Australia Day

26 January was Australia Day. Australia's "National Day". Not that it matters to me but at least it's a public holiday! This year's Australia Day fell on a Saturday, so we got Monday as a replacement public holiday. Three days off... WOOT!! [well... long weekend for most people, but not for me since I got to work on Sunday....]

I haven't been out ever since I came back from my holidays. Well I had a couple of dinners out with some friends and ex-colleagues  during the weekdays after work, but the past two Saturdays (and my only day-off) were really quiet. I was basically hibernating at home in my bed, or glued to my computer, or be fixing some instant noodles. Living like a real bum. I planned nothing, and I wasn't too keen on stepping outside either. I am thinking of my holidays and wishing that I can have more, but woefully slaps myself back to reality that I am back in reality, and back in Australia.

On Australia Day, I was initially planning to spend the day indoors as well, but my friend Eva asked me if I would like a catch-up. I never say no to her if I have nothing else pre-planned. One, I like catching up with her; and two, I am always really happy to meet Zoe, the cute little girl who makes me so happy every time I see her. So we had lunch together and I felt instantly cheered after that with Zoe clambering all over me and telling me stories in her toddler talk. Zoe turns five next month, and is starting prep school next week! And she starts Year 1 next year.... Time really flies! It has been five years with this little girl in my life, and she feels just like a daughter to me and I love this little girl like my own child. She has grown from a little baby in my arms, to a big girl (not quite!) who is starting school! I have seen her when she learnt how to walk, how to talk, and how to read and write. I feel so much older now... 

Anyway, I thought to myself, since I am already out this Saturday, I might as well catch the movie I have been dying to watch: Les Miserables. Needless to say, I am a fan of musicals since a long time ago... Friends who have watched it gave praise. Some of my friends have watched it, and some of my friends are non-musical fans, so I was more than ready to go catch the movie by myself. Then I found Ai-Lin, who just came back from her holidays, and thought I would try asking her. She expressed interest and so we went together. 

 I enjoyed every single second of the 2 hour 38 minutes long movie. Tears welled up in my eyes and gradually rolled down my cheeks. The most touching moments were Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Fantine. She was forced to become a prostitute to support her daughter, and it was that despair, sadness and hopelessness she sang the song "I dreamed a dream". The up-close shot of her face; she was crying; her eyes looked so sad; her voice was quivering. She sang with so much angst that her voice broke my heart, and I started to cry as well. I was not sure if I was the only one tearing up, and I had no tissues, but later found out that Ai-Lin was tearing as well, and so may have many other audiences. It was that heart-wrenching.

Another song that broke my heart was towards the finale when Jean Valjean died after his confession, and together with Fantine, joined all the people who died in the French Revolution sang "Do you hear the people sing". They were standing at the other side of the world, with their furniture barricades, voices high and strong. I thought about hunger and despair, the plight of France's lower class society in the 1800s.  The people who fought in the revolution to improve those times. I felt the pain. I cried.

Anne Hathaway did a fantastic job as Fantine. And I think the little girl who played Cosette, as well as the grown-up Cosette, Amanda Seyfield sang really well as well. Aussies Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe (once a New Zealander actually), veterans as they are, aren't really singers judging from their voices, but both did better than I think they'd perform. Eddie Redmayne, however, has a good voice (i.m.o). 


Must-watch for all musical fans! 


If I have a chance, I'll watch this musical live on stage. I think they were in Melbourne before but I missed them. Hopefully if they come round again I can catch them!

Monday's replacement holiday went by so quickly. I woke up at around noon, went out for a late lunch at Friends of Mine in Richmond, shopped in the city for a while, and got back home. Took a 1.5 hours nap, and then cooked dinner and ate with my housemates. This long weekend went by in the blink of an eye. Not enough at all! Out whole day Saturday, work whole day Sunday, and Monday just seemed so short...  Back to work tomorrow and am not feeling it... Sigh... 

Gradually settling in my new role but had a rough start. Expectations are of course, higher, but my brain has not been functioning to meet those expectations. I have been so busy I work overtime every single day. Although I don't have to but I want to make sure I grasp everything I am in doubt of before leaving the office. For my new role,  I have also decided to cut down work at the restaurant to the minimal, and am actually contemplating now to work maybe just one day (Sunday) and that's all. The restaurant helps with giving me more spending money that's true, but recently I discovered that I needed my own personal time and space more than I have needed them before. I have thought that my nights are going to be extremely boring because I have nothing to do. But so far my thinkings proved to be wrong because I enjoyed those few hours to myself, doing my own thing, and also resting earlier than usual. I think this could be a 'new life' that I will want to adopt because my previous one was too unstable, hectic and somewhat unhealthy. Without the extra income could mean I am less able to splurge on more travelling, but then if I quit shopping ( I have heaps of unnecessary things anyway so I do not need more at all) and save up I can still realise my dreams of going overseas once or twice annually. I probably need time to myself and take care of my health. I am not getting any younger!

Hopefully I will get to bed before 12.30am tonight. Will hereby sign off.... 


Comments

Popular Posts