A DAMN-est BUSY Life

Now jingling the Wild Turkey and coke in my hands, I am trying to keep myself calm and relaxed. It is a Saturday (already) after all. Welcome the weekends! This is the first Saturday since I've been back, that I can fully relax. Finally tomorrow, I get to rest the entire day!

For my full-time job in the day, I am now officially an Invoicer. To be specific, my title is "Jewellery Purchasing Assistant". My role involves the following:

- Liasing with buyers
- Put up new orders on our system to show we are ordering them and their expected delivery dates
- Send new purchase orders to suppliers
- Chase up / Follow up orders and do Catalogue chases as well
- Upon confirmation, we need to do something called '\c300' to put in the stock on our system to show that the quantity is being shipped.
- Unpack parcels when stock arrives
- Put up the invoice for the accounts department to pay off supplier and other creditors, and also to show current stock holdings/status
- Skuiing - for new products without a SKU on it
ETC.

There are several other miscellaneous things in this role as well, but those are the broad categories. I will be dealing mainly with diamond products, and sometimes silver as well. I work closely with all the invoicers - Kate, the silver invoicer; Penn, the diamond invoicer; and Li, the gold invoicer (who is also my lunch buddy). I am the all-rounded one. I am one of those in the office who is familiar with our company's products. My direct manager is a English man called Guy, and I will also work closely with Ange and Lizi, the diamond buyers.

I am now 3 weeks into the job, and they said I am picking up well, even though I am asking loads of questions when I am unsure. All the other things are OK, except when I am doing invoices. They are just so frustrating! It is just like doing accounting without the T-ledger, P/L and BS. I suck at Math and hate having to calculate, least to say, make sure the balances of my invoices tally. There are so many tiny details to take note of so as not to make any mistakes and get picked up (and yelled at) by the people in Accounts department (who aren't very nice people). Recently my head hurts like crazy towards the end of the day because I'm stressing out, and have been racking my brains...

Don't ask me why I changed departments again. I didn't change voluntarily. It was actually a sort of 'promotion' as recommended by my manager Katie (the silver buyer) who thinks of 'saving' me from the 'soon-to-merge-with-head-office' department, Party Plan, and bring me to a more solid role. I was being transferred to Party Plan 3 months ago because they need a new OFT member. However now, the company is going through major changes through their so-called 'process improvement project' and Party Plan will soon merge, therefore my role will become less significant. As much as I dislike working with Katie, sometimes I think she values me as a staff member by giving me lots of opportunities. Therefore, here I am doing something I am totally clueless about. Good to learn more new things nonetheless!

And then, at night, I go to my part-time night job... The boss there gave me a pay rise again because it is time. And of course, to keep me there since Mr. M has left and a couple of staff are leaving soon as well... Pay rise is always good, however, with more money comes more responsibilities. On top of what I usually do, I need to train new people, manage the floor and keep operations in order. In other words, I got to do lots of controlling. I've been 'thrown' into the bar all the time and am the 'in-charge' person. As much as I like working in the bar, it is still such a stressful place to be!

Usually the seniors will rotate between "Bar", "Float" and "Up". "Bar" person is usually the in-charge person, and he/she needs to have a clear mind of what is going on in the restaurant, as well as doing the drinks, tills, manage reservations and seating arrangements, and pack sushi takeaway. He/She will work under the scrutiny of the boss (who is also the sushi chef). "Float" person is usually the person who backs everyone up, therefore he/she needs to be very strong and also knows what each table in the restaurant is having and what is the conditions of each and every happenings in the restaurant. "Up" person will be in-charge upstairs, but as we usually try not to put people upstairs as much as we could, "Up" person would usually be half a float person, and can work independently. Prior to working as a bar and float person, I usually work upstairs. It is tedious, but I am happy to know that I am being trusted.

If you work on Sunday and is the "Dish-Out" person, it is also a very stressful position. You assist the kitchen, and control all the (overflowing) orders. I did that many times and I totally freaked out. "Services" is usually for new people. Anyone can do "Front" and "Back" but they are just more of the basic service, and usually we let juniors handle these sections until they get more familiar.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Positions are usually written out before the start of every night... Look at how 'bian-tai' it is - I am always in the bar... If not, I will be "Float". And last Sunday, I was the "Float", "Back" (with Dalivanh who was new therefore I got to guide her) and the person controlling all the phone takeaways. It was crazy!!!

Pimples have been sprouting out on my face and back because of all the stress I've been receiving. On top of that, my migranes are getting more frequent.

Perhaps I should be quitting one job soon instead of hanging on a strand of thread like this. However, I really need the money....... :(


P/s: I know I whinge a lot about my job. But after a couple of bourbons after these weeks of hard work, don't blame me lah.... :'(

Comments

Popular Posts