Splurge and be poor-er

It's not that I don't like my HTC or fell out of it. It's still a great phone and functions well. It's just an irrepressible itch to purchase Samsung's latest galaxy s3 that in the end I went online to Kogan.com, forked out AUD$538 and purchased a brand new pearl white 16GB galaxy 3. For a few days I was anxiously monitoring the TOLL courier and my email praying that this really expensive purchase will arrive me safely. I received it at my office yesterday, much to my relief!


In many ways the Samsung phone functions differently from HTC and other androids that I've laid my fingers on. You may think that these android phones shouldn't be too different from each other. Theoretically, it is true. But technically, it is made from different companies so differences are expected. In fact I found that Samsung phones are actually more interactive than that of other androids, with cute fonts available, right down to self-design widgets so you can customise your phone. It is lighter too despite having a slightly wider screen (a wee bit wider than the One X, barely noticeable). Images displayed on this phone has more clarity than that of One X, and although their cameras speak the same specs, I found Samsung S3 possessing a better camera. Scrolling through a webpage, for example, does not lag. In fact, scroll through any messages, pictures etc and you will be amazed how smooth and swift it is. This is something the iPhone can't really accomplish (though I think iPhone5 may have improved). There are a whole lot more other cool features like palm swipe and stuff, which I haven't quite yet figured out, but I will spend some time over this weekend to do some exploration. All in all, I'd say this is a pretty cool phone to own, and though not cheap, I did not regret buying it.


Contrary to some negative reviews I have heard and read, I am still more bent towards the positive ones favouring the S3 to iPhone5. The feeling I had was almost just like how I've fallen in love with the galaxy 2 a year ago but never got to own one. I loved the squarish shape of the s2 though the software to that is probably a generation behind. S3 has a less attractive shape but I honestly do not mind it as far as my tastes go, though a squarish shape would have been more preferable.


Of course i don't just sing praises for the phone. I need to measure the cons too. Honestly, there are also aspects I don't really fancy, the first being having to pry the back cover open in vain to insert the battery and SIM card. Felt like I was either going to break my fingernails, or snap the cover in two, or BOTH. Also the lightweight typing which I am still not very used to, bugs me a little. I also don't like the way Google syncs my contacts from my gmail, yahoo, facebook, LinkedIn etc... anything that has a 'contact list' (like your 'friends' list) on them will be synchronised onto the phone memory's contact list. Much inconvenience too, to tediously delete these redundant contacts one at a time cuz it seems like there is no one option that allows me to delete all irrelevant contacts at once. Or maybe the function is hiding and it's just me not being very used to, or familiar with the phone yet. It also took me a while to figure out how to save an image from the internet, with the help of googling up other people's comments and experiences with the phone.


Sometimes I really wonder why I can be such a gadget freak. I don't mind splurging on these things but I don't even need so many mobile phones. Now I am $538 less to spend on my next travels (that could be one hotel stay!) Fortunately I am not half interested in the boring non-Steve Jobs version of the iPhone 5. That I can assure I won't spend any more unnecessary money on.


Hopefully my next mobile won't be in a long while... though I am sorta eyeing the Note2 but that would be a tad bulky for now so for the sake of fitting more things in my bag, I would give that a miss.


First post out of my Samsung Galaxy 3. Though when typing a long passage I'd usually rather use my iPad or even better my laptop for the convenience of typing (especially when I simply love hearing the rapid thud thud thud sounds of fingers running on a keyboard). Gotta get used to my new phone so that's why I am using it to even blog! (though in the end I still edited the images and put this string of text from my laptop lol).



Comments

Popular Posts