we are a small country with a big name, we tend to be somehow forgotten. If I have disclosed that I am actually from Singapore, they will not question me on the exact location of my country. Cuz they all know. But no one really remembers our existence until probed.
Actually, what could be the reason behind this? What is the reason behind the apparent insignificance of our country that actually has such significance standing in the world? What will make people think of "Singapore" just as promptly as other Asian countries?? Are we lacking something, or are these 'ang-mohs' simply too ignorant?
If you mention the name S-I-N-G-A-P-O-R-E, no one does not know where it is. The first thing that will come up in their minds will be our 'no chewing gum' policy. Next, they will probably mention Changi Airport and Lee Kuan Yew. It will then slowly boil down to more and more ridiculous remarks that I hate replying to: "I plan to go to Singapore in November/December during winter." What am I supposed to say??? Remember to bring the thickest jacket you have??! Oh and don't forget that big scarf! *shivers*
Then, some customers in the restaurant will ask me where I came from. I asked them to guess. Just for fun.
"You're not Japanese, are you?"
"Nope."
"Chinese?"
"Chinese, but not Chinese from China."
"Oh. Indonesia?"
"Nope."
"Korean?"
"Nope."
"Malaysia?"
"Nope."
"THAILAND!"
"er... Nope!"
"Vietnam"
"Nope."
"Hong Kong"
"Nope"
"Taiwan!"
"Nope."
"CAMBODIA!"
"Nope."
"Now tell me where??? Russia?"
"Nope."
"C'mon.... tell me where? Philippines?"
"Nope."
"Myanmar."
"Nope."
"Laos."
"Nope"
"....."
"Happy guessing!"
*struds off*
He/She/They has/have guessed every almost every single Asian country on Earth that a yellow-skin person like me can possibly come from (minus countries like India and the Middle East cuz I am obviously not from there). But there is just one country that is missing....
SINGAPORE
How could they have missed our dear Singapore?! Small as we can be, but stronger than you can imagine!
A fellow Singaporean I know here once told me, even though we are a small country with a big name, we tend to be somehow forgotten. If I have disclosed that I am actually from Singapore, they will not question me on the exact location of my country. Cuz they all know. But no one really remembers our existence until probed.
Actually, what could be the reason behind this? What is the reason behind the apparent insignificance of our country that actually has such significance standing in the world? What will make people think of "Singapore" just as promptly as other Asian countries?? Are we lacking something, or are these 'ang-mohs' simply too ignorant?
Comments
I would sure wanna see a silly tourist wearing winter fur coat struting down Orchard during 'Winter'... lmao!