It's All About Ibi




It has been more than a month since I last saw Ibi. Finally, I got to visit her at night, and I got her her favourite sashimi and sachets of cat food. Whilst I was so happy to see her, she did not seem to reciprocate the happiness.


Some of my friends have warned me about revisiting (your) cat after some time – they will simply not acknowledge you anymore. They may, or may not, recognise you even. They are so different from dogs who will come to you barking and wagging their tails, obviously happy to see you. Dogs always give me a warm feeling, but cats give me that cold shoulder like they just cannot be bothered. I felt like I have been accused for abandoning her.


However, Ibi did let me pick her up and give her cuddle. She was purring a little when I stroked her thick coat. She has been in a funny mood, said my housemate, and she still has not fully settled into her new environment. Plus, she is not able to get out now to hunt so she is a little bit tubbier than before.


I miss Ibi so much. I miss her creeping into my room at night and stepped all over me. I was annoyed then when she did that because she woke me up, but now I actually missed it. I miss having her rubbing on my legs screaming “FEED ME FEED ME!!” when I get home at night. I miss having her hoard my lap every time I sit down to watch TV or do some work on my laptop. I miss having her watching me bustling in the kitchen, musing at how clumsy this old nanny can be. I just miss her. Terribly.


I wish I can visit her more often but I cannot just pop by my housemate’s place all the time with my main purpose to see Ibi (and not my housemate). Sometimes my housemate and I do stuff outside, so that means Ibi will not be involved. I wish I can have Ibi for myself sometimes but it is not a good idea to move cats around because being territorial they do not get used to different environments as quickly as dogs can. Friends suggested to me that I get a kitten (or puppy) myself, but I don’t know if this is the right time since I may have to move again, and the fact that I am always not at home means that my pet will get quite lonely by itself. If I want to adopt a pet I have to make sure it gets a good life. So as much as I really wanted to, I do not want to commit just as yet.



Sigh… if only I did not have to move so soon. Then I will get to spend more time with Ibi. 

Comments

Popular Posts