If only time stands still...
February is almost coming to an end, and so has my course.
Next Monday we will have the final lesson, and we will 'graduate' from our course at KLI. Yes, we will receive a certificate. :)
Everything has been great so far, other than the usual complains of having to wake up early in the morning from Mon-Fri and therefore feeling so sleepy in class, I've been having so much fun with my friends that it is going to be so sad when we eventually will have to part and go our separate ways.
I am sincerely grateful to have met such wonderful people during my course, and all the joy and laughter we shared were indeed precious moments!
Yesterday (Friday) we had our final exams. Honestly it wasn't supposed to be difficult (cuz it was all what we've learnt in class), but then I did not really put all my heart into studying. I guess I am already over and done with that phase of being a student, and I am indeed a hard-core internet surfer, so I was basically studying in front of my notebook, half reading/revising and half surfing/chatting. I am that hopeless...
Exams were OK... 4 components like most other language tests - reading, writing, speaking and listening. Reading and listening were fine. Speaking was OK even though I didn't manage to use the grammar patterns I've learnt so I probably won't receive high marks. Writing was kinda.... tough, but not so tough... Why? I've actually studied all the grammar patterns the night before, but to my horror, my mind went completely blank at the section where I need to change consonants when I am talking in another way (a lot of these complicated grammar patterns in Korean). I just mugged my way through. I am just that hopeless.... I hate studying for exams, and I hate doing exams. But I don't mind going to classes, studying and doing assignments, as long as they are not for examination purposes.
Slept for only 3-5 hours a day for a few days in a row, so by the end of the exams I almost collapsed. Went straight back to my room and plonked on my bed, but only slept for half an hour before I got up again... It's just cuz I have an appointment with my language exchange friend at 3pm and knowing that, I couldn't get into deep sleep no matter how tired I am (that's just me). And so, I met Hyung Ho at Sinchon for coffee, and we went to this extremely cute little cafe where little kittens and big cats run around, prancing and jumping, sitting on your lap, or simply just lay there for you to pat. Too cute. I was enthralled
The place is called "Kitty Cafe" - they have it in Sinchon and Hongdae. This is one of the really adorable ones I've managed to capture. Most of them run around and are too quick for my 'lao ya' camera...
I was too tired to even manage to talk a lot to Hyung Ho, plus we both have our separate appointments afterwards, so we parted after finishing our coffees at Kitty Cafe. I had some time on my hands, so I decided to try my luck and look for Midori at San Churro. She wasn't there when I entered the cafe so I asked one of the staff, who went to get her. I was in luck - Midori has just finished work, and she was only finishing off some staff at the back room. After she has changed and all, we went to a really pretty little cafe called LaSim. I love the cafes in Seoul... NOT the chain ones like Starbucks, Coffee Bene, Coffee Bean, Tom Tom and Angel-in-us etc... I like those unique ones with their own themes. Plus, their coffees are usually better too~
I love talking to Midori, and I really really like her personality. And perhaps because she's not native, I find it so comfortable and easy to understand her Korean than listening to native speakers. And she actually spent time correcting my grammar errors (cuz she looked through my notebook) as she also made the same errors a few years ago when she just started learning Korean. I should go and look for her more... her cafe is really near my dormitory~
| Lovely Midori |
Pei Chun and I didn't try the baths so we slept for a bit and had eggs and iced tea. Riko and Yoshimi went for the baths.
| Pei Chun and I at the Jjimjinbang |
These couple of weeks have been full of fun and activities... Too busy to actually be doing anything else (proper). Ahhh I love these outings and fun! I hope they will last, but then eventually everyone has to go back to reality.
Wednesday (23/2) we had a city tour for KLI 3-week course students. Went to the Jong-myo shrine, Chang-yong-gung Palace and N Seoul tower. Another day full of fun (even though I was so tired I really want to just sleep.....)
| At the Jong-myo Shrine - group picture. |
| The 'Aussies' Well Na Young on the left is from Sydney and she has been there since she was little. Yuri on the right is from Queensland. She's born there. Both of them are Korean. |
| At the N Seoul Tower, before entrance |
| The beautiful N. Seoul Tower, but then I didn't see any colour change on that day , unlike what I've seen last time when I was here. |
And one fine day we decided to go to Sindang to try a famous Ddokbokkgi (Korean rice cake) at the Ddokbokkgi Town there. And we really loved it~!! So yummy we could have more if we could!
| This was heaven~ |
Another one of those cafes that you will have to visit if you do visit Korea -- Charlie Brown Cafe in Hongdae/Ehwa Dae. Not all their different variety of coffees provide coffee art, so if you'd like some coffee art on yours ask before you order if what you want has it. I've ordered the mint latte and chose Woodstock as my coffee art.... So damn cute!!
And because many of my new friends are either younger than me, or avid K-pop fans, they are all crazy over some singer whom I know, but not in detail (some songs I've heard, but then I never question who actually sang it... and I no longer dig into celebrity profiles because that's what I will do 10 years ago). That day we were supposed to go to KBS to see U-Kiss and Shinee. However only 2 of Shinee members (Key and Minho) were in the studio hosting a radio program, and I can't even see them clearly, or be able to take any photos. Heaps of fan were crowding outside the studio. I gave up eventually. I don't really know these people anyway, neither am I their fans.
| Taken outside KBS. |
I did, however, enjoy the thought of being in a radio station. Instead of concentrating on the idols like most other people do, I was observing the setup of the studio, and how the hosts and their coordinators are putting a show together. I loved the radio station. Though I've only worked in a mini one in Monash, I miss the mic. If I am allowed access in KBS, I will host a show by myself. In English, in broken Korean, it doesn't matter. :D
| Oh and did I mention I went to the Korea War Memorial last Sunday? I was by myself though, but it has been great recapturing the war-torn days. |
| Sul-jib (literally translated as 'alcohol house' in Korean) with Ri-Hye and Airi. Love sul-jib. Finally I get to get some alcohol! |
| I absolutely loved 'sa-mul-nori' - literally four instruments song in Korean Consists of 4 different kinds of percussion instruments I want to go back for classes again... on my free time. |
There are probably a lot more activities I've missed out, but then there's just too many to actually blog. I am even starting to become really lazy with uploading the photos on my facebook. But photos wise, it is probably a better idea to go to facebook, but for captions and story, of course my blog will be the best place to be! :D
Over Sunday and Monday I will have to start packing again and move to a guest house for the rest of my stay in Korea... Sigh. To think I've just gotten used to living in this dormitory, I have to move again....
And my flight change has been successful. Will be in Korea til 20 March before I fly off to Japan (will only visit Tokyo and Kyoto this time). During this period of time I will be in Korea, I will travel around, and also meet up with friends, try the interesting cafes, and eat all the local Korean food!
If only time stands still.... I don't really want to go back to Australia....
And my flight change has been successful. Will be in Korea til 20 March before I fly off to Japan (will only visit Tokyo and Kyoto this time). During this period of time I will be in Korea, I will travel around, and also meet up with friends, try the interesting cafes, and eat all the local Korean food!
If only time stands still.... I don't really want to go back to Australia....
Will come back with more of my fun and adventures.
Comments