A (pretty) Brief Recount of my Qatar Trip
Anyway, my journey began on 15 September, and ended 22 September.

Views from the plane. Emirates: Melbourne - KL - Dubai - Doha

The mosque just right outside my dad's apartment. 5 times a day they will call out for prayers, and we can hear them very clearly from where we are.

My very first meal in Doha... A chicken wrap from an Istanbul eatery. Very nice.

Me with my parents in Villaggio - a shopping centre which looks almost similar to The Venetian in Macau with a canal (and gondolas) and its 'blue-skies-white-clouds' ceiling. Endless high-end shops which I can look, but not buy.
Note I am in a CARDIGAN. The shopping centers there are blasting with air-conditioning, and there was an ice-skating rink inside, the entire place got quite cold after being inside for a while. Qatar (and the Middle East region) is so hot during the summer months, even their water is hot 24/7 (no joke! There's no cool running tap water). I was lucky to visit in September when the temperature dipped lower. But it was still a mid-40 degrees during the day.

My most unforgettable experience - riding on a camel in the desert at Sealine.
The camels travelled in pairs, pretty tame, and led by an Arabian man who charged QR 20 for a 5 minute ride.
The camel I was riding on was the one I initiated patting. He (yes, it's a male... they are ALL male camels) resisted at my first touch but looked at me, as if trying to evaluate what kind of person I am... heh... However at my second touch, he let me pat him and 'sayang' him.

Camels have really big teeth, and they chew noisily. This other one I have fed later on in the day just outside the Souq gnawed at the tree branches with his big teeth, and 'bleated' a mellow 'thank you' to me (or so I imagined that sound he made to be).
Oh, and their eyelashes are so pretty! Who says everyone (mammals so camels are included) need Maybelline Turbo Pro Extendable XXL mascaras?? (I don't even know my mascaras here lol)


An amazing sight taken at sunset near the Al Rayyan Camel Race Tracks.
We weren't quite sure the reason why these camels were being ushered to and from between the race tracks to the other side of the road. We assumed they were being ushered home from the race tracks, and a new batch of camels took over whatever they need to do in the tracks. There didn't seem to have any races going on at that time though... Hopefully our hunches were correct...

Doha city view... from the car

I didn't get the name of this building, but it's my favorite out of the so many unique looking ones in Doha...

Dinner at Chilli's - a Mexican place. We ordered fajitas with prawns, beef and chicken. Plus buffalo wings. However, the margherita I've ordered tasted too sweet, and just one sip I knew there was no alcohol in it. I had forgotten momentarily that I was in a country where Islam forbade drinking, and for restaurants to sell alcohol... :\

At The Pearl - a reclaimed piece of land shaped just like a pearl with shopping centres, hotels and expensive apartments built on it.
Afterwards we went briefly to the Corniche, but I couldn't capture any good photos there since it was night time. It's a bay that lines the city center (west) to the south side (read this fact somewhere).

Mooncakes I bought over for Dad and Mom from Australia. I knew they didn't have any there, and it was almost Mid-Autumn festival.
All 3 of us agreed that these mooncakes are so much better than those we find in SG. Taiwanese-produced mooncakes are not oily, and the skin's really thin and tasty. I think I made a fantastic choice, even though I haven't tried that brand before.

At Souq Waqif - "The Standing Market" - one of the most important 'souq's in Doha.
Shops selling mostly fabrics, spices (and food) and handicrafts. Was very tempted to dive into a shisha lounge, but my parents forbade :(
Couldn't stay much longer at the Souq because the weather was so hot, and it was unbearably HUMID and suffocating in the souq. Mum was starting to feel unwell because of the heat, and my eyesight seemed to have become blurry as well. I've been sick and my eyes were tearing sleeps so much I get blurry eyesight (especially during night time). I suspected conjuntivities, but I wasn't sure. Just hoping it will go away, since I don't really want to go to the doctor... (but now I'm OK.. WHEW!).

Some pretty souveniors I saw at City Center Shopping Mall. Almost bought them, but saved money by taking photos instead :P

Mummy and I at Ponderossa - a steakhouse/all-you-can-eat buffet off Salwa Road.
Ate quite a lot for QR 50 per person. The hot food was good (in taste) though not a wide selection, and there weren't any desserts though except for fruits and ice-cream.

Aspire Tower near the Aspire Park located at the Sports City Complex.
Dad works opposite the park, and his job is somewhat related to the Aspire Zone. I don't think I will go into details.

Seriously, I was surprised to find Krispy Kreme in Qatar.
This was taken in Landmark - another shopping center in Doha. This was the shopping center where I actually bought things from - a pair of black heels, 3 tops and biscuits from Marks & Spencer. Plus souveniors for colleagues.

Since our days were mostly spent indoors when my dad's at work (and to avoid the atrocious heat), Mum cooked for me at my Dad's apartment.
Mum does not do heavy cooking like many Chinese families. Mostly soups/noodle soups, and simple, non-oily fried rice... But they were all so yummy. It was especially delicious because Mum puts in all her love when she cooked, and I can taste them. What's more, how often do you get to taste Mum's cooking when you are living alone overseas??
Mum's sweet-corn soup is the BEST. As I've remembered from young, til now. I don't usually order this anywhere outside because no where sells sweet-corn soup tasting like just like the one Mum makes... Plus, Mum knows I love drinking soups... I can go without rice or anything else, but I appreciate my soup. :)

Oh, and did I mention that I dropped by Singapore's Changi Airport on my way back to Melbourne? Yep...
Emirates: Doha - Dubai - Singapore - Melbourne
Flying to and fro Melbourne and Doha makes my back and butt ache like crazy. Long long flights are just not my thing... I think I could've watched 10 movies on board and played rounds and rounds of... Alchemy. 2 movies left me big impressions - "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Harmony 하모니". Oh, "Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time" was pretty good too... The other movies were OK... But they all made my treacherous flight a lot better in one way or another.....
That's all.... Probably will seem like a distorted post because I've only picked out some of the stuff from my trip... but I guess that's enough. And even though Qatar is a small country with nothing much to do (honestly), I dare say I did NOT return fruit-less... In other words, no doubt it is not the best place to actually learn about the Arabic culture, but I did not learn nothing. My traveling experiences may be shallow, but I guess I will build on it soon... I'd have visited lots more of Middle East IF I HAVE THE MONEY... I fund my own travels, from my own hard-earned money... I guess I need to take up a second job soon if I want to be able to travel more places...
I miss my parents badly... It's not like everyday all of us get to gather together... That's the most precious and unforgettable time in Qatar I've spent with them... if only I didn't lose my voice, I would be able to talk a lot more to them....
Comments