School can be SO MUCH FUN~
Only one week has passed since uni has started and I'm loving it~ Other than learning (or rather revising since most of the things taught in the text are what I've learnt before), I've made lots of new friends too~~ Most of them are Japanese... It seems like the most people doing Korean are Japanese, no matter what level they are. They said Korean culture is big in Japan, plus the similarities in the languages be it grammar or certain words/vocabulary. Plus Japan is really near Korea geographically. There are also many Korean 'gyopo' - meaning Koreans being born and raised elsewhere (e.g. mostly in Japan, US, Australia). Japanese 'gyo-po's mostly do not speak much Korean, but are of course very fluent in Japanese. Some US and Australian 'gyo-po's are ok with speech, but not very good at reading and writing. We are all here for different reasons. Some came because they like DBSK, Super Junior, Lee Seung Gi or other Korean pop stars. Some came because they are interested in the language and Korean culture. Some came because they feel that they are ethnic Koreans but somehow because they are living elsewhere they are not fluent in their supposedly mother tongue. Some came because they have learnt the language before. I have similar reasons as having learnt the language previously. My reason will more to strengthen my Korean language ability.
And because I am weak with speaking, I am placed in level 2. I felt that being in this level do not do me any justice because I have learnt everything before, but then I somehow cannot speak as fluently as I wish to. Lack of practice. And because I can write and read without much problems, I think I am in level 3-4. However level 3 doesn't exist at the moment, and to be in level 4 you have to be at least confident and/or fluent in all fields. And level 5-6 are the really pro-levels where you have to learn the Chinese characters and ways of using them. I know I lack confidence when I speak. And listening I am oK but then when they talk too quickly with slurs and slang, I find difficulties. I suck at making use of what I've already learnt and implement them in my daily life. Grammar-wise, it still kinda suck since Korean has many different grammar patterns to remember. Anyhow, I think I am gaining my confidence since there is nothing else I can speak here other than Korean. Like the Japanese friends I hang out with, they do not speak much English, and I do not speak much Japanese. So the only way we can communicate is Korean. And for those who share common language(s) with me we also try to communicate with each other in Korean, because, that is what we came here for!
School has been good, but very tiring... The main reason is because I am not used to waking up early (ever since I've quit my full-time it has always been sleeping and waking up late). School starts at 9am, so I have to wake up at 7.45am, which to me is early cuz I usually sleep late. Then from 9-1pm we have intensive lessons. Of course there are mini-breaks in between where I will always get a cup of coffee (and ending up drinking like 5 cups of coffee a day). The teachers who have been teaching us were good, and very professional. Something about them differs from the teachers from Singapore and Australia (where I've schooled at) because there is an air of professionalism and disposition that makes me feel inclined to respect them.
After school it's either study, or having fun with new friends. Sometimes we bump into each other in the language school itself, or at the dorm, and we just go "OK we plan to do xxxxxxxx, shall we go? Would you like to go??" and then off we go. Studied at the library, the cafe and in my room. And I also have a language exchange buddy where we will exchange Korean and Chinese. I have never taught what kind of Chinese teacher I will be, but since my language exchange partner just started learning Chinese, it wasn't much of a problem for me. And as usual, I will talk to him in Korean and when I get stuck somewhere, usually grammar-related, he will correct me, and I will (try to) remember them.
Mon-Fri 9-1pm I have to come here...
One of the day where we have the stew with a mixture of meat and vegies...
It was my idea to take this photo at the main gate of Yonsei Uni
Oh we sang K after that... Seoul is full of 노래방 and they are cheap and good! It's my first experience in a Korean karaoke room. Even though my knowledge for Korean pop is limited and their Chinese songs are quite outdated (though I am not surprised), I managed to sing some English ones...
One of the few 'get-together' meals for some people at the dorm, and we did some 자기소개 in Korean (self-introduction)
Everyone else seems younger than me! Most of them are born between 1986-1993. OMG... they make me feel so old!! Even though I can mingle with anyone of any age, still, they feel inclined to call me 'unni' (older sister called by a girl) according to the Korean culture. However, I always 'chided' them for doing so cuz I prefer people calling me by name.... Plus I didn't like to make people feel like they have to respect me. I hope to be the same as everyone else, fair and equal. :)
One of my favorite Korean dishes - 찜닭
we had it at one of the best ones in sinchon. yummy!!
During some break time in between class, I decided to fish out my camera and took pictures~
Ice-skating is not something I can do... I was clinging on to the railing for a good 15 minutes before I wadded like a penguin. I suck at balance and I am afraid of falling forward (given that I've 'fallen' forward before many years ago and caused such a big damage to my jaw and teeth). Phobia.
Cooking class was one of the activities arranged by the KLI (Korean Language Institute)
Cooked spicy chicken and vegies Korean-style.
Yummmm
Met Debbie and Kiria once more before they return to Melbourne~
Had BBQ together, though we weren't especially WOW-ed by the place, we had a great time together.
Last Saturday met Subong at Guro Digital Complex and had some sushi for an afternoon snack at this Japanese sushi place he has recommended. It was yum, though the sushi sort of fell apart when I tried to pick it up with my chopsticks, it was still good taste~
Subong and Midori used to stay around the vicinity so they always go to this place for sushi. The chef seemed to recognise him though he was looking at me questioningly since I obviously look different from Midori. Poor Subong got to clarify that I am not from Japan, and I am only a friend. LOL
Long anticipated sam-gyeop-sal.
I've been craving for this for a long time...... having this and soju is HEAVEN!
I didn't even have to worry about cooking... Subong did everything, and yeah everyone knows he's a pretty good cook.
Gotta enjoy Midori's company!
The entire dinner was conducted in Korean, and I found myself pretty confident with my talking with a slight influence of alcohol. That always happen - I function much much better after a few drinks.
On Sunday I didn't have any plans... I slept the entire morning cuz I was so tired... Woke up to instant noodles and laundry, and when I was collecting my laundry, I bumped into Riko. Told her that I intended to go to Myeongdong and she was like "YES YES LET'S GO!!!" so we got changed and headed out.
Bought myself a pair of shorts and a new pair of boots. Money money money.... ALL GONE
And dinner was at this "Myeongdong Gyoza" place, famous for their mandu - dumplings! We ordered a serving of them (10 of them in a serving) and a gal-guk-su each. SO yummy!!!!!! I love authentic Asian food~~~ You cannot always get them in Australia!!!
People have been trying to guess my age, and no one ever gets it right... Someone even guessed I am 20 today! I don't know if I should be happy or sad, cuz there are 2 ways to look at this - you look young so HOORAY; or you are childish so BOOO! Perhaps because of the fact that we are in (back at) school therefore people under-guessed my age?? But everytime I look into the mirror I see myself ageing. I see myself as someone fast approaching my 30s. However, the maximum people ever guessed is 25. Perhaps I should take it as a compliment...?
Today (14/2) is Valentine's Day. ARGH I think it's just... overrated... childish... whatever. If you have someone, you have to go out, exchange flowers/chocolates/gifts on this day... If you are single, you got to go out together with friends. To me it's just another normal day with normal routine. Yeah true that I didn't have anyone yet, but what's the fuss really about?! Reality of life is a lot more to take than just a day of romance. And if it's real romance, it's not about V-Day. And even if I see couples here walking hand-in-hand, and snuggling up to each other cuz it's so cold (the weather has became really really chilly these days!!! Minus 2-10 degrees), I don't feel envious at all.
Ok... I am thinking of heading out now.... Maybe going to Sinchon (which is nearby) to get a padded jacket... I've seen a lot of people wearing those really nice ones and I really wanted to get them (if they are cheap). I hardly wear my thermal jacket now even though it really keeps me warm because it makes me look really dodgy. Maybe a padded jacket might do the trick! :D













Comments