Doha.... Here I come!!

Yes, I have booked my tickets to Doha, Qatar, and I will be flying off on the 15 September 2:40AM. Which means, I got to get to airport on the night of 14 September.

I will be in Doha for a week with my parents. I am really really itching to visit Dubai as well. However, Dad and Mom will be visiting Dubai and Cairos this month, and won't be able to bring me there. Plus, I haven't got the time to do my traveling research, and I do not have enough finances (since I need to save up for my next trip end of the year). Maybe next time then...

I am really excited!! Less than a month now.... WOOT!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Photobucket


"The Shadow of the Wind" is a fantastic mystery novel. However, it took me almost a year to complete it. It's a pretty thick book with small writings, but because of work, I am either too tired to read, or I haven't actually got the time to read. The excitement escalates about 3/4 through, and I remember there were nights where I stayed up to read until 4.30am before collapsing in bed. That was how I finally finished the book!

This book was originally written in Spanish by Carlos Ruiz Zafón in 2001, and was translated into English by Lucia Graves in 2004. The entire story setting is in Spain itself anyway, in post Spanish Civil War. Not long after the war, young Daniel's father brought him to the Cemetry of Forgotten Books, where according to tradition, people can only take one book and protect it for life. Daniel chose the book "The Shadow of the Wind" by Julian Carax, and was engrossed with both its plot, and the author. However, he couldn't find any of Julian Carax's other books anywhere. Soon, he became very interested in the life of Carax, and how Carax's life seems to reflect parts of his own life. Plus the reason behind why all Carax books were burnt, the shadowy figure who calls himself Lain Coubert who doesn't seem to have a face, his love for Penelope Aldaya, the disappearance of Aldaya's family as a result of their love, Nuria Monfort's love for him, the villian commander Fumero who seemed to be making everything difficult, and the unspoken sin. Together with his good friend and fellow bookstore keeper Fermin, Daniel digs into the truth.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Instead of going to Ai-lin's hat party last Saturday, I met up with Clayton (or Mr. M) for dinner and drinks.

None of my friends have intended, or some couldn't actually made it, to the party. I was going to go, but then since no one I know was going, I pulled out in the end. Anyway, Clayton has been asking me out for a catch-up for several times, all at the wrong times because I was busy. We had dinner at Kimchi Grandma in Carnegie, and then off to our old place at Caulfield TAB for drinks until 1.30am. From him, I learnt more about our regular customers at Sozai. Who tips the most. Who works in a bank/art gallery/fish market/real estate. Who always hate waiting for more than 1 minute when they order takeaway. Who always order the same kind of food. ETC. There are just these little things that I may not have noticed, though I know every single regular customer by their name. All I know is, the customers who patron our restaurant are mostly FILTHY RICH. If not, how can all these regulars come without fail, once a week/once a fortnight, when our food is not cheap? Clayton recalled ever sending takeaway to a customer's home because we made a mistake and they were really angry with us. Their house was in Toorak (rich area) and their house was so huge, the kitchen itself is already as big as the size of our restaurant. He was almost blown over, and the customer even asked him to go inside the house for a drink. I know how these customers are so rich, from the way they carry themselves, right down to swiping their platinum American Express cards to a $500 dinner bill. Most of them tip generously when they think service is good. I wish I can be like them sometimes.... At least I don't have to worry about my finances, and having to save up all the time so I can pay my rent....

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


There are high chances that Korean 8 may be going ahead after all. We just met up for dinner and discussed the 2 options CAE gave us: 1) 16 lessons for an increased price of $480; 2) 12 lessons for the same price of $366. Naturally most of us were bent towards the second option. In that way, Korean 8 will finish in 3 months, and I will only miss 1 class because I'll be in Doha. Plus, I can go to Korea straight after level 8's done. Cathy will be contacting the institute tomorrow and see how we go. We're keeping our fingers crossed.


Comments

Popular Posts