My Thermal Jacket to Combat the Harsh Winter
Opened the door last Thursday morning to find two parcels lying just outside the door. Only one of them is for me, and on the package it read 'jacket' on the description, and the sender's name. I was jumping up and down cuz the $150 thermal jacket reached me so quickly, just in time before I leave for my trip!!!
The jacket is indeed warm. Brand 'Empyre' (think it's an American brand. Sender's from the States anyway), and the quality is really good. Felt relieved once again for purchasing it online, and still receiving a very good bargain with good quality. With that jacket, I guess I don't have to be too fussed with what I wear. Probably I'll layer it up, but then I can even wear a short sleeve as my base because everywhere in Korea has very good heating system and people do wear short sleeves indoors. And then I have the UGG boots I've bought on Boxing Day. PLUS, if anything goes wrong, Korea is a good and cheap place to shop at. So I am not afraid at all!
My jacket - from ebay images.
Despite my excitement, however, my Korean seems to have gone down the hill ever since I've had my last class... I haven't been revising, and I found myself unable to co-ordinate my sentences properly when I talk to my Korean friends. ARGH... I hope I can survive in Korea.
Last weekend has been a fantastic one. Since Korean classes have came to an end, I've opted to work on Tuesdays and take Saturdays off since most of my friends have Mon-Fri workdays. I've organized a dinner gathering for my friends from Korean class because it has been a few weeks since the last class, and the fact that I will be going overseas for a while. Therefore last Saturday I've planned, arranged and booked at Gunhg - a new Korean BBQ place on McKillop St. in the city. The entire night was great, and most people managed to make it (Ai-lin, Mary, Tony, Daniel, Cathy, Lucian, Jingyan and her bf Brendon). We had so much meat, plus seafood pancake and dumplings, as well as 'after-BBQ-desserts' Korean-style. After dinner, Ai-lin suggested we have some desserts at Passionflower. Ice-creams were great after a heaty BBQ, however, we were all so bloated afterwards!

Everyone at Gunhg
On Sunday I met Jay for lunch on Chapel Street. Following Ai-lin's recommendations from the previous night, we dined at Orange - a bistro/cafe/bar. There were roadside dining, indoors near the bustling counter, quieter indoors, and a pretty outdoors where flowers fall from the skies (or trees - they just fall from time to time, into our coffee, our water, our food and our hair~). Jay and I opted to sit outside and it was surprisingly cooling even though the weather was quite warm. Despite the great ambience, we didn't find the food there very good..... only average.... Not as delicious as how Ai-lin has described. We had great times though. Jay and I did some sort of 'language exchange' even though she taught me a lot more Korean than I did with English. Really grateful for her because she is VERY patient when she was teaching me. She even attempted to draw maps to show me where different places in Seoul I can visit. I really love this girl!
After lunch we went to Prahran Market and then sat down for coffeeat Market Lane Coffee. Their coffee there are freshly (and also differently) brewed, and tasted really yummy.
It was also Jay's 30th birthday (on15 January), so 생일축하해, 언니!!

Jay and I
I can't wait to get out of here to go overseas! Work has been tough, especially ever since the entrance of two new, arrogant and bad-mannered new staff. One of them has been constantly getting on my nerves, and I couldn't control her without her shooting rude remarks back at me. I was getting exasperated because as a senior I couldn't even get my juniors to listen and follow my instructions. Worse still, the bosses and my senior do not seem to be too disturbed by this issue, and even though the younger boss has talked to her, he didn't emphasize on her behaviour. I feel like no one is on my side and I am standing all by myself combating these evil characters. So, I chose not to care and simply do my own work. Anyway these days I've been working a lot in the bar, or upstairs, so I don't have to be too concerned with them.
What's more, there are conflicting issues that both the older boss and younger boss have, and there are many new 'rules' 'enforced'. Or, to emphasize - more 'stupid' rules. Especially the younger boss - he makes totally ridiculous decisions, holds a very bad point of view, and always appreciates the wrong people. They are also expecting so much things out of us for the peanuts we are getting. In fact, as we have analyzed, they are working against the Australian labour law (in some aspects), and we can actually sue them if we want to. But what can we poor people do at the moment? If we have had a choice we wouldn't be working at this place, isn't it?
Last night, however, the new girl gave me a huge surprise. Her attitude has obviously changed, and she even initiated chatting with me. I haven't gotten my head around the change, and when I got home, I saw Zhan on FB Chat and we talked about the day (the younger boss is crazy! He reprimanded Zhan for nothing so she was really unhappy). Zhan told me she has advised this girl, saying to her that I am actually a very nice person, just that she doesn't know me. Zhan also advised her that she should listen to her seniors because we are all looking out for her and correcting her wrongs. Plus, she told her that I can be very serious when I am working, but I meant good. This girl surprised Zhan by agreeing to listen. And I was surprised as well, but I really have my fingers and toes crossed that this seemingly 'improved' behaviour will be here to stay....
Oh well... I am still craning my neck for my holidays... 2 weeks more~~~

Comments