Back from Busan. Adventure Continues in Seoul
WORD OF CAUTION: IT'S GONNA BE A REALLY LONG POST + PICTURES!
Had a great time by myself (mostly) traveling in Busan. First time there, and I feel that Busan was totally different from Seoul in some ways. Firstly, their accent confuses me sometimes. Busan people have this "사투리" that is really difficult to comprehend. Even people from Seoul might have difficulties understanding their Korean. However, I am quite proud to say that I did not have major difficulties talking to the natives, and I found that Busan people are actually VERY friendly, and always willing to lend a helping hand, so when I got lost (all the time) I simply have to ask and they will readily point out to me the correct routes etc... Grateful...
Checked into this really really cozy guest house called "The Planet Guest House" where the owner/manager Ji Young received me kindly. She was really nice, and she spoke Korean with no accent. Plus, she speaks English too, so if I get stuck anytime she can explain to me in English. I loved the guest house cuz it was beautifully decorated. Ji Young also helped me with tourist information and suggested me where I could visit etc. So I am really thankful for her help...
Traveled to Busan via KTX (fast bullet train in Korea but I didn't think it actually went that quickly) and it took about 2.5 hours from Seoul to Busan. I had a little luggage with me but to reduce costs I chose to travel to my guest house via Busan's subway. It wasn't that bad actually, though I did arrive at the guest house a little later than my intended time. After settling down and having a little introductory chat with Ji Young I left the guest house at about 5pm and went for a quick lunch, and afterwards, headed to Haeundae Beach (해운대), which was directly opposite to where I was staying. Walked along the coast, and then through the walking trails in the beach which brought me to the light house, observation deck, and a far view of the Busan Gwangan bridge. Saw the sunset. Explored aimlessly around after the skies got dark, and just hitting random places that I deemed interesting.
| Almost dusk.... Haeundae beach view of the Busan houses on top of a little hill... Marvelous! |
The next day I took the Busan City Bus Tour and went on a cruise seeing all the different sights of Busan. However I alighted at Taejungdae (태중대) where I've intended to visit. Had lunch at this little restaurant. Ordered Seafood soy-bean paste soup, and it came with 10 different side dishes I was appalled. How on earth am I going to finish everything all by myself?!
| This was the huge meal being served... I've tried my best finishing everything up, though there were still some left-overs... I was so full I couldn't eat anymore! |
It was a looooooooooooooong way uphill (and then back down) the Taejungdae park, but the scenic along the way was really nice~ Tired, but enjoyed myself.
Climbed down the hill and caught the last city tour bus to Jalgakchi market. This market is the most famous market in Korea, and is definitely a MUST-GO if anyone ever visit Busan (I sound like I am writing some tour guide book or something)... Fish markets... a highlight of Busan. I don't really like fish markets cuz it stinks, but then it still appeared interesting to me. Really wanted to try the Korean-style sashimi over a couple of drinks, but then I was by myself. The second level of all the markets seem to be a dining area for people to eat freshly caught fishes. People were in groups, and the servings were pretty big, so I don't think I'll be able to finish it all by myself.... Sadly..
PIFF was the next stop - another MUST-GO destination. Pusan (Busan) International Film Festival which only happens in September. There are fingerprints of some directors and actors from all over the world. There wasn't anyone I recognised, except for one - 张艺谋 (Chinese director). There were shopping and nice street food (I have tried the Busan pan-fried 'hotdog' and it was really nice!~) so I was just wandering around, window shopping. Really wanted to get to Yeungdo Park which is located somewhere in the PIFF, but I couldn't find it no matter how many times I've tried... Spent the entire day walking around and I was so tired, I gave up eventually.
| Fingerprints at PIFF |
Had the MUST-TRY food which is only available in Busan - 되지국밥 - or literally translating pork with soup and rice... Sounds bland, but then it has a pretty interesting way to eat it. I can't really describe the taste of it, but it was really yummy....
| 되지국밥 Eating this the correct way will entitle you to a very yummy meal~~~~~~ |
3rd and last day, I checked out of the guest house at 11.30am and left my luggage with Ji Young. Went to Gwangan Beach to see the Gwangan Bridge and also to go to Millak Fish Market. All famous spots in Busan. Weather was good, and everything went fine. I didn't get too lost. Walked along the coast of the beach, and got myself to Millak Fish Market.
| It was kinda foggy so it's hard to capture the Gwangan Bridge |
| If the skies weren't that cloudy, this would be my favorite photo of the day~ |
My KTX back to Seoul departs at 6pm so I was at Busan station half an hour before. Took bus 1003 from Haeundae Beach to the station. Got to take a photo with Ji Young before I left. I really appreciate her hospitality during my stay in Busan.
Back in Seoul, I went back to the same guest house and got the same room back. I have actually deposited my big luggage trunk in their storage room, so I got it back and got the room ready for my stay for the next 2 weeks or so. Rested for the night, and the next day I woke up and went to Hyehwa for coffee and a stroll down the lovely town.... A few universities are in Hyehwa, and it has heaps of shopping and lots of nice cafes too~ I went to Cafe Luwak, and thought their coffee was really good!
| Perfect heart~ |
Night time it was dinner and soju with my Yonsei friends - Alex, Ri Hye and Airi - all of them are still here and continuing another 3-week program with the university. Had a blast~ Drank too much though. But it was all good...
| Aren't they cute??? Airi and Ri Hye~~ |
| Before the flash went off, I exclaimed, "Oh no, I didn't turn the flash off!!" and this was how the pic turned out - Alex looking down trying to avoid the flash... Hmmmmm... Flashaphobic?? |
Just yesterday (7/3) I went to Bukchon (북촌) and tackled the maze of old time ancient Korean houses. It was amazing to be walking through that maze, which is located just in between of Changdeokgung palace and Deoksugung palace. It was a bit of a walk though, and with steep hills and long flight of stairs. But it's all worth it.
| Overlooking the roofs of ancient Korean houses.... spectacular Again, it was too cloudy when I took the photo.... Couldn't get the best view |
| Photospot But too shadowy... sigh! |
And then a free tea ceremony I went to.... Just to view how Koreans brew their tea, and the way to drink it...
Back to the guest house afterwards, one of the tenants I frequently talk to asked me to join in for some samgyeopsal, and I agreed. So a few of us ate together in the guest house, over... SOJU! Met people from Scotland, Japan, Thailand, Slovenia... and of course, Korea~ Great experience.
| In case you're wondering, I am all the way at the back... drinking away... ;) |
I personally feel that staying at a guest house is actually much more fun than in a hotel. You make friends easier this way. Of course you don't get superior service like everyday room service, but then, for the price you pay, this is good. I am paying probably AUD 25 per night, and it's considered pretty cheap. They even provide free breakfast, free shampoo, free WI-FI etc... All this in AUS will be costly. And you can't find these in Singapore for that sort of price, EVER.
Not much time left in Korea! 2 weeks! Too short!! I really have to get out there and explore and do as much as I can!!!
Comments