2013 MB XMAS PARTY

This year's Christmas party wasn't as extravagant as the previous two years, but it ended well and we had fun. 

Instead of going somewhere fancy like the Eureka Tower (89th floor which I've missed since I was back in SG for a wedding), and the Melbourne Aquarium, this year's party was held at The Bridge Hotel. This hotel is not a hotel at all. There are many such places in Victoria, where the place is called something HOTEL but it's actually a pub. Whether or not it was a real hotel back in history I don't know. The exterior of The Bridge Hotel is seriously unattractive- just another old brown building with lots of people crowding around for a beer. I would never even think about going in! However, the newly refurbished interior - FUNKY! The place was a lot deeper, and bigger than I imagined, with many function rooms catering for private parties. Since it was a Friday night the place was jam packed with people who came down for their TGIF jubilee and drinks (and more drinks). The cobblestone pathway down little 'alleyways' filled with cheerful patrons on both sides that creates a fun and happy atmosphere. 

Our private MB party was up a steep flight of stairs on level two. There was even a security guard standing at the bottom of the stairs to make sure no one other than peeps from our company enter. I was welcomed with drums hanging up in the skies and a display of old-fashion TV against the wall. A bar that is specially catered to us and our drinking needs is in one corner, and there are a few round tables where our colleagues gathered around for chit-chat, food and drinks. Loud music played and there were also two little "balconies" for smokers. Very quaint.

Our style this year was 1920s. Most of my female colleagues were in dresses, beads, evening gloves hats and headbands. Guys wore suit and tie, and hats (guys are so easy!)... Some had cigarette holders and pipes too! There are some who simply wore a dress or suit that has no specific reference to the 1920s. For me, I decided to go different. Knowing that most of them will be going to this party in the 'western 1920s', I opted to go 'eastern 1920s' - Chinese style. I got myself a cheap cheongsam. 

To be honest, I've never worn a cheongsam before, and am never really interested to wear one. Why? Not because I do not want to be Chinese or anything like that. It's because cheongsams are usually so body hugging, you need to have a reasonably good figure to pull it off. Knowing that I am not exactly slim, and have a huge tummy, I never dared to wear a cheongsam without feeling inferior. But this time, I thought I'll give it a go, fat or not. 

Turned out my colleagues loved my outfit. Maybe because it's different from theirs so they were like "WOW that's nice". I don't think I look like 1920s Chinese lady, and the cheongsam is not very 'Chinese' either. I am glad I didn't have to suck in my tummy all the time even though I drank so much alcohol I felt so bloated by the end of the night.  It was a good experience, and the cheongsam can be worn again to another occasion/party so it is not a waste.

A couple of photos from the night: 
Gareth look just suave in his hat and suit; Love that expression on Adrian, and me and Mell and Kessie are just normal girls from the 20s 

Me with the duo from Marketing Science - Alison and Clare. Lovely ladies they are. Clare and I go to the same gym so we attend some classes together. 

There are more photos but I guess I do not want to flood the page. Plus there are nice group photos that were taken by a professional photographer so I guess those photos will be given to us later. 

Unfortunately I was the only one present from my department. My director, Martin, had to go back to the UK for 3 months to be with his ailing mother, and Stephen, my manager, wasn't able to make it on Friday. I was the only Precis girl there... hmmmm...

Anyway, it was a great night. I really hate social events like this to be honest, and I did tell myself I will only be there for a couple of hours, just to "show face". But I ended up talking to people and drinks made me happy, so I stayed for almost 4 hours. 


Comments

Popular Posts