Excitement. Excitement. Excitement.
My company has invited us to their annual Christmas party on the 2 December at the Eureka 89. Unfortunately I can't make it because I will be in Singapore.
Imagine, Eureka 89.... How many people will get the chance to go up to the top-most level of the highest building in the southern hemisphere unless you can afford it? Tourists can only go up as high as the 88th floor, where the observation deck is. Bummed I am going to miss it. For some time after I received the invitation I was rather tempted to buy an air ticket from Singapore to Melbourne for a couple of days and then fly back to Singapore again. But is it really worth it? I guess for this purpose I think not.
As November approaches, excitement also starts to level up. In another 18 days, I will be home bound! Like, OMG! I have not done anything other than further extending my air ticket to depart Singapore back here from 22nd to 27th December. I did that because I will be spending 10-12 days in the middle east. Haven't booked the tickets yet for that part of my trip. There are many things I have not done- gift shopping (will I ever get time to do them?), applying for bridging visa B, packing, arranging someone to send me to the airport (or maybe I can go by myself by public transport) etc. I haven't actually have time to further think about what I want to prepare, bring, making short trips etc. Everyday I return home exhausted or if I ever get time for myself friends would ask me out for dinners, or I would be catching up on precious sleep. I foresee that in the next 18 days I would be rather busy. All my Saturdays (my only day offs) have been booked pretty much. Hopefully I can have everything done before I depart.
The past week or so have been great. One, we had a long weekend because of Melbourne Cup Day. I don't get a long one though because I still got to work at the restaurant. Two, Jay is FINALLY BACK in Melbourne after spending 6 months in Queensland! She was only back for 4 days before flying to New Zealand, where she is now. I missed her so much!! She will come back to Melbourne for a week or so after her trip to NZ, and then she will drop by Singapore (and I will also be there so HOORAY!) and then she will go back to Korea for good.
Met her twice during her short stay here, and we had a great time. Love this unni of mine. I can't wait to visit her in Korea next year!
There are too many little outings to pen down here (and thus boring people out), but a memorable one is FINALLY making my way down to South Melbourne on Melbourne Cup Day with Mellyza and tried out the coffee and lunch at St Ali - a cafe revamped from an old fire brigade, located in a little alleyway near south Melbourne market. The coffee there definitely worth the ravings in all coffee review guides. The food there is good too! Tried the steak and it was yum!
There's another cafe nearby called "Dead Man Espresso" that I badly want to try out. Too bad they were closed on Cup Day. Next time I will definitely make it down!
And then Cafe Giraffe, one of my absolute favorites - haven't been there in a long while and then we went there just last night.
It may seem like I am having lots of fun, but work wise, I am working doubly hard. Whilst I am just doing my regular stuff in the office, I have added responsibilities at the restaurant. 2 weeks ago the 2 bosses sat me down and had a meeting with me. They want me to take the job as a trainer. Their plan was to let me train the new staff, and my senior will train the 'not-so-new' staff to become senior staff. To be honest, I hate the job! I hate teaching people because I cannot teach. I hate following new staff around and picking out their mistakes. I don't think I do as good a job as my senior did, but she told me I am doing alright. The younger boss actually wanted me to do the teaching because he thinks I am good at pushing people (I don't know if that's in a good or bad sense), and the new staff needs a good push to get them going. So recently, given this new responsibility, I have been training 2 new staff, and trying to get another new staff to memorise the menu and the short forms we use whilst taking order. I am literally giving this girl pop quizzes every 10 minutes or so, annoying her heaps.
I have been training for a long time now, though it never really is my sole responsibility. I only come in when my senior is not around, or when she has too many people /things to take care of. But now, I take the entire load, and I hate it. But bar positions now belongs to me on Sundays. And FYI bar position on Sunday is the MOST stressful position ever, and if he/she screws up, the whole flow is screwed. I always feel drained after every shift on Sunday, especially so I also work lunch shifts on Sunday as well. >.<
I can't wait for my holidays! I need a break. Bad news is I have gained 2.5 kg and I really really hope I can lose at least 3kg before I get back. I feel extremely fat, and nothing I wear seem to make me any slimmer. SIGH!
The next time I blog will probably be in Singapore? Perhaps I may be able to blog more often when I am on holidays. See how I go.
Imagine, Eureka 89.... How many people will get the chance to go up to the top-most level of the highest building in the southern hemisphere unless you can afford it? Tourists can only go up as high as the 88th floor, where the observation deck is. Bummed I am going to miss it. For some time after I received the invitation I was rather tempted to buy an air ticket from Singapore to Melbourne for a couple of days and then fly back to Singapore again. But is it really worth it? I guess for this purpose I think not.
As November approaches, excitement also starts to level up. In another 18 days, I will be home bound! Like, OMG! I have not done anything other than further extending my air ticket to depart Singapore back here from 22nd to 27th December. I did that because I will be spending 10-12 days in the middle east. Haven't booked the tickets yet for that part of my trip. There are many things I have not done- gift shopping (will I ever get time to do them?), applying for bridging visa B, packing, arranging someone to send me to the airport (or maybe I can go by myself by public transport) etc. I haven't actually have time to further think about what I want to prepare, bring, making short trips etc. Everyday I return home exhausted or if I ever get time for myself friends would ask me out for dinners, or I would be catching up on precious sleep. I foresee that in the next 18 days I would be rather busy. All my Saturdays (my only day offs) have been booked pretty much. Hopefully I can have everything done before I depart.
The past week or so have been great. One, we had a long weekend because of Melbourne Cup Day. I don't get a long one though because I still got to work at the restaurant. Two, Jay is FINALLY BACK in Melbourne after spending 6 months in Queensland! She was only back for 4 days before flying to New Zealand, where she is now. I missed her so much!! She will come back to Melbourne for a week or so after her trip to NZ, and then she will drop by Singapore (and I will also be there so HOORAY!) and then she will go back to Korea for good.
Met her twice during her short stay here, and we had a great time. Love this unni of mine. I can't wait to visit her in Korea next year!
| We had lunch at AOBA, our favorite little Japanese cafe in Malvern where we also know the boss. It was great seeing her! |
| Also met Eva and little Zoe at Watergardens and had lunch at La Porchetta. <3 Zoe |
| St. Ali has their own roastery thus they have their own brand of coffee beans. |
There's another cafe nearby called "Dead Man Espresso" that I badly want to try out. Too bad they were closed on Cup Day. Next time I will definitely make it down!
And then Cafe Giraffe, one of my absolute favorites - haven't been there in a long while and then we went there just last night.
| Creme brulee and passionfruit bread pudding. YUMMY! |
It may seem like I am having lots of fun, but work wise, I am working doubly hard. Whilst I am just doing my regular stuff in the office, I have added responsibilities at the restaurant. 2 weeks ago the 2 bosses sat me down and had a meeting with me. They want me to take the job as a trainer. Their plan was to let me train the new staff, and my senior will train the 'not-so-new' staff to become senior staff. To be honest, I hate the job! I hate teaching people because I cannot teach. I hate following new staff around and picking out their mistakes. I don't think I do as good a job as my senior did, but she told me I am doing alright. The younger boss actually wanted me to do the teaching because he thinks I am good at pushing people (I don't know if that's in a good or bad sense), and the new staff needs a good push to get them going. So recently, given this new responsibility, I have been training 2 new staff, and trying to get another new staff to memorise the menu and the short forms we use whilst taking order. I am literally giving this girl pop quizzes every 10 minutes or so, annoying her heaps.
I have been training for a long time now, though it never really is my sole responsibility. I only come in when my senior is not around, or when she has too many people /things to take care of. But now, I take the entire load, and I hate it. But bar positions now belongs to me on Sundays. And FYI bar position on Sunday is the MOST stressful position ever, and if he/she screws up, the whole flow is screwed. I always feel drained after every shift on Sunday, especially so I also work lunch shifts on Sunday as well. >.<
I can't wait for my holidays! I need a break. Bad news is I have gained 2.5 kg and I really really hope I can lose at least 3kg before I get back. I feel extremely fat, and nothing I wear seem to make me any slimmer. SIGH!
The next time I blog will probably be in Singapore? Perhaps I may be able to blog more often when I am on holidays. See how I go.
Comments