200 Pounds Beauty

Just finished watching a really good latest Korean movie "200 Pounds Beauty" by Kim Ah-Joong and Joo Jin-Mo. It's a really good romantic comedy, about Hannah (Kim Ah-Joong), who is a talented singer with low self-confidence cuz of she's ugly and obese. She has always been in love with her agent Sang-Jun (Joo Jin-Mo), but she cannot reveal her feelings for him. Until the day she was humiliated by the singer she lip-syncs for, she decided to go for a huge transformation to herself - plastic surgery. After a year of operations and healing, Hannah emerged as Jenny - a drop-dead gorgeous girl whom all guys drool at. She became a singer, still under Sang-Jun's record company, yet she still couldn't tell him her love for him cuz she's supposed to be 'Jenny'. However, she starts to question her new identity when her newfound fame and beauty takes away her family, her best friend, and even her pet, and changed her into someone she wasn't before, and if her unrequited love gets any return.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Several parts of this movie made my tears start faling....

"Do you know what it's like to hide your feelings?"
"Do you know what it feels like to only be able watch someone from afar, and never able to confess your feelings?"
-- From the scene where "Jenny"'s admirer stalked her and Sang-Jin stepped out to protect her, yet he got a scolding from her, because she 'understood' the stalker's feeling of liking her

"You broke my heart. Tissue won't fix it"
-- From the scene where "Jenny" tore her posters off the wall in anger, cut her hand, and Sang-Jin rushed to her hand with tissues to stop the bleeding.

"I can't do this. Because I'm a fake....." "I forgot my father, my best friend.."
-- The last scene of Jenny's first concert, but she couldn't do it cuz she feels bad... and she confessed her true 'fat' identity and that she is a 'fake' cuz she's made of plastic surgery, yet she proclaimed to the world before that she's all natural. It was a very moving scene.


For no reason I started crying at these scenes... Or maybe it's for SOME reason I can relate to the scenes. People who know me will know I usually get really 'involved' when I watch a movie/drama, so my emotions follow with the characters. Furthermore, those sentences relate to my personal feelings so much...... I felt the jab in my heart when I saw these scenes.

This movie shows the realities of life. If you're fat, and you're ugly, no matter how much talent you possess, you'll still be pretty much ignored. If you're fat, and you're ugly, no matter how much you love someone, your love will not be returned. On the contrary, if you're gorgeous, things work for you in any way. It's so true in real life... So cruel, yet such naked truth.

Thumbs up for this K-movie! I'll rate it 4.5/5 stars. :)

Comments

Popular Posts