And I moved.... yet again
Ok... So I went through the ordeal of moving.... again! It was a nightmare. You cannot imagine how many things I've collected over the years and have never threw out. So many clothes and 65% of them I hardly even wear... Shoes and more shoes... Bags and more bags... Books and more books... Junk and more junk. O.M.G.
I threw out bags and bags of things I eventually decided to put into the 'rubbish' basket. I've donated close to 10 bags of clothing. I still have heaps leftover. The packing was horrendous! And what's more, I am mostly packing the things IN MY ROOM. The move was even worse! Even though I was only moving three streets down, it felt like I am moving three suburbs down instead. I was so flat out after the move.
Initially I was really game to stay by myself - one bedroom apartment all to myself. The thought was great. I love my own freedom and space. But a twist of events made me having to find a place quickly (long story here so I won't go into detail) and none of the houses I've viewed ticked my boxes. Only one apartment near Carnegie ticked most of my boxes and I applied for that one. The agent took so long to get back to me. Fire's burning on my bum so in the end I looked in Plan B - share house and save costs. Happened to see this ad on Gumtree and this place is only 5 minutes away on foot from my (old) place and looks really nice so I went for an inspection. Turned out I really liked it. The Aussie girl staying there seems really nice, and she has a cat too! It was a big dilemma between staying by myself and spend more (especially the hefty start-up costs), or share with one other person and spend less (no hefty start-up costs). In the end, I chose the latter.
So I packed and arranged for a mover. I gave my single bed and single bedsheets, single electric blanket and my shoe rack to my old housemates. I bought a new queen size mattress, 2 queen size bedsheets, a queen base for the mattress, a shoe cabinet, and another bookshelf. These items are all from IKEA. The mover met me at IKEA on Saturday 27/7 to move my purchases, then to my old place to get my desk, chair, smaller bookshelf, 20 or more boxes of my stuff and moved them all to my new place. Moving the items up to my new place was a torture, especially the base. It was just me, a girl, and a 60+ year old man who is strong, but old... Oh my.... muscle aches after the move!! I still had to clean the place and set everything up. And I assembled my IKEA furniture all by myself... The shoe cabinet was tougher as it is more complicated, but the bookshelf was relatively easier. I went to IKEA again and got a rug, picture for the wall and a table lamp. To think I am even bothered to decorate my room when I was never bothered before....
My room looks really welcoming now. And my housemate has done the house in a very homely way and she has everything! So no need to fork out money for washing machine, fridge, microwave etc. She has them all. She even has a dishwasher! I don't really need a dishwasher though since I prefer washing dishes myself but it's nice to have in case I got lazy...
And my best gift.... is Ibi. Oh my she is just such a lovely little cat. Well... not little anymore. She's like 6 (cat) years, but she is such a lap cat. Loves sitting on my lap for a cuddle and refuses to get off until I shake her off. And she loves my bed too. Always take possession of my bed when I left for work. I am not her owner so not expecting too much affection for me compared to love for her owner. She jumps down to greet my housemate when she gets back, but I don't get that unless she wants food. I am fine with that actually. Only problem is that she sheds too much hair. I got to vacuum after her all the time.
There wasn't any internet in the house either as my housemate only uses her mobile data. I cannot imagine myself living without any proper internet so I signed up for one. TPG takes up to 10 working days to get things connected. I tried connecting my wireless modem but failed to get my wireless working. So I got to call them up to get them to activate the wireless on their side for me. Turned out it wasn't really my error. There were some glitches in the system that was causing my wireless unable to connect. It's all done now so I am able to surf again!
Anyway, a few pictures of my house:
Nicely settled into the house now. I hope I don't have to move again any time soon! Moving is such a pain, from house hunting, to packing and throwing, right down to the actual move itself. I really hope the next time I have to move will be because I have bought a new house! For now, this place so far seems really good, and so is my housemate and her cat. I hope things remain the way they are!
I threw out bags and bags of things I eventually decided to put into the 'rubbish' basket. I've donated close to 10 bags of clothing. I still have heaps leftover. The packing was horrendous! And what's more, I am mostly packing the things IN MY ROOM. The move was even worse! Even though I was only moving three streets down, it felt like I am moving three suburbs down instead. I was so flat out after the move.
Initially I was really game to stay by myself - one bedroom apartment all to myself. The thought was great. I love my own freedom and space. But a twist of events made me having to find a place quickly (long story here so I won't go into detail) and none of the houses I've viewed ticked my boxes. Only one apartment near Carnegie ticked most of my boxes and I applied for that one. The agent took so long to get back to me. Fire's burning on my bum so in the end I looked in Plan B - share house and save costs. Happened to see this ad on Gumtree and this place is only 5 minutes away on foot from my (old) place and looks really nice so I went for an inspection. Turned out I really liked it. The Aussie girl staying there seems really nice, and she has a cat too! It was a big dilemma between staying by myself and spend more (especially the hefty start-up costs), or share with one other person and spend less (no hefty start-up costs). In the end, I chose the latter.
So I packed and arranged for a mover. I gave my single bed and single bedsheets, single electric blanket and my shoe rack to my old housemates. I bought a new queen size mattress, 2 queen size bedsheets, a queen base for the mattress, a shoe cabinet, and another bookshelf. These items are all from IKEA. The mover met me at IKEA on Saturday 27/7 to move my purchases, then to my old place to get my desk, chair, smaller bookshelf, 20 or more boxes of my stuff and moved them all to my new place. Moving the items up to my new place was a torture, especially the base. It was just me, a girl, and a 60+ year old man who is strong, but old... Oh my.... muscle aches after the move!! I still had to clean the place and set everything up. And I assembled my IKEA furniture all by myself... The shoe cabinet was tougher as it is more complicated, but the bookshelf was relatively easier. I went to IKEA again and got a rug, picture for the wall and a table lamp. To think I am even bothered to decorate my room when I was never bothered before....
My room looks really welcoming now. And my housemate has done the house in a very homely way and she has everything! So no need to fork out money for washing machine, fridge, microwave etc. She has them all. She even has a dishwasher! I don't really need a dishwasher though since I prefer washing dishes myself but it's nice to have in case I got lazy...
And my best gift.... is Ibi. Oh my she is just such a lovely little cat. Well... not little anymore. She's like 6 (cat) years, but she is such a lap cat. Loves sitting on my lap for a cuddle and refuses to get off until I shake her off. And she loves my bed too. Always take possession of my bed when I left for work. I am not her owner so not expecting too much affection for me compared to love for her owner. She jumps down to greet my housemate when she gets back, but I don't get that unless she wants food. I am fine with that actually. Only problem is that she sheds too much hair. I got to vacuum after her all the time.
There wasn't any internet in the house either as my housemate only uses her mobile data. I cannot imagine myself living without any proper internet so I signed up for one. TPG takes up to 10 working days to get things connected. I tried connecting my wireless modem but failed to get my wireless working. So I got to call them up to get them to activate the wireless on their side for me. Turned out it wasn't really my error. There were some glitches in the system that was causing my wireless unable to connect. It's all done now so I am able to surf again!
Anyway, a few pictures of my house:
![]() |
| This picture was taken from the advertisement. It looks nicer because it was photoshopped slightly. But it doesn't alter what it looks like (on a nice, sunny day) |
![]() |
| The living room |
![]() |
| Hallway near the entrance, with Ibi standing guard. |
![]() |
| Again taken from the ad. This is the kitchen. |
![]() |
| Also from the ad, this is the bathroom. Toilets are seperate from the bathroom, which is good! |
![]() |
| My new bedroom! Love my queen bed. So comfy... |
![]() |
| My bookshelf. I still have some books in the storeroom but I guess I will not take those out because I don't have enough shelf space even with two bookshelves (didn't take any pics of the old one) |
![]() |
| I made this in my room. Most of my polaroids are pasted in my diary, but I still have some loose ones so they go ''pegged" on my wall! |
Nicely settled into the house now. I hope I don't have to move again any time soon! Moving is such a pain, from house hunting, to packing and throwing, right down to the actual move itself. I really hope the next time I have to move will be because I have bought a new house! For now, this place so far seems really good, and so is my housemate and her cat. I hope things remain the way they are!









Comments
The place does look very cosy and homely. Hopefully you need not move anymore until you are ready for your own place. :)
it is not bad so far. i love the cat, and i like being able to watch tv when i get back from work and chill on the sofa. :)