Singapore Welcomes Nelly~
Being born in Singapore and grew up in Singapore, I realized that actually, I don't know much about my home country at all. Well yea, I know some history from the History textbooks from way back in secondary school, but then the direction stupid me always lead people to the opposite wrong direction ALL the time... :( How embarassing...
I didn't take many pictures because somehow, I am still a Singaporean and it feels kinda weird to be taking pictures like I'm a tourist. Back home, I love taking pictures of food and my friends... ;)
Anyhow, briefly:
My colleague and friend from Yoyogi, Nelly (from Tianjin, China) came down to Singapore for a 2 days stay before hitting back to Adelaide, Australia. Thus I met up with her and showed her around. Being away for almost a year, and the fact that I haven't been exploring around much since I'm back, I was initially quite lost. Got to grab all my feelings back before I make a fool of myself! lol... Anyway, I met Nelly at City Hall, then we sat down for coffee and waffles at Gelare in Suntec. After that just roamed about Suntec and proceeded to show her the Esplanade. Took some photos at Esplanade and the Singapore River, plus the merlions. Actually Nelly is interested to go to the Botanic Gardens, but the terrible weather conditions, and the fact that I have NO idea how to get there makes us change our minds and go elsewhere instead...


1 - Sir Stamford Raffles - founder of Singapura; 2- Merlion puked on me again....; 3- The 'Durian' behind us...
So, I brought Nelly to Clarke Quay, but realized that there isn't really much to show her either. Took the boat cruise along Singapore river, and that was better, cuz it shows not just our skyscapers, but also the renovated and colourful old buildings that lined the river. Great view. But the weather suck BIG time. Rained and rained and rained and rained!!!! :(




Various views from our boat cruise.
After that, we went to Little India and wow.... everywhere's crowded with lots and lots and lots of people!!! Indians gathered around, shopping, socializing.... Mustafa was so crowded but there's just so much to see! Little India was really enjoyable, despite the fact that it's so crowded (maybe because it was Hari Raya Haji), but it's really culture-rich. Had dinner at 8pm at Sitara Restaurant, serving mostly North Indian food, and the food there is just SUPERB. We ordered Fish Masala (which was fantastic), Butter Chicken, Plain Naan, Butter Parantha and a plate of white rice. The serving didn't seem very big, but it's really really filling! And surprisingly, I managed to chew the chicken and the rotis without alot of difficulties. :) And I love curry!!




7 hours worth of time, and 3 places fully explored. Tired out~! I really hope Nelly enjoys it, though I must say I'm one of the lousiest tour guides that ever existed! But honestly, I feel that Singapore really doesn't have alot to offer either. I really wouldn't recommend the zoo, or Jurong Bird Park, or even the Botanic Gardens, not even Sentosa. Other than that, shopping and eating are the main things to do in Singapore. Unfortunately I didn't get to show her Orchard Road today, but she says she'll go there tomorrow, along with Arab Street. Little India is definitely worth visiting! Nelly's leaving tomorrow night though. Will miss her!! Dunno when will I see her again. Hopefully I'll make plans to go Adelaide or something, or she can always find me in Melbourne! :)
I didn't take many pictures because somehow, I am still a Singaporean and it feels kinda weird to be taking pictures like I'm a tourist. Back home, I love taking pictures of food and my friends... ;)
Anyhow, briefly:
My colleague and friend from Yoyogi, Nelly (from Tianjin, China) came down to Singapore for a 2 days stay before hitting back to Adelaide, Australia. Thus I met up with her and showed her around. Being away for almost a year, and the fact that I haven't been exploring around much since I'm back, I was initially quite lost. Got to grab all my feelings back before I make a fool of myself! lol... Anyway, I met Nelly at City Hall, then we sat down for coffee and waffles at Gelare in Suntec. After that just roamed about Suntec and proceeded to show her the Esplanade. Took some photos at Esplanade and the Singapore River, plus the merlions. Actually Nelly is interested to go to the Botanic Gardens, but the terrible weather conditions, and the fact that I have NO idea how to get there makes us change our minds and go elsewhere instead...


1 - Sir Stamford Raffles - founder of Singapura; 2- Merlion puked on me again....; 3- The 'Durian' behind us... So, I brought Nelly to Clarke Quay, but realized that there isn't really much to show her either. Took the boat cruise along Singapore river, and that was better, cuz it shows not just our skyscapers, but also the renovated and colourful old buildings that lined the river. Great view. But the weather suck BIG time. Rained and rained and rained and rained!!!! :(




Various views from our boat cruise.
After that, we went to Little India and wow.... everywhere's crowded with lots and lots and lots of people!!! Indians gathered around, shopping, socializing.... Mustafa was so crowded but there's just so much to see! Little India was really enjoyable, despite the fact that it's so crowded (maybe because it was Hari Raya Haji), but it's really culture-rich. Had dinner at 8pm at Sitara Restaurant, serving mostly North Indian food, and the food there is just SUPERB. We ordered Fish Masala (which was fantastic), Butter Chicken, Plain Naan, Butter Parantha and a plate of white rice. The serving didn't seem very big, but it's really really filling! And surprisingly, I managed to chew the chicken and the rotis without alot of difficulties. :) And I love curry!!




7 hours worth of time, and 3 places fully explored. Tired out~! I really hope Nelly enjoys it, though I must say I'm one of the lousiest tour guides that ever existed! But honestly, I feel that Singapore really doesn't have alot to offer either. I really wouldn't recommend the zoo, or Jurong Bird Park, or even the Botanic Gardens, not even Sentosa. Other than that, shopping and eating are the main things to do in Singapore. Unfortunately I didn't get to show her Orchard Road today, but she says she'll go there tomorrow, along with Arab Street. Little India is definitely worth visiting! Nelly's leaving tomorrow night though. Will miss her!! Dunno when will I see her again. Hopefully I'll make plans to go Adelaide or something, or she can always find me in Melbourne! :)
Comments