World's Strictest Parents

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/worlds-strictest-parents/video/-/watch/15119391/world-strictest-parents-wednesday-august-19-2009/

World's Strictest Parents
Actually I don't even know such a program exists since I hardly ever get to watch TV. To the Aussies, Singapore probably gives an impression of a strict society; the most obvious fact that gives people this stereotype is our "NO CHEWING GUM" law (Some people thought it's an absurd rule). In my opinion, true, we are a strict society, but Asian values are definitely different from the west. There are several differences, all with their own pros and cons, and brings different outcomes too.

To me, I always prefer Asian values, even though I do respect and do not condemn the western values. Asian values, no matter how strict/harsh/un-liberating, they emphasize on basic respect and manners. After mingling in the Australian society the past few years, I have learnt how to appreciate and value the Asian culture and our upbringing (being in Singapore or other Asian countries, it doesn't matter).

In this episode, you will see two problematic Australian teenages (age 16 and 17) being sent to a strict family in Singapore to learn by abiding by their strict house rules. They have to go to school, despite that they hate school and have dropped out. They have to greet the elders. They have to be up early. They have to have dinner together. They need to tell each other where they are going to go to. They must not smoke, have piercings etc... Seems like a typical Singapore/Asian family... It was really refreshing to be watching this - watching something that has my home country in it in a foreign land.

Quite interesting. Too bad I missed it that night but luckily they have it online.

Comments

Popular Posts