Derby Day
For the first time in the 6 years I am here, I attended Melbourne Cup Day's "Derby Day".
Don't ask me what "Derby Day" means. I haven't got the slightest clue. Apart from Derby Day, I have also heard of Oaks Day, and then it will be the Melbourne Cup Spring Racing carnival, where we will get our public holiday! This year, Melbourne Cup Day is on Tuesday 3 November, therefore it will be a holiday for all Melburnian! There are also other races such as the Caulfield Cup, but they are not as major as the Melbourne Cup.
Melbourne's horse racing events forms a big part of the culture here. In previous years, I have never found the opportunity to attend the event though I really should have gone in order to get an eye-opener. However there was no urge to go either since I know it is going to be extremely congested (and perhaps even rowdy if people gets drunk). Moreover I know nuts about horse racing, nor betting! This year, opportunity came knocking on my door, and I thought, why not? It will be a good experience.
During any of these occassions, everyone dresses up if they are going to the races. Guys will be in shirt and a suit; ladies will be in dresses. On top of dresses, ladies will also wear fascinators or pretty hats on their heads. I've asked before what could the meaning be to wear fascinator or a head dress to a horse-racing day, but only to get as far as the western way of dressing going to a formal event.
Yesterday, I got myself into a white dress that I have only worn once for my birthday party 2 years ago, and a white pair of heels. I also wore a soft pink scarf to go with it, however, I got to take it off soon enough because it was so warm! Met up with Ai-lin, Tomomi and Amy, and the 4 of us squeezed with the rest of the race-goers into the seriously-no-breathing-space trains and got to Flemington Racecourse, where the races are held.

At Flinders Street station... before setting off... with one of the promoters for Yellowglen campagne (which also sponsors the races)
The crowd in the racecourse was unbelievable! However we only got the cheapest tickets (it was $70 cheapest!) therefore we will not get any so-called "private space". After queuing up to get our champagne, we eventually found a spot for a picnic. Ai-lin has brought some traditional snacks - water crackers to be eaten with smoked salmon and cheese. Very nice! She has also cut up some cucumbers and cherry tomatoes, and brought some dips as well.

Had our Yellowglen (brand) champagne... Quite refreshing under the heat like that but unfortunately the hot weather does not allow the champagne to keep cool for very long... Warm champagne is not nice at all!

Races run approx every half hour or so. We were picnicing under the sun and feeling rather burnt. Luckily I wasn't wearing black like Ai-lin and Tomomi! Got to resort to fish out our umbrellas and finish up all the food before they turn bad. Saw 3 races and left at 3.30pm, an hour earlier than what we had planned. Too hot to sit around any longer! Went back into the city to seek something to cool us down... Settled down at a gelati place in Southgate and had our ice-creams/drinks.

Can't see? No problem now!

Someone giving a speech... Not sure who that is though...

Approaching the finishing line...

Presenting my head dress/fascinator! Borrowed from Ai-lin, who has a few...
She also lent Tomomi and Amy their fascinators too!

Saw this horse outside a cafe near the Yarra River, and decided to snap some pictures with it...
Suits Cup Day...

And my mango gelati to cool me down, and to end our day...
And now, I am waiting for Melbourne Cup, not because I like horse racing... But because I can at least get my day off (though I still got to work at night)! My opinion of this event? Definitely interesting for a first-timer. But I doubt I will go again (unless it's FOC). It is the type of event that I will not mind going once for the experience, but not going faithfully every year. There is something I do not quite comprehend: wearing nice dresses, high heels and looking all glamourous.... only to get there, wiping off sweat as you wrestle with other people in the crowd, then take out the picnic mat, kick off your high heels, and proceed to lie down all 'un-glam'.... and also, to eat some inexpensive home-made snacks and drink some beer.
I never quite like dressing up like that either. A little not used to wearing a nice dress and heels since I love my jeans and converse so much... I know I am not very lady-like... =\
*There are more photos on Facebook, if anyone is interested.... Hmmm...
Don't ask me what "Derby Day" means. I haven't got the slightest clue. Apart from Derby Day, I have also heard of Oaks Day, and then it will be the Melbourne Cup Spring Racing carnival, where we will get our public holiday! This year, Melbourne Cup Day is on Tuesday 3 November, therefore it will be a holiday for all Melburnian! There are also other races such as the Caulfield Cup, but they are not as major as the Melbourne Cup.
Melbourne's horse racing events forms a big part of the culture here. In previous years, I have never found the opportunity to attend the event though I really should have gone in order to get an eye-opener. However there was no urge to go either since I know it is going to be extremely congested (and perhaps even rowdy if people gets drunk). Moreover I know nuts about horse racing, nor betting! This year, opportunity came knocking on my door, and I thought, why not? It will be a good experience.
During any of these occassions, everyone dresses up if they are going to the races. Guys will be in shirt and a suit; ladies will be in dresses. On top of dresses, ladies will also wear fascinators or pretty hats on their heads. I've asked before what could the meaning be to wear fascinator or a head dress to a horse-racing day, but only to get as far as the western way of dressing going to a formal event.
Yesterday, I got myself into a white dress that I have only worn once for my birthday party 2 years ago, and a white pair of heels. I also wore a soft pink scarf to go with it, however, I got to take it off soon enough because it was so warm! Met up with Ai-lin, Tomomi and Amy, and the 4 of us squeezed with the rest of the race-goers into the seriously-no-breathing-space trains and got to Flemington Racecourse, where the races are held.

At Flinders Street station... before setting off... with one of the promoters for Yellowglen campagne (which also sponsors the races)
The crowd in the racecourse was unbelievable! However we only got the cheapest tickets (it was $70 cheapest!) therefore we will not get any so-called "private space". After queuing up to get our champagne, we eventually found a spot for a picnic. Ai-lin has brought some traditional snacks - water crackers to be eaten with smoked salmon and cheese. Very nice! She has also cut up some cucumbers and cherry tomatoes, and brought some dips as well.

Had our Yellowglen (brand) champagne... Quite refreshing under the heat like that but unfortunately the hot weather does not allow the champagne to keep cool for very long... Warm champagne is not nice at all!

Races run approx every half hour or so. We were picnicing under the sun and feeling rather burnt. Luckily I wasn't wearing black like Ai-lin and Tomomi! Got to resort to fish out our umbrellas and finish up all the food before they turn bad. Saw 3 races and left at 3.30pm, an hour earlier than what we had planned. Too hot to sit around any longer! Went back into the city to seek something to cool us down... Settled down at a gelati place in Southgate and had our ice-creams/drinks.

Can't see? No problem now!

Someone giving a speech... Not sure who that is though...

Approaching the finishing line...

Presenting my head dress/fascinator! Borrowed from Ai-lin, who has a few...
She also lent Tomomi and Amy their fascinators too!

Saw this horse outside a cafe near the Yarra River, and decided to snap some pictures with it...
Suits Cup Day...

And my mango gelati to cool me down, and to end our day...
And now, I am waiting for Melbourne Cup, not because I like horse racing... But because I can at least get my day off (though I still got to work at night)! My opinion of this event? Definitely interesting for a first-timer. But I doubt I will go again (unless it's FOC). It is the type of event that I will not mind going once for the experience, but not going faithfully every year. There is something I do not quite comprehend: wearing nice dresses, high heels and looking all glamourous.... only to get there, wiping off sweat as you wrestle with other people in the crowd, then take out the picnic mat, kick off your high heels, and proceed to lie down all 'un-glam'.... and also, to eat some inexpensive home-made snacks and drink some beer.
I never quite like dressing up like that either. A little not used to wearing a nice dress and heels since I love my jeans and converse so much... I know I am not very lady-like... =\
*There are more photos on Facebook, if anyone is interested.... Hmmm...
Comments