Back from the Festive City- Adelaide, South Australia

Just returned from Adelaide... My flight was delayed for an hour!!! Supposed to be a 7pm (Adelaide time) flight back to Melbourne, but it took off at 8pm instead. Arrived Melbourne at 9.30pm (Melbourne time), and took the skybus to Southern Cross (formerly Spencer Street), and took the train to Clayton, and then take a cab back. Went home and found everyone there to welcome me.. haha... It was already 12 midnight, Sunday. Felt really really really tired, but rejuvenated. It was a good break, and a well-deserved break, and a great trip.

Ok... time to share my trip! :)
I'll let my pics do most of the talking this time though... Hold your horses!! This is gonna be a LOOOONNGG post!~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1- 27 June 06 - Arrival in Adelaide

Took 1355hrs plane (which delayed til 1410hrs) from Melbourne to Adelaide, and reached Adelaide at about 1500hrs (or 1430hrs Adelaide time). [Note: Adelaide is half hour behind Melbourne] Took the airport shuttle bus to City Central Motel on Hindley Street. Turns out my motel is at the heart of Adelaide City. The most famous King William Street is just adjacent to it, and the Adelaide's most famous shopping centre Rundle Mall is just opposite. Hindley street itself is famous for night clubs and cafes. It is also accessible to many other places around Adelaide.

I'm glad that Nelly is able to bring me around Adelaide~ It's fun to have a companion who knows the place. She came to meet me at my motel and we spent some time in Gloria Jeans catching up and planning for tours. Then had dinner at San Giorgio on Rundle Road (just further up Rundle Street).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Large plate of Marinara and Chicken Hawiian pizza shared by both of us. They were yummy!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Walked around the city at night, but didn't snap any photos cuz it's too dark. Was attracted to the music St. Peter's Cathedral was playing in the night so we walked towards there. It was just over Torrens River and Adelaide Oval.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 2- 28 June 06 - Mt. Lofty, Hahndorf and Victor Harbour

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
1st stop is Mt. Lofty Summit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You can see the entire Adelaide City from the summit

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Blue skies... but the wind was really chilly up there~

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Also on Mt. Lofty

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Then proceeded to Hahndorf, where the Germans settle from the 19th century. First had our morning tea at Hahndorf Inn, and I ordered a VERY delicious lemon meringue, and Nelly ordered apple strudel

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Around Hahndorf.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Stopped by Horseshoe Bay on our way to Victor Harbour

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nelly and I

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
View there was really spectacular... There were many big rocks around as well, and the sand was really white and clean too. There were seals around too, but I didn't go right down at the bottom to see them clearly. They were just flipping around in the waters...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Also at Horseshoe Bay

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Next stop's Victor Harbour... where we stopped for more than 2hours

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nelly and I at Victor Harbour

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Had fish and chip at "The ORIGINAL Fish & Chip" for lunch before heading anywhere. I had Garfish, and it's good! Nelly recommended me to try Farmer's Union Iced Coffee. Only available in South Australia.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Walked a good 2o minutes from Victor Harbour across to Granite Island. It's beautiful along the way! Very breathtakingly beautiful~ The sea's just awesome! Air's great too! I loved it there~

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
First it's we have to give way to passengers on the roads. Now we have to give way to penguins. How interesting...
Too bad penguin walks around after 5pm... we can't get to see them...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Last stop for today is to McLaren Vale's Tintara for some wine-tasting. Good to be with Nelly for wine tasting cuz this is one course she has to do as part of her training in hospitality management, so she taught me a few things. She has to learn how to taste wine, and identify all the fruits in it, as well as estimating as accurately as possible the vintage of the wine. Really interesting. I bought a Souvenign Blanc there.

After returning to Adelaide, rested for a while in my motel, and we headed for Adelaide's Chinatown (on Gouger Street) and had Chinese food at Cafe Kowloon. Ordered Mapou Tofu and Sweet & Sour Chicken. Nice! And very full after the meal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 3 - 29 June 06 - Gleneg Beach

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Had breakfast at the Pancake House, just behind my motel. Nelly recommended this place cuz she said it's good. And yes, it's REALLY good!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Today's free and easy for us... so we took the tram (this is the only tram in Adelaide, running from Victoria Square in Adelaide city, to Gleneg beach) to Gleneg Beach. This is another attraction in Adelaide. Besides the beautiful beach, there're lots of cafes, restaurants and shops too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Various shoots of the beautiful beach...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We had pad thai for lunch (@ Natee Thai)~ Nice, but not spicy enough. I added alot of chilli powder to make it suit my taste LOL..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Shopped around abit more. Nelly had to return to the city first, so I lingered around a little longer, walked down the pier, shopping again, and sat down at CIBO cafe for a cup of coffee. CIBO is only available in South Australia. Their latte is 20cents more than the regular Gloria Jeans, CoffeeHQ and Hudson, but they're nice~

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined Nelly and her friends for dinner at a Malaysian restaurant. And we all had Hainanese Chicken Rice... Nice to know Jenny (a lively Korean girl), Jacelyn (also from Singapore), and Hugo (a HK guy who was nice to send me back).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cooper's beer is also only available in South Australia. I think i still prefer VB.. haha...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 4 - 30 June 06 - Barossa Valley

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
First, to show the tour bus I've been on to for the 2 trips... Prime Mini tours... cheap and good!
Today's tour group is smaller. There are 2 British young men, 2 American young men, 1 Austrian lady, 1 French lady, as well as me and Nelly

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
First stop: The Toy Factory~ I am surprised at myself for being so fascinated by a TOY factory. I'm 23, behaving like an 8 year old. I was so excited going into the toy shop filled with wooden toys. I even bought a donkey crafted from wood, and u can play with it by pushing the bottom to make it move. I also bought a wooden wind chime. I love that shop! It definitely made me happy! :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Angas Park was next. Just a 10min stop, and this is a retail shop selling all Angas Park's products, such as dried apricots, sultanas, macademias, cashew nuts, peanuts, walnuts, all sorts of nuts, and also chocolates. There are some raisins and peanuts tasting. Too bad I'm not a fan of nuts of any kind.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is our first out of four wine tastings today... Wolf Blass, a very famous brand. Our tasting guide, Ronnie was a really chatty person as she lets us taste a range of wines from Wolf Blass. We tasted like... 8 different wines. I like their 2005 Mount Gambier Sauvignon Blanc, which has passionfruit taste in it. Also, their 2004 Caberet Sauvignon and 2004 Frontignac were good too... but all quite pricey... so I didn't get any.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Had 3 course lunch at Vine Inn, which is at Chateau Tanunda Estate, Nuriootpa. The lunch was included in the tour. I had beer battered butterfish, which was a wrong choice, cuz it was a little bland... The 2 British guys got kangaroo meat, and I asked them how it tasted like, and they were like "Tasted abit like liver and meat, and it's very tough". Doubt they liked it much, but they ordered it cuz they've never tried it before. Neither have I, but I'm not half inclined to.
Dessert for me is blueberry cheesecake which was fabulous. Salad is the entree but I don't like salad.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our second wine tasting is at VineCrest. VineCrest only sells their wine in Barossa Valley, and do exports to Singapore and Hong Kong. The wines, in my opinion, are alright. Their 2003 Shiraz was not bad though.

No photos here, but the next stop, and 3rd wine tasting stop was Barossa Vines. I loved the Aged Tawny N.V most, so I bought it. $12.95 per bottle. It's kinda sweet bitter, very unique. (My housemates tasted some when I brought it back home and they liked it too!). The Rose was not bad too... nearly got that as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The fourth and last wine tasting was at Kies. By then my taste buds were already numb to wine... lol... had a little too much! I fed myself on the biscuits they provide instead. But i'm glad this time round i'm feeling alright.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The final stop will be the Whispering Walls. It's actually a reservoir. We were all amazed at the effects the wall can create! Since most of us are in pairs, one of us went to the other side of the wall (Nelly did, I stayed) and from there, just talk softly, or even whisper to us! We can hear PERFECTLY what they've said! To avoid confusion, our tour guide advised us to speak in different languages. Nelly talked to me in Chinese, one of the UK guys was speaking French to the French lady, the other two spoke English. It was amazing! How much was the distance??? I can't remember, but it definitely was quite far! It was said that the walls were NOT meant to be constructed in that way. How strange! And how fun too!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was my dinner - Singapore noodles. Ran out of idea on what to eat, and just settled on this WokInABox just opposite my motel, since I've never seen this before in Melbourne. Nelly didn't have dinner with me cuz she got to attend her friend's birthday party. As today's Friday, Rundle Street and Rundle Mall was opened til 9pm, so I was happily shopping til then! Dug into all shops, and since there're sales everywhere in Australia, I had fun looking at the cheap stuff. But in the end, I bought NOTHING~~ Hmm... except for a necklace. Shopped til 9pm. Lazy to go Chinatown to get something to eat, and many places are closing, so I have to settle for something simple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 5 - 1 July 06 - Around Adelaide City and back to Melbourne

The weather today was HORRIBLE! It was raining and raining like crazy! I wanted to go around city today and snap photos, but the rain got in the way. But I didn't let it entirely destroy my plans though. Nelly lent me her umbrella and I still went on exploring, and it doesn't matter if i get wet.

None of the pics have me in it cuz I'm exploring alone. Nelly couldn't join me cuz she needs to move her stuff to storage with her friends. She'll be doing her industry placement in Ayers Rock from 3 july onwards, so she has been busy packing. I felt bad that she had gone around with me whilst I'm here when she's busy. She's just so nice! Really really grateful to her!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Farmer's Breakfast at The Pancake House...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The undeniable "just out from bed" stoned look. But nevertheless still happy with my breakfast~

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nelly's just out of bed look - better than me!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We walked down Rundle Street and saw this Scottish parade. Stopped to have a look

Then I'm on my own!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fountain at Victoria Square - this is where there are many buses and bus stops. One of the main stops.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Haighs Chocolate retail shop, just alone King William Street, and at the head of Rundle Street. Haighs have really good chocolate, but really expensive too. Their famous Truffles costs AUD$9.00 for 100g (!!!)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The two silver balls symoblizes Adelaide's famous "Rundle Mall"

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A memorial along King William Road

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Adelaide's state library

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
South Australian Museum
There're exhibits on olden days SA, such as women's rights, stopping racial discrimination, wines and beers that ever existed in SA, Australian footy, children's playtoys, and on Flinders University
Also an exhibit on Australia's Aborigines and also about mammals in different parts of the world.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Art museum, which I passed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
University of Adelaide
I like their school, not for reputation, course, fees etc. But the structure and design of their buildings. So ancient, so quaint.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A random pic of the path I walked through, along Uni of Adelaide. It was raining quite heavily, and the entire pavement was littered with dried brown leaves. Feels like autumn.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Stopped by the botanic gardens for a look. Entry's free anyway.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Government house

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Festival Centre.
It was raining super heavily then!! I wanted to ask someone to take a pic for me but there's no one around...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Torrens River
Just behind the Festival Centre
The Adelaide Oval (where they play footy and other sports) is behind the Torrens River, but it was raining so heavily I decided not to walk any further.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just a beautiful church I saw along.... Pulteney Road i think...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Made an effort to go to Chinatown again, though it's the opposite direction from where I was heading. Adelaide's chinatown's VERY small. Maybe... 1/10 of Melbourne's? That small.

I missed National Wine Museum though... They have a really unique wine barrel exterior as their building. We passed by in the tour bus on the way to Barossa Valley and I saw it. Didn't really know how to get there, and the rain discouraged me to move on and explore any further.

But already, I've already walked the entire afternoon without rest. I feel so tired after that! Then took the 5.05pm airport shuttle to the Airport, where I spent waiting for the delay of my flight... So decided to eat some dinner. But, airports are always more expensive~ One serve of fried rice is $8.90 and it's not a big serve... And it's kinda bland. I think the fried rice i cook tastes much better!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall impression of Adelaide, SA: Adelaide city really has NOTHING MUCH to offer. Especially so after 5pm, it is so quiet and everywhere's closed (except for Friday, where most places open til 9pm). However, if you are to travel out of the city, the sceneries can be really beautiful (e.g. Victor Harbour was one of my favorite places. Barossa Valley and its vineyards provides a great view too).

Adelaide City's surprisingly EASY to walk around. For a person as direction stupid as me, I was able to walk around myself without much trouble at all. Nelly had walked with me a couple of times anyway, and I remembered the way. Somehow, I find that I can walk around Adelaide easier than I can walk around Melbourne, which is more confusing.

Feeling refreshed after a short trip! I wonder where will be my next destination?

Wish Nelly all the best for her industry placement!! Aim high!
And again, million thanks to her for accompanying me and showing me around when I visited Adelaide! :)

Shall sign off here... *whew* (what a long post!)

[p/s: if something doesn't make sense, or if u see any spelling or grammatical mistakes, PLEASE forgive me cuz I'm so sleeeepy right now whilst updating... will make corrections when i'm more awake~ CIAO!]

Comments

Popular Posts