A Goal for 2012

Indeed a challenge for me since I have signed up with some other people from our company to run in this upcoming Melbourne marathon. 


The event will be happening on Sunday 14 October, starting from 7.30am. I have signed up for 10km run, which is actually only a quarter of the full race. Initially I thought I should do 20km but I thought I should not be too ambitious. The last time I did a 20km run was probably more than 10 years ago at MacRitchie reservoir or something, but that was millions of years ago. 


Haven't been running for a long time now so I think I have lost my stamina. Used to run so much in school, and also took part in marathons and races. I used to think the 2.4km run we did for PE lessons was chicken feet. Then I came to Australia, I started to slack. When I was in uni I still played sports - badminton, basketball, gym, jogging.... you name it. However, after I have started my Masters, as well as starting to work, I have minimised my exercise routine to eventually, stopped exercising altogether. For the past 2 years my only exercises were probably running up and down the stairs in the restaurant, occasional mountain climbing, and once-in-a-blue-moon jogging. I realised I am so unfit now.


Don't know why all of the sudden I wanted to do this marathon. Was struggling with whether I should join this given my unfitness. After much thinking over, and with my colleagues' encouragement, I decided to go ahead. It would be good to test myself and also, to raise funds for charity. Now I only have 2.5 months to train up before the big run, so I have already started training starting today.


Went for a run around my neighbourhood just now. My first training session, 20 minutes - 5 minutes warm up, 15 minutes run. Stopped once for a quick breather and a brisk walk, and continued again. I haven't lost much stamina perhaps since it wasn't as strenuous as I thought it would be, though I thought I could have done more warm-up to avoid the pain that I am feeling in my calves now. Next training session would be 30 minutes, and then I will gradually increase the duration I exercise. Will aim to try exercising 3 times a week. So whenever I have a day off at the restaurant I will train. I have to stay motivated. 


Let's hope the marathon will turn out well. Honestly it is not really the run that scares me. It is the fact that the race starts 7.30am, so I would probably have to wake up at 5am to get into the city earlier. You know, I am not an early riser..... Never was, and perhaps never will be. Pray that I will not fall asleep halfway through the race! 

Comments

Popular Posts