Movie Marathon #2
it'sMovie marathon again?? Amist of a major thesis? You must be kidding...
Well... I'm not kidding, but it wasn't exactly a movie marathon in a day or something. It was more like over a couple of days... A week plus to be exact. Watched a total of 6 movies - from very old, to old, to recent, to just-out-in-cinemas.
I really really loved "Ratatouille"~~ It was such a funny movie, about this rat who can REALLY cook, helps this fella who cannot cook in the kitchen of one of Paris' finest dining restaurants, and he hid in his toque, pulling his hair as an indication of what he should do and the ingredients to add... Very interesting, and very humourous. And the rat is really really cute! One of the best animations in 2007!

I haven't watched a Black+white movie in ages~ But for my Media ethics class we watched "Good Night, and Good Luck", by David Straithairn, Jeff Daniels, George Clooney (he wrote and directed it) and others whom I'm not sure who. It was an excellent movie, about the broadcast, journalism and tv in the 1950s, where journalist Edward Murrow attempts to take down Senator Joseph McCarthy through his news program. I actually liked it though I was trying very hard to keep awake (not enough sleep!).
Another excellent movie, as people will probably have agreed or known, is "Forrest Gump". Yeah, it's weird that I haven't even watched this Oscar-winning movie with an equally talented Tom Hanks and Robin Wright in it. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get". A movie with deep meaning, and that such a innocent pure man could affect the lives of so many people. It is indeed a moving movie.

This was one of the movies which I was dying to watch last time, but in the end, didn't get to. However, after watching it, I don't think the movie was really that good afterall... "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens, and acted by Ethan Hawke, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Bancroft and Robert DeNiro. The book was much better, even though I understand that this movie was not a full adaptation of the book.

Where humour was needed, I get to see "Last Holiday" by Queen Latifah and LL Cool J, which did give me a good laugh. Queen Latifah never fails to make me fall off my seat gasping for breath. It's about this sales woman, who was mistakenly diagnosed for a terminal illness that only has 3 weeks for her to live, decides to liquidate all her bonds and whisk off for the world's most luxurious holiday in Europe.

"Maundy Thursday" (우리들 의 행복한 시간) is a sad, beautiful movie, about a suicidal young woman (Lee Na Young), who is also an university professor with a troubled and neglected past. She was introduced by her aunt Sister Monica to spend time at jail with this criminal (Kang Dong Won) convicted with 3 counts of murder (which he only murdered one person under that circumstance, not that he wanted to) and is facing a death row. The two were drawn to each other with their wounded souls, as they find ways to heal each other. The only thing they look forward to is to meet for 3 hours every Thursday whilst they share stories and console each other.
The part where I cried was the way the director portrayed how the criminals on death row were being dragged to the execution hall. Starting from a criminal having a happy dinner with his cell mates, then having an officer coming to announce "You've got visitor". Upon hearing that it had him to think it's someone related to them or someone they love who have came, and they showed how happy and excited they were... Yet... 'visitor' means 'execution'. After this realisation sunk in moments later, they were towed away with handcuffs by two officers, down this long, dreary hall to the execution room. It was really really saddening.... It was even more saddening when they showed Kang Dong Won seated in the room, death awaiting, crying hysterically, asking for forgiveness, telling Lee Na Young he loved her... Then the sack was put over his head, together with the hanging rope... And the struggling officer who could not bear to press the final button to hang him... yet with trembling arms, and under strict orders, he had to, which left him scarred forever...

I don't understand why am I so drawn to this movie. The director managed to portray the helplessness when bereavement beckons... the fragility of life... The unfairness of the world... Saddens me lots... The songs are really nice too. I think this is one of the Korean movies which I will list as a 'must-watch'.
**************************************************************
Finally, I left Chom Chom... Last Sunday was my last day... It was kinda sad to go, cuz I've been there for... 9 months? Around there. But then, half of me I'm glad... It's been a toll working there lately... Getting really tired. Not to mention about my emotional/personal problems. However, ever since our 'confessions' so-called, it seems like my 'not meeting him anymore' will be void. Well, I met him on Tuesday for movies (and so many sweet things happened... or at least I felt sweet)... and on Saturday should be meeting him and the rest for dinner... SO... I dunno... I'll just have to see how it goes... But every night I'm still looking at my phone, like some silly gal... praying it will ring, even if it's just a sms. And only that specific ringtone, and that specific caller ID, that specific voice I'll be hearing... But my prayers were never answered.... Haiz... Who knows his credits might have gone to another person, but I cannot do anything about it either, and I know I shouldn't assume. I really have to curb this really bad habit of mine - both assuming things when it comes to him, and to wait for his calls every night.
When I left, I treated everyone in the restaurant a blackforest cake... One whole cake that is, from Breadtop. It was my 'parting gift' so-called. And I got a bonus from my boss too... which surprised me. Even though I was told a different reason for the bonus, I just told myself that it's just a way for my boss to show his appreciation for my efforts the past few months.

Anyway, this week I've been busy too... even though it's not with work. It's either classes, or I'll be stuck in the library doing my thesis (and being more productive than working at home!), or I'll be at Radio Monash, or having lunch with classmates, discussing school work and simply chit-chatting.... It's all good fun. A good break from work too. Though soon I'll start to feel empty without work, but I got to get used to it. Just today I've went for an interview at Bevilles Jewellers for a casual position, but I am really skeptical whether I will get the job cuz there are so many applicants for that 2 or 3 positions. Unless I really stand out, I doubt I'll get it. However, I managed to secure my own program on Radio Monash!! I am delighted for this opportunity, and Philip Norton, the radio co-ordinator helped me put together my advertisement on radio and now it's my job to do my own advertising around campus. I'll be doing a dedication program, so I'll be inviting students to write in to me~ My program will start next Friday, at 4pm (Melbourne time). So, if you are interested, go to www.radiomonash.net and tune in to me~ :)
New life for me~ I'm loving it~
Well... I'm not kidding, but it wasn't exactly a movie marathon in a day or something. It was more like over a couple of days... A week plus to be exact. Watched a total of 6 movies - from very old, to old, to recent, to just-out-in-cinemas.
I really really loved "Ratatouille"~~ It was such a funny movie, about this rat who can REALLY cook, helps this fella who cannot cook in the kitchen of one of Paris' finest dining restaurants, and he hid in his toque, pulling his hair as an indication of what he should do and the ingredients to add... Very interesting, and very humourous. And the rat is really really cute! One of the best animations in 2007!

I haven't watched a Black+white movie in ages~ But for my Media ethics class we watched "Good Night, and Good Luck", by David Straithairn, Jeff Daniels, George Clooney (he wrote and directed it) and others whom I'm not sure who. It was an excellent movie, about the broadcast, journalism and tv in the 1950s, where journalist Edward Murrow attempts to take down Senator Joseph McCarthy through his news program. I actually liked it though I was trying very hard to keep awake (not enough sleep!).
Another excellent movie, as people will probably have agreed or known, is "Forrest Gump". Yeah, it's weird that I haven't even watched this Oscar-winning movie with an equally talented Tom Hanks and Robin Wright in it. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get". A movie with deep meaning, and that such a innocent pure man could affect the lives of so many people. It is indeed a moving movie.

This was one of the movies which I was dying to watch last time, but in the end, didn't get to. However, after watching it, I don't think the movie was really that good afterall... "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens, and acted by Ethan Hawke, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Bancroft and Robert DeNiro. The book was much better, even though I understand that this movie was not a full adaptation of the book.

Where humour was needed, I get to see "Last Holiday" by Queen Latifah and LL Cool J, which did give me a good laugh. Queen Latifah never fails to make me fall off my seat gasping for breath. It's about this sales woman, who was mistakenly diagnosed for a terminal illness that only has 3 weeks for her to live, decides to liquidate all her bonds and whisk off for the world's most luxurious holiday in Europe.

"Maundy Thursday" (우리들 의 행복한 시간) is a sad, beautiful movie, about a suicidal young woman (Lee Na Young), who is also an university professor with a troubled and neglected past. She was introduced by her aunt Sister Monica to spend time at jail with this criminal (Kang Dong Won) convicted with 3 counts of murder (which he only murdered one person under that circumstance, not that he wanted to) and is facing a death row. The two were drawn to each other with their wounded souls, as they find ways to heal each other. The only thing they look forward to is to meet for 3 hours every Thursday whilst they share stories and console each other.
The part where I cried was the way the director portrayed how the criminals on death row were being dragged to the execution hall. Starting from a criminal having a happy dinner with his cell mates, then having an officer coming to announce "You've got visitor". Upon hearing that it had him to think it's someone related to them or someone they love who have came, and they showed how happy and excited they were... Yet... 'visitor' means 'execution'. After this realisation sunk in moments later, they were towed away with handcuffs by two officers, down this long, dreary hall to the execution room. It was really really saddening.... It was even more saddening when they showed Kang Dong Won seated in the room, death awaiting, crying hysterically, asking for forgiveness, telling Lee Na Young he loved her... Then the sack was put over his head, together with the hanging rope... And the struggling officer who could not bear to press the final button to hang him... yet with trembling arms, and under strict orders, he had to, which left him scarred forever...

I don't understand why am I so drawn to this movie. The director managed to portray the helplessness when bereavement beckons... the fragility of life... The unfairness of the world... Saddens me lots... The songs are really nice too. I think this is one of the Korean movies which I will list as a 'must-watch'.
**************************************************************
Finally, I left Chom Chom... Last Sunday was my last day... It was kinda sad to go, cuz I've been there for... 9 months? Around there. But then, half of me I'm glad... It's been a toll working there lately... Getting really tired. Not to mention about my emotional/personal problems. However, ever since our 'confessions' so-called, it seems like my 'not meeting him anymore' will be void. Well, I met him on Tuesday for movies (and so many sweet things happened... or at least I felt sweet)... and on Saturday should be meeting him and the rest for dinner... SO... I dunno... I'll just have to see how it goes... But every night I'm still looking at my phone, like some silly gal... praying it will ring, even if it's just a sms. And only that specific ringtone, and that specific caller ID, that specific voice I'll be hearing... But my prayers were never answered.... Haiz... Who knows his credits might have gone to another person, but I cannot do anything about it either, and I know I shouldn't assume. I really have to curb this really bad habit of mine - both assuming things when it comes to him, and to wait for his calls every night.
When I left, I treated everyone in the restaurant a blackforest cake... One whole cake that is, from Breadtop. It was my 'parting gift' so-called. And I got a bonus from my boss too... which surprised me. Even though I was told a different reason for the bonus, I just told myself that it's just a way for my boss to show his appreciation for my efforts the past few months.

Anyway, this week I've been busy too... even though it's not with work. It's either classes, or I'll be stuck in the library doing my thesis (and being more productive than working at home!), or I'll be at Radio Monash, or having lunch with classmates, discussing school work and simply chit-chatting.... It's all good fun. A good break from work too. Though soon I'll start to feel empty without work, but I got to get used to it. Just today I've went for an interview at Bevilles Jewellers for a casual position, but I am really skeptical whether I will get the job cuz there are so many applicants for that 2 or 3 positions. Unless I really stand out, I doubt I'll get it. However, I managed to secure my own program on Radio Monash!! I am delighted for this opportunity, and Philip Norton, the radio co-ordinator helped me put together my advertisement on radio and now it's my job to do my own advertising around campus. I'll be doing a dedication program, so I'll be inviting students to write in to me~ My program will start next Friday, at 4pm (Melbourne time). So, if you are interested, go to www.radiomonash.net and tune in to me~ :)
New life for me~ I'm loving it~
Comments