GASP with me: I am 3-years-to-30!
Maybe it is because of this fact, I have started to tone down massively when it comes to birthday celebrations.
Few years ago, I will go bonkers on my birthday. I will organize dinners, parties, gatherings etc.... But the past 2 years I've been spending really quiet birthdays. To me, birthday or not, it is just another 24 hours to live by. I actually have to start counting down the short amount of time I have before I reach another stage of my life - the THIRTIES. And perhaps I have 'matured' as well, I didn't think there is really a need to celebrate.
Yesterday, 13 May, was my birthday... I had a really quiet one. Had late dinner with Yiyi on the 12th without her knowing it was going to be my birthday. Actually she knew something was up, but forgot what date it was, and didn't realized it was my birthday... I have asked her, Kylie and Vivian out for dinner, but I did not 'advertise' that I am celebrating a birthday. It all seemed just like a normal dinner gathering. Unfortunately Kylie and Vivian couldn't make it. When Yiyi realized it was my birthday, she treated me to dinner and cakes after, which I felt guilty of, cuz those weren't cheap!

Oysters for my birthday... The best food I can ever get...
These oysters at Kanpai are the best.

Having cookies and cream cheesecake, and apple strudel at Chapelis.
They did not have any candles, so I didn't get to blow out any.
Got home at 3.30am. Eventually got to bed at 5am.....
Then at about 12.15pm on the 13th, the doorbell rang. I flew out of bed to get it, knowing I was expecting something. However, Rich got there before me and received the parcel for me.... Hahaha... Well he was actually going to head out shortly after and he had his room door opened. Plus, his room is closest to the door. Bestie, cum sister, Amelia has sent me a bottle of Rose (from NSW), decorated with some chocolates and a card was attached.... all in a box. Very nice! And it was designated to reach me on my birthday itself. Thank you for your lovely gift, gal!

Everything was in a wooden box like this...
But of course it came in another cardboard box with newspaper around it...

Rose and chocolates lying in the box, with shredded paper protecting the fragile wine bottle.

My lovely gift from Ame
After my Korean class, we had our usual dinner. As usual, I didn't utter a word about my birthday, and was only thinking of having dinner with everyone. But thanks to Facebook, Daniel and Roland knows it is my birthday today. Daniel got me a little cupcake, and Mary, Tony's wife, got me a face cleanser from Korea. Ai-lin, on the other hand, already knows about my birthday today and joined dinner. She is no longer doing Korean with us, but all of us still hang out every now and then...

Cupcake from Daniel.

Cleanser from Mary.
After I got home, I saw a box lying outside my room door. Rich has given me a small box of tidbits... Skittles, Salted peas and lemonades... I am going to gain so much weight from all these snacking! And high sugar + calories content! Sigh!

Snacks from Rich

Before the presents were unwrapped...
I did not take much photos actually... Mostly only pictures of my little presents...
I really appreciate those who took the time to come out for dinner, gave me little gifts, and/or wished me happy birthday via Facebook, call or SMS. Because of you, I had a great birthday, even though I had no parties. Thank you all!
Actually my greatest birthday 'wish' is not to receive lots of presents... It was to hear his voice. Luckily it was not too enormous or greedy a wish, because then I got satisfied pretty easily since he called at 12am sharp and sang Happy birthday song in 4 different languages (kudos to his memory, he can remember the Korean version I sang for him!). I miss him so much, yet I have to curb my feelings, knowing that I am not gonna be seeing him any time soon, and neither are we really 'together' yet. It's a challenge to my sanity, but I think I can do it. I just need to have a better sense of my bearings, and a stronger will and understanding...
And I also need to thank my mommy on this day, for 27 years ago, she bore all the pain in an effort to bring me to this world. I have changed my mother's life after I was born, both for the good and bad. Of course I am her only daughter, and she loves me more than she values her life. However, I haven't been a good enough daughter to return her love... I have been that eccentric and stubborn kid whom she has to try to educate and tolerate for the past 27 years. The disappointment and hurt I have inflicted on her is really massive.... Mommy, thank you for your love! And I am sorry for having being a bad kid..... My birthday is not about me. It is about you and your love when I had my first cry. I miss you, Mommy! :(
Few years ago, I will go bonkers on my birthday. I will organize dinners, parties, gatherings etc.... But the past 2 years I've been spending really quiet birthdays. To me, birthday or not, it is just another 24 hours to live by. I actually have to start counting down the short amount of time I have before I reach another stage of my life - the THIRTIES. And perhaps I have 'matured' as well, I didn't think there is really a need to celebrate.
Yesterday, 13 May, was my birthday... I had a really quiet one. Had late dinner with Yiyi on the 12th without her knowing it was going to be my birthday. Actually she knew something was up, but forgot what date it was, and didn't realized it was my birthday... I have asked her, Kylie and Vivian out for dinner, but I did not 'advertise' that I am celebrating a birthday. It all seemed just like a normal dinner gathering. Unfortunately Kylie and Vivian couldn't make it. When Yiyi realized it was my birthday, she treated me to dinner and cakes after, which I felt guilty of, cuz those weren't cheap!

Oysters for my birthday... The best food I can ever get...
These oysters at Kanpai are the best.

Having cookies and cream cheesecake, and apple strudel at Chapelis.
They did not have any candles, so I didn't get to blow out any.
Got home at 3.30am. Eventually got to bed at 5am.....
Then at about 12.15pm on the 13th, the doorbell rang. I flew out of bed to get it, knowing I was expecting something. However, Rich got there before me and received the parcel for me.... Hahaha... Well he was actually going to head out shortly after and he had his room door opened. Plus, his room is closest to the door. Bestie, cum sister, Amelia has sent me a bottle of Rose (from NSW), decorated with some chocolates and a card was attached.... all in a box. Very nice! And it was designated to reach me on my birthday itself. Thank you for your lovely gift, gal!

Everything was in a wooden box like this...
But of course it came in another cardboard box with newspaper around it...

Rose and chocolates lying in the box, with shredded paper protecting the fragile wine bottle.

My lovely gift from Ame
After my Korean class, we had our usual dinner. As usual, I didn't utter a word about my birthday, and was only thinking of having dinner with everyone. But thanks to Facebook, Daniel and Roland knows it is my birthday today. Daniel got me a little cupcake, and Mary, Tony's wife, got me a face cleanser from Korea. Ai-lin, on the other hand, already knows about my birthday today and joined dinner. She is no longer doing Korean with us, but all of us still hang out every now and then...

Cupcake from Daniel.

Cleanser from Mary.
After I got home, I saw a box lying outside my room door. Rich has given me a small box of tidbits... Skittles, Salted peas and lemonades... I am going to gain so much weight from all these snacking! And high sugar + calories content! Sigh!

Snacks from Rich

Before the presents were unwrapped...
I did not take much photos actually... Mostly only pictures of my little presents...
I really appreciate those who took the time to come out for dinner, gave me little gifts, and/or wished me happy birthday via Facebook, call or SMS. Because of you, I had a great birthday, even though I had no parties. Thank you all!
Actually my greatest birthday 'wish' is not to receive lots of presents... It was to hear his voice. Luckily it was not too enormous or greedy a wish, because then I got satisfied pretty easily since he called at 12am sharp and sang Happy birthday song in 4 different languages (kudos to his memory, he can remember the Korean version I sang for him!). I miss him so much, yet I have to curb my feelings, knowing that I am not gonna be seeing him any time soon, and neither are we really 'together' yet. It's a challenge to my sanity, but I think I can do it. I just need to have a better sense of my bearings, and a stronger will and understanding...
And I also need to thank my mommy on this day, for 27 years ago, she bore all the pain in an effort to bring me to this world. I have changed my mother's life after I was born, both for the good and bad. Of course I am her only daughter, and she loves me more than she values her life. However, I haven't been a good enough daughter to return her love... I have been that eccentric and stubborn kid whom she has to try to educate and tolerate for the past 27 years. The disappointment and hurt I have inflicted on her is really massive.... Mommy, thank you for your love! And I am sorry for having being a bad kid..... My birthday is not about me. It is about you and your love when I had my first cry. I miss you, Mommy! :(
Comments
1) I am impressed with the packaging of the rose wine and really hope u would like it as well as enjoy it.
2) I am glad he did remember your birthday and did give u a call at least to greet u.
3) I am also happy that u did not spend the birthday staying home and countdown to 14th May.
4) I believe u r much of a filial daughter and better daughter to ur mum than me. Thus, she would be blessed to be given a daughter like u who loves her so much and cares for her.
Anyway, I would be having part 2 birthday celebrations with my parents without Jeff tonight as he claims he is busy and can't make it due to work commitments (yet again)... So I am looking forward to the buffet dinner with my parents!! Woo hoo!
I haven't tried the rose wine yet but will do soon... still have heaps of alcohol waiting for me and i don't want to open up the bottle unless i can be sure to finish it within 3 days (it is best to finish wine after 3-4 days of opening... fresher).