New Zealand on a pair of sneakers
This pair of white converse is about 10 years old now, and it has gone to many many places with me, both in Australia and abroad in at least 10 other countries. I can't imagine going anywhere without them. So comfy, and even though they are not exactly "white" now (needs a wash!) they are still considered "white" pair of shoes that goes with any outfit.
As part of my birthday treat (for myself), I have booked an air ticket to New Zealand. But of course, I got them because I happened to see a promotion posted to Emirates' Skyward members (I am one) and decided to take that. I do not want to go away for too long because I wanted to save for a longer one in December, so I took my birthday leave, plus two days of weekend, and two more days out of my leave, so I had 6 days altogether. Decided to take it easy and decided to go to Auckland in the North Island instead, even though I am well aware that the South Island is a lot prettier and has more to offer. This will be an introductory trip to NZ, and I plan to conquer the south island next year!
The trip was great! In many ways, Auckland is very much like Australia. It is after all, a Commonwealth and British colonised country. There weren't much shopping to do because most of the shops and brands are exactly the same as Australia. It's great this way, which means I have more time to do other things. Being the city of sails, naturally, there was a few sailing trips involved - taking a ferry to islands such as Waiheke and Devonport. Took a tour down South to Waitomo to explore the glowworms in limestone caves, also to Rotorua to experience NZ's farms, mud springs, geysers and the Maori culture. Just fantastic.
Too bad I didn't get to go to a few places. There was also the Hobbiton (where "The Hobbit" was filmed) which I gave a miss because I had to either choose that or Rotorua, which I chose the latter cuz I am interested in culture and performances, as well as animals. I could have done two tours if I could but the tours in NZ were so god-damn expensive! I could only afford one tour and that's it if I do not want to go broke.
I did a few small hikes myself - one on Waiheke Island, where I trekked through the forest to get to Oneora town. Then up Mount Victoria on Devonport and then Mount Eden for a spectacular night view on the summit. I walked heaps too. Clocked in more than 20,000 steps daily with my tracker. No wonder I am always so tired by the time I get back to the hotel every night.
Hotel... it was disappointing. I won't go into details here. Maybe in another post. Anyway, most of my photos are in my camera, so I will have to find time to upload those and perhaps post them up (if I feel like it).
On another note, on 13 May, I turn a shocking 31. Actually I felt nothing so grand. I didn't even remember my birthday until my manager reminded me about it (because he was aware I had an upcoming holiday). I wasn't craving for a celebration. I even took my birthday off Facebook some time back. I am going the opposite way from my younger days where I craved attention and loads of wall postings. It is interesting to see how the number of people who remembered my birthday dropped to only 10% of the people who wished me on Facebook last year because of the little birthday reminder. To those who remembered, and have had, in some way, wished me happy birthday, THANK YOU!
Big Thank you to Cathy, Naomi, Naomi's sister Mio, my Korean teacher, and her sister - thank you for the big surprise celebration! And to Daniel, that hug was the best gift ever! My manager, Martin, thank you for breaking all the sms/whatsapp/Facebook posts tradition by actually giving me a card. And oh, and a big present on my birthday - flu vaccination on my birthday! Sponsored by the company. WOOT!
I feel so old now...




Comments