Oh BROTHER....! Part 4

Phone rings...

Customer: This is David. Can I book a table for 4 in about 20 minutes?
Me: (checked with the bar person) Yes, you can.
Customer: Is it gonna be downstairs?
Me: (checked) Yes, it will be downstairs. And your name is David?
Customer: Yes. You know me. David.
Me: (puzzled) Sure. So see you in 20 minutes!
Customer: Yep. They all know me. It's David.
Me: (what?!) Sure. See you in 20 minutes!

Excuse me, sir... We have at least 10 customers by the name of David. Am I supposed to know which David you are? And sorry I didn't even recognise you when you came in!

Seriously, what's with customers these days? They have this 'slogan' they carry with them everywhere they go: "I am a regular here. You ALL know me!" Sure.... -__-;;;

**********


Everyone likes to give themselves an English name. Honestly I think English names are amongst the least creative ever. So many people are named David, Peter, John, Daniel, Michael, Mary, Michelle, Catherine, Amanda and Kelly... just to name a few. Just think, just one night itself, I can at least have 3 different Davids and 2 different Michaels for takeaway. Try going onto the streets and yell "MICHELLE!!!!!"... Tell me how many people will respond? Personally I know FIVE different Michelles here, and FOUR different Daniels. What's so unique about these names? It seems like everyone has the same names everywhere.

In contrast, I think Chinese names are unique. True, there are many similar names as well, but at least you can do be a lot more creative with these names. However, most Chinese do not value these names and give themselves a common English name instead. Why is that so?

Even I had an English name, even though I had that name for almost 15 years now... But I don't know the answer. Someone else tell me?

**********


Today, Melbourne went through an extreme weather - hail and thuderstorms. The entire Melborne was flooded.

Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92JqAPl7uAA

Luckily I wasn't in the city. However when the rain pelted down I was dreading cuz I had to work today and my feet got quite muddy by the time I made it to the restaurant (late!). Some of my colleagues were running late cuz of the weather. Trains and trams weren't working properly and many people were stranded in the heavy rain. The hail didn't last for too long before the storm. Weather forecasts said that there's gonna be more storms and heavy rain tomorrow (Sunday)! I would say everywhere's gonna be either flooded, if not, muddy.

It was quite horrible. However, I am somehow glad in the sense that autumn is here, and perhaps it will be good-bye to the heat!


Comments

melbourne sure has very interesting weather... :)

Popular Posts