Sheer Relaxation in March
We are slowly edging towards the end of summer. YAY for people like me, BOO for people who are not like me (and that is probably many Aussies out there). I am actually dealing with the heat much better this year as compared with last year. At least I complained a lot less and am able to walk under the sun for a much longer time than before without running for aircon shelter. But I still hope the heat will go away and the cooler climate to embrace us.
Last month we had 14 straight days of hot days, temperature ranging from 30-38 degrees. These two weeks are the same. We had a couple of 21-25 degrees days which was perfect for me, but now the temperature has risen again and presently it's 33 degrees. Looking at the forecast it looks like this will continue til next week. But this is probably the last of the hot days we have left before autumn comes.
I was looking forward to March because tomorrow (Wed 6/3) WE ARE GOING TO THE GOLD COAST!!!! Yes, WE are! Which means, I AM GOING TOO! All Millward Brown permanent employees are invited to the Gold Coast for 3 days 2 nights of conference, and parties. All expense paid trip, and we are staying at QT, which is a 5-star hotel facing the sea. We are going to have buffet for breakfast, paid lunches, paid tea breaks, paid accommodation, paid flights, paid parties, paid endless flow of alcohol. And we are paid to not work. Yes! You got me right.
But of course, there is the conference part of it, which is supposed to be half formal half informal. I don't really know what it is about yet, but from other colleagues it seems like we will all be divided into different groups, do some brainstorming engaging in various activities. There will of course, be meetings. Strategies, plans, proposals and presentations by various people. And possibly the MD of Australia as well. HR. CS team. Representatives from different departments? Melbourne office will join with the permanent employees from the Sydney office so I will be meeting with a LOT of people.
Tomorrow, we will meet at the office at 7am and set off 7.15am on a company shuttle that will bring us to the airport. Then our flight is at 9.15am (MEL time), reaching there at around 10.20am (QLD time - 1 hour difference). Then we will check in, have lunch and then conference starts at 12.30pm to 5pm. After which we have a break and then there will be a poolside party. Theme is: white with a splash of gold. Casual. That's easy for me. I have heaps of white top and just accessorise with some gold jewellery. Done.
On Thursday it will be a toll on us. Conference starts at 8.45am and will end at 5.30pm. Gosh.... This is certainly what I am not looking forward to... But at night afterwards, we have a cocktail party, and the theme is: Casino Royale... James Bond.... Or Bond girl?? Sounds like fun, but I hate having to wear cocktail, makeup and do my hair etc. I had to pop into my luggage, a cocktail dress, heels and a hair straightener.... Makes my luggage heavier than I wanted it to (it's a carry-on so I want it to be as light as possible!). I wonder how the guys are going to bring their tuxe and nice-ironed shirt in a suitcase. I rather pick my manager's idea of wearing what James Bond would wear on a day off - casual. I am inclined to do that too actually. But I have picked out my dress (which I've not worn ever since 2009 or 2010 when I attended a wedding in it). Should I get a toy pistol?
On Friday, we will check out before 11am and then it's free day! Tentatively I am going to have lunch with some colleagues by the beach (if it's not raining), and look around Surfer's Paradise before heading back and go to the airport. We will reach Melbourne Friday night.
Some of my colleagues are staying on for the long weekend (it's labour day holidays on Monday!), but have to pay for their own accommodation, so I opted out. I have been to the Gold Coast, Surfer's Paradise and the theme parks a few years ago, so nothing is new to me.
Am I really that excited? Not really. It's something to look forward to, and something different from my usual routine. Plus, you get paid not to 'work'. The things that I am NOT looking forward to are: 1) having to wake up super early tomorrow morning to get into the office by 7am; 2) the super long conference on Thursday..... If it's 90% play and 10% conference, how nice would that be?
I am almost packed now. Just a few more things to finalise tomorrow before I leave.
I am almost packed now. Just a few more things to finalise tomorrow before I leave.
Then.... end of the month we have a longer Easter break. Good Friday, Saturday, Easter Day, Easter Monday.... four whole days. I was seriously contemplating to take Thursday off and go to NZ but it's so bloody expensive! Now I am on the lookout for cheap flights to anywhere, but many international flights promoted by Jetstar has only sales for one way travel. Looks like I am staying put. Perhaps I will plan a trip somewhere in regional Victoria for a change?
Will try to blog again after I return from the conference. Meanwhile, please visit my food web at http://theporkbelly.wordpress.com/ for my foodie adventures! Although only Melbourne at the moment, I am looking to expand my gastronomic experiences interstate and overseas as well, so watch the space for more to come!
Comments