How nice it is when a good friend visits from overseas, and you spend a few quality days with him/her.

One of my good friend from Korea, Jay (or I call her 언니, or elder sister since she is 2 years my senior) visits for a 6-week “escapade”. She is not in Melbourne for the full 6 weeks though – 5 days in Malaysia, some in Perth, some in Brisbane, Cairns, and parts of Queensland, some in Uluru. However the bulk of her stay was in Melbourne, where she stayed for 7 months or so four years ago when she was on her working holiday. Here she revisited the places she missed, visit the cafes and markets, and also catch up with some of her good friends.

As I work during the week and have no car, I couldn’t really bring her around that much, so Jay went to the regional areas of Victoria with another of her friend (who is now also my friend). I hung out with her on Saturdays, as well as Sunday mornings. She stayed overnight at my place on Saturday too. It was great fun with her! We went to Williamstown together, took a river cruise, went for a BBQ at a friend’s, and walked around Melbourne city shopping together and so on. It was great fun! It was great for Jay as well, as this trip is a relaxing break from her usual hectic work life, so typical of working in Korea! She usually works until late into the night, non-stop, and get paid very little. She really wants to come to Australia, but unfortunately at the moment there is no way for her to stay permanently unless she comes back as a student. But she hasn’t got the financial capabilities to do so.

Jay and I spoke solely in Korean, so it was pretty intensive for me as well. Although I am quite fluent, I have not spoken so much Korean in a day (other than when I was staying in Korea). Gave me a headache after a while but it was a good practice.


Hope to see her again end of this year, when (and if I can) visit Korea! Jay’s brother and also some of my friends are pestering me to visit Korea, and I wish to too, if I can afford it. Getting quite broke! I am also looking to go back home over Christmas and New Year as well so hope everything will work out just fine. 

Comments

Popular Posts