A Thousand Splendid Suns

Just finished (in record time) another book by Khaled Hosseini, the author of "The Kite Runner". His second book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is just as good, and it explores the fates of Afghanistan women. After reading this book, I was filled with rage and sympathy.

Photobucket

Why? Why women must be treated like that?? They do not have any authority, freedom, happiness, or respect. Why must men be so much more superior? I do not agree with the women having to cover up with a burqa and be accompanied by a male RELATIVE when they go out. Other than that they are to stay at home. If they are caught outside by themselves without a male relative, they would be beaten up and sent home. They are sold to men to be married at age 15, and in other extreme cases, to brothels, or work as slaves. They are not allowed to work, or contribute to the society in any way, least to say, Afghan girls are not to be educated. WHY? Being protective to women doesn't equal to restricting/confining them! So many women are very capable, and I believe many Afghan women are if they are allowed to go to school. Why must their fate be decided by Afghan men and not by themselves? It isn't fair!
Reading this book caused fury boiling within me, yet my sympathy cannot help the Afghan women there. I think life there is looking much better now than under the Taliban rule, but then, I know it's still a long way for them to stop suppressing women. They deserve to be liberated and lead a proper, and much happier life where they can at least be respected and decide for themselves.

*****


Sunday 5 Oct - start of daylight savings - I'll be 3 hours ahead of Singapore. I'll be 3 hours ahead of him. When he's having dinner, I'll probably be getting ready for bed. When he just wakes up, I'll be at work. Why must we be so far away from each other? Am I starting to feel the insecurity already, when it's barely one month that he's gone?

How is this a good sign??

*****


Even though it's damn last minute, however, I am excited to meet my parents after such a long time.
Mum and Dad are coming to Melbourne to see me before Dad goes off to work in Libya. They will be here for a week. I hope to visit Libya next year since Dad is going to be there. I thought Tripoli will be a great holiday destination, with its ancient Roman remains. Andy told me we'll need special visas to visit there since they are controlling the amount of visitors there. Hopefully I can go there easier with my Dad working there. Even though Mum told me not to alter my work schedules just because they are here, but I think I will be canceling my restaurant shifts, and probably get a couple of days off at my day job too. Spend more time with them... Cuz one week is very short, and before I know it they'll be back.

I am still planning for activities. All I can think of is the Tesselaar Tulip Festival, which is ending very soon, as well as Puffy Billy. All located in the Dandenong ranges. I wouldn't mind visiting Great Ocean Road again, even though it'll be my 4th or 5th time, but it's beautiful there, and I know my parents like it as they've been there the last time they were here. However it's further away so maybe might not be able to go. Of course, other days can be shopping, and eating... Bring them to Singapore Chom Chom I guess... the place I feel at home at when I was here. And to visit Eva and her baby Zoe.... I guess we'll see how things go when the day comes.

But it's still too last minute. My room's really disorganized. And I reek of alcohol. So unprepared, and yet so lazy to be cleaning up. And now I've only got Sunday left. They arrive early Monday morning. I've got to wake up super early to be at the airport by 6+ and then get to work as early as I can. I picture myself having to call my manager and tell her I'll be late.

Geeez... what a mess I am in! But hope we'll have fun during this short period of time! :)

Comments

Popular Posts