I. Can't. Cook. Any. Thing. At. All??
Last Saturday, Daniel had a 'open-house day' since his dad was away and thus he had the entire house for himself. He has invited all the peeps from (past and present) Korean class, and about 14.5 people attended - Roland, Chiria, Chiria's mother, little Mitchell (who's only 6 weeks therefore he's the 0.5 person), Tony, Mary and Nathan, Ai-lin, Minako, Debbie and her sister, our new Korean teacher Ms Hong, Tim, me and Daniel the host himself. We had heaps of fun. And I took the night off from work so I can join in the fun as well...
Theme was potluck. Everyone brought their own dishes. I really wanted to make something and even went to the Asian groceries late Friday night after work. Whipped up a supposedly 'char kway teow' on Saturday morning, but I ruined it all. I couldn't find any flat noodles anywhere so I substituted it with thinner rice noodles, and have added Chinese sausage, prawns, bean shoots, eggs and sambal oelek. I've read the recipe and have decided that I can manage this dish after all though I've never made it before. However, in the end, I still ruined the entire thing. Honestly it tasted quite good. But it looks really bad... I seriously can't take the dish out to serve people...
Becoming empty-handed, I have no choice but to BUY something. I thought of the delicious char kway teow in Clayton's Malaysia Garden. But too far away... And I don't have time to travel. In the end, went down into the city and got the best egg tarts I know of from Maxim. Traveled to Box Hill, where Daniel's at, and met everyone else there. Everyone made something nice - jap chae, bulgogi, dumplings (steamed and pan-fried), mashed potatoes, sausages etc... Desserts were something more - Minako made her absolutely delicious fruit cake, Debbie made some caramel chocolate, Daniel bought some cheese pastry, and I've got my tarts. All was great. I just felt guilty cuz I really wanted to bring something home-made. But I didn't tell anyone I've made something just that it didn't work out.
Sat with Ms Hong, Debbie and her sister and Tony during dinner, and the entire conversation was carried out in Korean. We got to know our new teacher a little bit more. I was so happy I managed to understand 95% of what our teacher was saying, but I sucked so much at replying her back in proper Korean. Ms Hong was very encouraging, cuz she said that I possess really good understanding of Korean, just that I lack practice and the confidence to actually say it. Sometimes I hate to admit that Ms Hong seems like a better teacher than Hye-Ri (whom we have had for so many years), because Ms Hong is willing to go into a wider array of topics with us in class, and she always follows up where she left off the previous week. Hye-Ri, on the other hand, will sort of drop it.
Played with little Nathan. He's so cheeky!!! Since it was a Saturday and he didn't go to childcare, he is lively the entire night. I am melted by all the love he gives me........ Asking me to carry him, giving me biscuits to eat, pulling me by hand to go see Daniel's old cat Biddy (who likes to sleep under the bed or behind the couch most of the time) etc... I wonder why toddlers love me so??... Maybe because I am also a big baby myself...? :)
And of course, I have met tiny Mitchell. Only 6 weeks!! I didn't even dare carry him cuz he seems so fragile! Roland is the perfect husband/dad who dotes on his little precious one the entire night, making sure he is comfortable and carrying him in his arms all the time. Chiria didn't have to worry a single thing and she can chit-chat with other people. When I asked Roland, he told me that Chiria always has to look after Mitchell when he's at work so he will take over the duties when he is around. Very responsible and loving of him! Chiria has indeed picked the right man!
The host, Daniel, and I putting egg tarts into the oven to heat them up...
Sweet sensations.... Who doesn't love dessert time!
Daniel shared with us his Korean DVD collection, and I chose two of them
Nathan is so cute, and so cheeky, he is just hard to resist!
Just like a little 'mop', he was rolling around on the floor. Daniel probably doesn't have to clean the floor afterwards. :)
And a very nice family photo of the Tan family.
There are more photos up on Facebook. Ai-lin has also uploaded hers (almost the same time as I did!)... YAY!
Honestly, I really don't dig potluck. They are heaps of fun, however, I always have to think so hard on what I am able to bring. Plus, I haven't even been in the kitchen to cook anything (other than brewing soup and cooking instant noodles) for the longest time now. My lunches and dinners have usually been taken care of (by working so much at the restaurant), so there really isn't a need to cook. SIGH! Sometimes I really wish I can cook!
And Debbie and her sister will be in Korea in February next year, when I AM GOING!! I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT cuz at least I have 2 more friends to meet up when I am there! I am really looking forward to Feb 2011! Yonsei University has already confirmed and accepted my application, and all I have to do now is to pay the tuition fee. So I will be in Korea the entire of February, and the first week of March. Afterwards, I will be going to Japan for 10-14 days. Will book my air tickets later this month. EXCITED!!!!



Comments