JAKOB turns ONE! & TIM BURTON EXHIBITION

On Saturday 09/10/10, I went to Albert Park with Daniel to attend a BBQ session organized by our friends Tim and Minha, for their son Jakob, who just turned one on 8th October. Jakob has changed so much since I last saw him! Grown so much bigger, and so much cheekier! And not to mention, so much heavier! And very very cute as well. You can't believe how much love he gave me simply by not crying when I carried him. He wrapped his arms around my neck and played with my necklace. :) I love toddlers. They are just so cute, so warm and so cuddly....

The BBQ didn't start straightaway. It was scheduled to start at 12pm, and we reached at 12.15pm. However, it was closer to 1pm when everything was ready. Minha's brother was cooking (he's a chef anyway, and to my surprise he remembered me and I'm from SG, but not my name. We've only met once before), and Tim and his parents were getting everything ready and looking after Jakob. There weren't much to help with so Daniel and I were just talking. The BBQ venue was right next to the lake in Albert Park. The weather was as nice as Spring should be, and the view was great too.... It was just a lovely day to be out BBQ-ing.

When the meal has started, we helped ourselves to delicious home-made jap chae, sausages, chicken on skewers with satay sauce, salad (which I didn't touch cuz it's tomato loaded), bulgogi and rice. About 1.30pm everyone gathered around and Minha's brother played the guitar. Together we sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jakob. As a Korean tradition, a child who just turned one has to choose an item off a tray of different things - a spool of thread (for longevity), money (for wealth), book and pen (indicating that you will be a scholar - based on ancient times), green leafy vegetable (for a healthy life), a container of rice (I can't remember what it represents but it is also something about a good life). This is called 돌잔치 (Dolchan-chi). My very first experience to witness this tradition as well. In the end, Jakob picked the money - which will represent wealth in future - and I am sure Minha and Tim will be very very happy with the choice cuz it is known that typical Koreans will prefer their kids to pick the money so that they will be rich in future. ;)

Korean traditional rice cake was cut and served. The cake wasn't very sweet, but it tasted good to me, though very filling. I got to hold Jakob afterwards, and chatted with Tim, Tim's mom and Minha for a bit, before leaving them at 2.15pm. 

Photobucket
happy family cutting the cake with little Jakob.
Tim's half Portugese and half Indonesian. Minha's full Korean. Jakob is so mixed! And he looks exactly like Tim~ He was also wearing the Korean traditional costume for his 돌잔치, which looked really nice.


Photobucket
After a nappy change, I held little Jakob as he clung on to me. 

Visited Frankie's cafe since I was already in Albert Park, and his cafe is just nearby. Benise was baking cakes in the kitchen, and Yiyi has already arrived. We chatted and hung around with our coffee before Yiyi and I set off to work at 3.30pm.

Saturday night was a nightmare to me. I was in the bar, and the place just turned havoc. We were so busy, that by the end of the night, all of us were so exhausted we couldn't even walk straight. For the first time, I have completely lost track of all my bookings, and was struggling to catch up. Went to the city afterwards with Yiyi and had supper at Stalactites (Greek place). We were so hungry and tired we gobbled up our meals without much talking. Summer's fast approaching, and with daylight savings, everyone's out to eat/play/party... There will be more of these nightmares to come...... 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On Sunday 10/10/10, I met up with Yongshan and Shu Yea at Fed Square and we went to Tim Burton's Exhibition at ACMI in Fed Sq. It was the last day of the exhibition, and luckily I managed to squeeze in the time to go. The exhibition was FANTABULOUS! I was intrigue with every single sketch Tim Burton did, and all his poems, high school essays, and other works - either released, or unreleased. My favorite is probably Stain Boy and Robot Boy. However, I also like Batman, Batman Returns, The Nightmare before Christmas, Edward Scissorshands, Mars Attack!, Charlie and the Chocolate factory and Corpse Bride. My least favorite is probably Planet of the Apes, which I honestly didn't like. I have yet to watch some of his works, and some of them I badly wanted to see: Sweeny Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Sleepy Hollow and Beetle Juice

Photobucket
The entrance to the exhibition
No photos allowed inside.

Fortunately we bought tickets by phone, and we get instant access. Otherwise you will have to queue up for a long time to gain access. Since it was the last few days, there were lots and lots of people. I am elated I got to watch it before it's over ('ve been wanting to go for a long time ever since the exhibition started late June). 

There was a Taiwan festival just outside Fed Sq and we also took a look. I actually felt at home amongst all the Taiwanese even though I've never spent a long period of time in Taiwan at any point of my life. I guess my Taiwanese blood flows strong in me... 

We were starving by the time we left Fed Sq, so we went to Dessert House to have late lunch (at 3pm). Shopped for a while in the newly-renovated Myer. ALMOST bought another pair of shoes, but curbed my temptations. Went to work unwillingly afterwards, and it was another busy night (though not as crazy as Saturday). Glad I wasn't the bar person that night, however, I was so sleepy I didn't even know what I was doing. Passed the night in a blur, even though I was drenched in sweat from running around. ARGH.

Another 6 dinners and 2 lunches this week. Not that I am complaining cuz I need the cash, but then, I really hope I won't feel so tired every single day!! :( 


Comments

Popular Posts