The Year of Dragon

First of all, GONG XI GONG XI to everyone who celebrates Chinese New Year. 新年快乐,心想事成,龙年行大运!And most importantly, 身体健康


Already through the fourth day of CNY, but I could not feel a single bit of 'festivity' here. Of course, it's Australia. It seems like the Chinese population here, or anyone who celebrates CNY (like Vietnamese, Koreans etc) have either returned to their home countries, or they simply just don't care about it. Mainly because our families not here, and everyone who remained during this season are busy. There is no such thing as public holiday for CNY in Australia. What a shame!


However, just yesterday, 26/1, was a public holiday since it's 'Australia Day'. Sadly, I worked at night. It was really quiet though, so managed to finish slightly earlier than other days. I guess many people may have taken Friday off and have a long weekend instead. That explains why there weren't many customers. 


Perhaps the most rewarding thing for this festive season would be receiving a pay rise at the restaurant. Again. However, I know that with every pay rise it means that I will be responsible for a lot more things. Honestly, I am tired now. I realized the change in me since returning from my holidays. I do not wish to be too involved in this business. I just want to report to work punctually , do my best at whatever position I've been assigned for that night, then finish up and go straight back home afterwards. It's the pay at the end of the day that really matters. I shrugged and said "whatever" to things that used to really piss me off. I have started to close one eye to matters that I used to care heaps about. I start to tolerate people whom I used to have a strong dislike for. Everyday I feel super 'sian' to go to work. Everytime I arrive for work at the restaurant I instantly just want to turn and go back again.


Perhaps giving me a pay rise is a strategy to make me stay since they are in desperate need of people who are experienced. Perhaps also, the bosses have already observed my 'heck care' attitude and in order to light up the old passion within me, they thought money would be the best option. I don't know if they are going to succeed doing that, but I will just help out as much as I can and nothing extra. It's just for the money. I need lots of money. I need all these money to travel, and buy a house maybe. I need all these money for my future, knowing that I will only be by myself with no one to depend on. But I do not have all these money. So no matter what, I will need to endure! 


I have not been doing much other than working my ass off, and chilling at home whenever I get time. I did go out a couple of times with friends. Most of the time I hang out with my fellow colleague from the office because it seems like we have mutual timings more than my other friends. 


Last Friday, our company has organized an Australian Open event and gave us free tickets to watch the smaller competitions at Rod Laver Arena. Initially we thought that it is going to be a big outing for our company since a lot of people from the office are going. It turns out that people still stick to their own group and no one mingles at all. It seems like THE cultural within the organization whereby people stick to their own groups, even when it's a company 'event' like this. Everyone's tucked away somewhere, and is no where to be found. I stepped in to one of the games initially with 5 other people, but Mellyza and I ended up being by ourselves.Went to Dove workshop, window shopped at Lacoste store, and caught 2 different tennis competitions before heading off at 3.30pm. 


One of the female doubles game that we caught.
I don't even know who the players are. 


I really like this photo with the tennis mascot.
Though cute, he/she inside does not seem very enthusiastic. At least when I tried waving at it, he/she does not respond in a cheerful fashion.
Or maybe it's just because I am not a kid. 


Then I went to cut my hair at Kairos. Had a new hairdresser from Busan that day, and she was pretty nice. My appointment was at 7.30pm, and they close at 8pm, so I was the last customer there. However, she was still doing her best to cut and style my hair. Despite telling her that I didn't need styling since I was heading home straight after, she said she has to. I didn't get her name though.
I had it cut shorter than I initially intended. Don't know why I just thought shorter hair probably suits me a little better than longer hair.However, it's hard to tie my hair at the restaurant now without using like 6 bobby pins to hold my hair together. Bleah.


Of course, visiting cafes is a must for me. One of the 2 things I do like about Melbourne is their coffee. Then it's the weather (not humid like Singapore, and there's winter!). Barely a month that I am back, I managed to try two cafes which I have always wanted to go to: HARDWARE SOCIETE in Hardware Street (CBD), and DEAD MAN ESPRESSO in South Melbourne. 


Cocette eggs - Crab meat, salmon eggs, eggs and French Bread.
So yummy! The food there is really nice. The coffee was so-so, but the food is definitely worth the 35 minutes wait.
Yes, there is always a long queue at Hardware Societe during breakfast and brunch hours. The place is very small, even if they have both indoor and outdoor sitting area, it is still insufficient for their demand. 


At Dead Man Espresso, the BLT sandwich there was parfait~
The pork belly was just yum~ I can never resist pork belly, despite that they are fattening and relatively unhealthy. 


I wonder about their name too, though I never did ask.
This cafe is one of the most famous cafes in Melbourne. In my opinion, their coffee is very good, but not the best yet that I've tried. But if you ask me whether I'll go back again, I'll say YES. 




On a 40 degrees day, I met up with Eva and the ever-so-cute Zoe. She is turning 4 in another month! My goodness... how time flies! 




Eva and I... 


I love this little girl like my own.
She was carrying her new Barney school bag that I've bought for her in Singapore. I am glad she loves it! :)




And then, Vivian from Shanghai has came back to Melbourne for a 2 weeks holiday, and she asked Benise and I to meet up. Unfortunately the 40 degrees heat drained all of us out. We were feeling too hot and tired to really hold her chirpy conversation. Had Korean food at Seoul House for dinner. 


She has slimmed down so much since starting her life work in Shanghai.
It was great seeing her... 


New Korean restaurant called Kass received good reviews, so Jess and I went to try it out.
Unfortunately they ran out of cheese, so we wasn't able to try their signature cheese katsu dish.
So we ordered the plain pork katsu, a spicy chicken dish, and had beers. 






Jess and I on the train on the way back home. 

And not to forget, Harper's Kitchen in St. Kilda - less than 5 minutes walk from the office. I go there almost everyday for coffee during lunch breaks. The owners know us and and our orders very well so there is no need to repeat our orders. How convenient. 






Should be in bed by now since it's almost 2.30AM! Gosh.... I always tell myself that I have to start sleeping early and have sufficient sleep so that I can be wide awake at work, but somehow I never managed to follow the promise I made for myself. Luckily we now have alternate Fridays as 'half-day Fridays' where we finish work at 1pm. This Friday is a half-day, thus I may be able to take a nap before heading off to work again at night! 


For now, GOOD NIGHT, folks! Til I blog again..................... 

Comments

Popular Posts