The Dark Knight Rises
Who wouldn't jump at the chance to watch a movie GOLD CLASS for half the RRP? As part of our company's "SocialZ" club, we are entitled 20 seats to watch "The Dark Knight Rises" for only $20. Of course, I said yes.
So that night a couple of colleagues and I had a quick dinner at Peko Peko in South Melbourne before heading off to The Jam Factory on Chapel Street to watch this very much anticipated movie. Gold Class was fantastic~~ Chairs with a recliner, waiters taking and delivering your orders, alcohol and food..... simply, COMFORT. When we entered the cinema it felt like we were walking through the red carpet to a movie premier in Hollywood, or a fashion show, catered only for VIPs with the special invitation card. The long walkway has digital "Gold Class" spawned all over in bright luminous lights, and upon entering there was a bar and couches outside where people lounge around waiting for the movie to start. It was my first time in a gold class cinema. I thought it was a pity that there was no requirements for attire. Many of us were clad in jeans, looking too casual.
Whilst everything else was good, the movie, however, disappoints. I am not saying that the movie is bad. It simply just did not impress. I have been anticipating this Batman movie for what seemed like ages now, and I have loved all the previous Batman movies. But this one just did not quite make the cut as before.
1. The first half of the movie was rather boring. There was a lot of talking and zero action. I almost fell asleep then. Turned out I wasn't the only one who felt this way.
2. Christian Bale as Batman has always been a good option. But in this one, he made Batman looked so frail, old and incompetent, that I felt as if my superhero had just died in my heart.
3. The focus of this movie is not Batman. Or so it seemed. The focus was on constable (Robin) John Blake, played by really hunky Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who could be the upcoming Robin as suggested at the end of the movie. Although I am not complaining seeing more of this really cute actor, but the storyline seemed as though this constable was the hero more than Batman was.So, who is the superhero???
4. Half the time Batman was either crippled in his own mansion, or was captured and imprisoned in an underground cell that was deemed by other prisoners "impossible to get out". That further killed our superhero...
5. Whilst Anne Hathaway has always been my favorite actress, she just did not quite make the cut as a cat burglar. Perhaps she doesn't look evil and seductive enough? I almost cannot picture her being sly and going against Batman in the first part of the movie, and doing some tough . Perhaps I still had her portrayal of a princess in the 'Princess Diaries"? But she indeed does have the 'girl next door' kind of image, so it was hard to see her as an agile and manipulative cat burglar.
6. The enemies in this one just weren't strong enough! Unlike other enemies like Two-Face, Riddler, Freeze and Joker, there was a stronger and much more interesting battle between Batman and his enemies. There were hardly any in this one. The masked Bane was not half as scary, and one shot by the cat burglar he was dead. His master died not long after the truck crashed. No struggle, no fights, no challenge.
To me, I think Christopher Nolan's Batman series just aren't as good as Joel Schumacker's and Tim Burton's versions. Nonetheless, this is probably the least interesting Batman trilogy by Nolan.
Surprisingly most of my colleagues liked the movie. There were only very few of us with the same unimpressed opinion. Left the cinema feeling quite disappointed. Sigh... I was really looking forward to it! :'(
So that night a couple of colleagues and I had a quick dinner at Peko Peko in South Melbourne before heading off to The Jam Factory on Chapel Street to watch this very much anticipated movie. Gold Class was fantastic~~ Chairs with a recliner, waiters taking and delivering your orders, alcohol and food..... simply, COMFORT. When we entered the cinema it felt like we were walking through the red carpet to a movie premier in Hollywood, or a fashion show, catered only for VIPs with the special invitation card. The long walkway has digital "Gold Class" spawned all over in bright luminous lights, and upon entering there was a bar and couches outside where people lounge around waiting for the movie to start. It was my first time in a gold class cinema. I thought it was a pity that there was no requirements for attire. Many of us were clad in jeans, looking too casual.
Whilst everything else was good, the movie, however, disappoints. I am not saying that the movie is bad. It simply just did not impress. I have been anticipating this Batman movie for what seemed like ages now, and I have loved all the previous Batman movies. But this one just did not quite make the cut as before.
1. The first half of the movie was rather boring. There was a lot of talking and zero action. I almost fell asleep then. Turned out I wasn't the only one who felt this way.
2. Christian Bale as Batman has always been a good option. But in this one, he made Batman looked so frail, old and incompetent, that I felt as if my superhero had just died in my heart.
3. The focus of this movie is not Batman. Or so it seemed. The focus was on constable (Robin) John Blake, played by really hunky Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who could be the upcoming Robin as suggested at the end of the movie. Although I am not complaining seeing more of this really cute actor, but the storyline seemed as though this constable was the hero more than Batman was.So, who is the superhero???
4. Half the time Batman was either crippled in his own mansion, or was captured and imprisoned in an underground cell that was deemed by other prisoners "impossible to get out". That further killed our superhero...
5. Whilst Anne Hathaway has always been my favorite actress, she just did not quite make the cut as a cat burglar. Perhaps she doesn't look evil and seductive enough? I almost cannot picture her being sly and going against Batman in the first part of the movie, and doing some tough . Perhaps I still had her portrayal of a princess in the 'Princess Diaries"? But she indeed does have the 'girl next door' kind of image, so it was hard to see her as an agile and manipulative cat burglar.
6. The enemies in this one just weren't strong enough! Unlike other enemies like Two-Face, Riddler, Freeze and Joker, there was a stronger and much more interesting battle between Batman and his enemies. There were hardly any in this one. The masked Bane was not half as scary, and one shot by the cat burglar he was dead. His master died not long after the truck crashed. No struggle, no fights, no challenge.
To me, I think Christopher Nolan's Batman series just aren't as good as Joel Schumacker's and Tim Burton's versions. Nonetheless, this is probably the least interesting Batman trilogy by Nolan.
Surprisingly most of my colleagues liked the movie. There were only very few of us with the same unimpressed opinion. Left the cinema feeling quite disappointed. Sigh... I was really looking forward to it! :'(

Comments