Enjoying Seoul
Tomorrow I will be officially moving into the University's dorm, and next Monday I will start uni. Even though it's only gonna be a month's course, I am seriously looking forward to it. At least, that's how I hope to at least brush my Korean up a little. And now, I actually get some time to do some blogging since I chose to come back a little earlier today as I need to pack later on since I will need to check out by 1pm tomorrow.
These days in Korea, I am stumped by my ability with the language. I could understand what people are telling me (as long as they are not shooting at me like a machine gun), but then why is it that I can't reply with such fluency?! Everytime I will leave a person I was talking to, and think of all the things I could have said in proper Korean, but why is it that when it is time for me to say it, I fumble and mumble and lose all my confidence?!
Seoul IS COLD.... No snow, but the temperature has been ranging between -2 and 5 degree celcius. However, for some reason I do not feel very cold. I've brought my thermal jacket and another coat with me, but I have only been wearing the coat. I didn't wear my hat, and I didn't even wear my UGG that much. Everywhere indoors here is very warm, and perhaps I have better tolerance for the cold I feel that this weather is indeed VERY comfortable as compared to the current climate in Melbourne. I am seriously enjoying it, even though I am praying that it will eventually snow~
These days I am so free I feel strange~ Having no work to go to when I wake up seems strange. I am mostly on my own but in a way I like it this way. Yes, there are times I wish someone was with me, especially when I eat, and when I need someone to take a photo for me. Otherwise, I am pretty fine with being by myself. In my own little world with no interruptions. I've done heaps and heaps of shopping, and some sightseeing as well. Lunar new year here is really really quiet.... Practically no where was open on day 1. Most shops open on day 2, and all shops are open by day 3. I've spent so much now I think I am going to burn my credit card.... I think I must stop now~
When I first arrived in Korea, I realized that there is now a direct bus to Euljiro CO-OP Residence - bus #6001. It was a long ride from Incheon Airport to the residence and after a long flight from Melbourne to Seoul via Sydney (about 10+hours?), I feel totally exhausted. After checking in and resting a bit, I headed out to 동대문 (Dongdaemun) area and did some shopping, plus a light dinner at the street vendor. The next day I slept in all the way til 3pm cuz I was rather jet-lagged. Plus, I have worked the night before I board the plane, and hadn't had sleep the entire night. Called Debbie and her sister (Kiria) up and we planned to meet for dinner at 명동 (Myeongdong).
And so we met and had dinner at this BBQ/Stew place for a nice dinner of pork stew with some ramen and I had a Cass beer as well. After dinner we did some shopping together and then chat over coffee. I think I've missed the freezing days which happened last week (-15C at night). Debbie and Kiria were great companies. They will be returning to Melbourne next weekend.
On the day of CNY I travelled all the way to 신도림(Shindorim) only to realize everywhere was closed except for HomePlus and Angel-in-us cafe. I settled in the cafe over a cup of latte whilst I waited for Subong, who was stuck in traffic and in the end turned up 1.5 hours late. Man... I was so happy to see Subong!!! One of those people who I will say is one of the easiest to get along with. After having some rice cakes and fish cakes at the food court of Home Plus, Subong drove us to Midori's cafe San Churros in 신촌 (Sinchon). They were the only ones open around that area. The boss of San Churros recognised me immediately and we exchanged some simple conversation in Korean. And of course, I am indeed happy to see Midori too. She and Subong will be getting married in April now (or so has been arranged, if no later changes). Chilled at a HOF nearby and downed 4 big jars of beers with Subong. Midori joined us after she has finished closing up. Hang out til almost midnight and I have to go before I miss my 막차 (last train).
Subong, plus Midori and I
Day 2 of CNY I made my way down to the National Museum of Korea (국립중앙박물관). Witnessed interesting traditional performances as well as spending half the afternoon stuck in the museum. On the first level it was exhibitions of Korea's history - from Neolithic, Silla, Guryeo, Bulhae, to Joseon, amongst the many other periods whose names I can't remember. The second level were famous calligraphies and paintings, and the third level were different types of sculptures and crafts. Very interesting.
One of the traditional performances outside the museum.
After that I went to Myeongdong again and shopped. Again, I ate at the street vendor. I realized that if I am by myself I will just consent to eating at the street vendor. I wonder why...
떡볶이 and 오뎅
And just now, I went to 남산골한옥마을 (Namsangol Hanok Village), located just at the northern foot of the Namsan mountain. Traditional Korean houses, craft exhibits, traditional wedding exhibits, time capsule and other games and activities can be seen there. It was quite an interesting short stay. The weather was quite chilly today, though I totally couldn't feel it in my room though I had the windows wide open.
Big pots of storing pickled kimchi and other vegies and sauces in the old days.
Heaps of snow lying around... And I thought by taking a photo with all these snow behind me can make my wish come true - to see the real snow falling~~~
Went on the 남대문 (Namdaemun) to do shopping but it wasn't very lively there at that time. Went to Shinsegae shopping center in search for my bag but didn't find the brand there. Walked to Myeongdong again (since it's only nearby) and went into Lotte World, and saw the brand I've been after - Lovcat. I've promised myself to get a Lovcat bag when I come to Korea since it's only available here. Not cheap - the bag I've chosen is about 495,000 won (AUD390) and leaves a huge dent in my savings. But I love it... New bag... The only one I'm ever going to get during my stay here...
My precious bag
Amongst those I've bought, I love this bag, and also my new wallet... This wallet has no brand, but the quality is good, and I love love love it~ I will upload the pic to Facebook when I can.
Oh... and my new pair of shoes too, which I swear I look great in it~~ I am in love with these "boots-but-not-really-boots" kinda shoes.... They are the trend now~ Oh... and my new blue coat, and heaps of other new stuff...
Lots of photos that I've taken, which I'll sooner or later upload to Facebook... I think I have to learn how to stop shopping now.... If not I will have heaps of card debts to pay off when I get back!~
OK.... going to watch TV (korean TV programs are really good!~) and then start packing up. Will blog soon!! :)








Comments