The Power of Marketing
Having graduated from a Marketing degree and knowing a lot of concepts related to the field, I can still be 'creative' in terms of thinking up ideas for sales and promotion, and also building brand image, brand loyalty and brand equity. However, do not EVER ask me to sell things personally. That might not be directly involved with marketing, but then sales is also an aspect of marketing skills that I never possess. However, I can be a 'victim' to people with really good selling skills - they just talk in that reassuring, convincing way that you will eventually feel bad for not buying anything.
I was that 'victim' a few days ago. What was I a victim of? Victoria Jackson cosmetics that were on promotion. I bought something for $45 knowing that I do not use make-up that much. But, I still bought it. Why? Thanks to the 2 sales representatives who managed to convince me to buy the product, even though I have already told them that I do not use make-up very often.
They were having 2 products at Boxhill from the Victoria Jackson cosmetic range on sale that day - $40 for either the compact make-up kit (which folds into one small box with all kinds of colours for the eyes, cheeks, lips etc, originally selling for $130), and the survival kit (which is really small and handy you can just carry it in your bag everywhere, originally selling for $110). I was told Victoria Jackson is a professional make-up artist for many Hollywood celebrities, and her products are only accessible to the celebrities but not for other people out there. She is also famous for her no make-up "make-up", which emphasizes on the natural look rather than the heavy look. To be honest, it was good bargain. And then, I got myself the survival kit, for convenience in case I need to travel. To be honest, I would rather buy the little booklet by Victoria Jackson detailing all the make-up tips for different types of faces and features. I found that really interesting, but it will cost $10 outright, but by buying the survival kit, they charged me only $5, and even threw in a compact of 5-colour eye-shadow for me free. Alright, it was good bargain, but then, I really shouldn't have bought the kit knowing that I might just leave them there to rot or something. Oh well, I really feel bad pushing them off, and on top of that, I do not have good bargaining skills to push them off... *shrugs* Call me gullible.

This was what I bought... It's actually pretty cool...
The guy who started promoting to me was good. He gave a good kick start by gushing that I had on a really lovely scarf that he decided to give me the booklet and promote the products to me. Despite that I knew that all these were gimmicks to attract customers to become actual consumers, I still stopped and listened to them promote. Usually I'll just walk away with a "No thanks!" but this time round I didn't.
Selling, selling, selling... It seems like there's nothing too tough about it, however, there is a much deeper and more profound knowledge embedded in this concept that not everyone naturally have, but could possibly be trained. Me, for one, might never be trained to be able to sell effectively. Call me someone without confidence. But selling is not my thing. That's why I never aim for selling jobs with commission. I will be living life off plain white rice and soy sauce if I did!
I was that 'victim' a few days ago. What was I a victim of? Victoria Jackson cosmetics that were on promotion. I bought something for $45 knowing that I do not use make-up that much. But, I still bought it. Why? Thanks to the 2 sales representatives who managed to convince me to buy the product, even though I have already told them that I do not use make-up very often.
They were having 2 products at Boxhill from the Victoria Jackson cosmetic range on sale that day - $40 for either the compact make-up kit (which folds into one small box with all kinds of colours for the eyes, cheeks, lips etc, originally selling for $130), and the survival kit (which is really small and handy you can just carry it in your bag everywhere, originally selling for $110). I was told Victoria Jackson is a professional make-up artist for many Hollywood celebrities, and her products are only accessible to the celebrities but not for other people out there. She is also famous for her no make-up "make-up", which emphasizes on the natural look rather than the heavy look. To be honest, it was good bargain. And then, I got myself the survival kit, for convenience in case I need to travel. To be honest, I would rather buy the little booklet by Victoria Jackson detailing all the make-up tips for different types of faces and features. I found that really interesting, but it will cost $10 outright, but by buying the survival kit, they charged me only $5, and even threw in a compact of 5-colour eye-shadow for me free. Alright, it was good bargain, but then, I really shouldn't have bought the kit knowing that I might just leave them there to rot or something. Oh well, I really feel bad pushing them off, and on top of that, I do not have good bargaining skills to push them off... *shrugs* Call me gullible.

This was what I bought... It's actually pretty cool...
The guy who started promoting to me was good. He gave a good kick start by gushing that I had on a really lovely scarf that he decided to give me the booklet and promote the products to me. Despite that I knew that all these were gimmicks to attract customers to become actual consumers, I still stopped and listened to them promote. Usually I'll just walk away with a "No thanks!" but this time round I didn't.
Selling, selling, selling... It seems like there's nothing too tough about it, however, there is a much deeper and more profound knowledge embedded in this concept that not everyone naturally have, but could possibly be trained. Me, for one, might never be trained to be able to sell effectively. Call me someone without confidence. But selling is not my thing. That's why I never aim for selling jobs with commission. I will be living life off plain white rice and soy sauce if I did!
Comments