and the days went by like paper in the wind
Had so much going on these 2 weeks that time just whizzed past like a rocket. It has been a mad mad week juggling all the work, work and more work, lessons, play and of course, some rest too. Never really had a moment to myself. And even though it is now already Saturday morning that I am blogging this, I am still not asleep in vain to get myself some space by doing my own personal work, as well as having a couple of drinks before hitting the sack.
Amidst having client meetings, thank you lunches, managing a huge international project by myself, running around the restaurant like a mad woman on Valentine's Day (and the whole week actually cuz it was so busy!), going for Korean classes and trying to get some sleep, I actually had some fun with friends as well. I filled my time up with activities so as to keep myself nice and busy. Honestly having always been on my feet, I actually feel odd not doing anything. I hate to slack, so no matter how tired I am I will just keep on going.
A few mini "Achievements" this fortnight
1. Monday (13/2)'s Client Meeting with Tourism Victoria - one of our biggest clients.
For the first time I was asked to be involved in this client meeting. For the first time I am meeting face to face, with those people I have always corresponded with via email, but do not know what they look like (and vice versa, it's their first time meeting me too). That was the intention of my managers to get me involved so that people can get to know me, and I can also get to know them and understand our working relationship with them. Especially so when I am also managing a huge part of the entire project.
The meeting was an intense 2 hours, but I have learnt a lot. The only thing about this whole meeting that I hate was having to dress formal. Luckily I couldn't find my formal pair of pants (don't know where to start digging actually) and I do not have an ironed shirt, so I just threw on a nice dress and a blazer + heels. Still uncomfortable, but better than looking like a 'toot' in pants and shirt!
2. Tried CHIN CHIN!
One of the many restaurants in my long list of 'to-try' is called Chin Chin, and I managed to rope in a few people to try with me one night.The wait was ridiculously long though - 1 hour. They do not take reservations, so there was no choice but to wait. It was worth the wait though.
Chin Chin is a Thai-influenced Asian-fusion restaurant, and their food is not too bad. I wouldn't say it's fantastic though, given the wait we had to go through. Some items were a little disappointing to be honest, but I liked their stir-fried wild boar and oyster omelette best.
I have a whole lot of food photos I want to post on a blog but I guess it won't be here. I have been contemplating to re-open my food blog (tastexbuds.blogspot.com) by making new posts on it. However, I really cannot find the time to sit down and properly structure my blog, think and edit my work, as well as make everything nice and presentable. Definitely I won't be able to blog as casually as I like, like how I do so here. So definitely I will need to find time to sit down and blog.
3. Survived Valentine's Day
BUSY like hell on V-day, an occasion I find overly overrated, and overly stupid. Honestly, why spend time and money on a day like this, dining at a so non-private place like a restaurant with 500 other couples, and having waiters/waitresses interrupting your supposedly peaceful dinner with your orders etc. Seriously, couples should really start thinking more about quality rather than going with the crowd. Or perhaps, just value your anniversary more than such an overrated day..... :\
4. Auction Rooms @ North Melbourne
Another cafe that I wanted to try soooooooo much, and finally, on a half day Friday I went to try with 2 of my closer colleagues Mellyza and KC. I loved the ambience there! The coffee was good, and the food was good too! I will definitely go back again.
5. Cheers to a successful Q2.
Or quite successful I'd say. I have FINALLY, after much effort and time put into this project, managed to complete the entire Q2 for Tourism Victoria international project. It's my first time managing a project on my own, so I am actually quite satisfied with the results despite having difficulties and problems along the way. Managed to solve all of them one by one, and now all the international markets are done on my side, and passed on to Stephen for churning the reports. Well all, except for the Indian market, which I will need to have a look again coming Monday.
Then I will have to move on to Q3. Fingers crossed things can still go this smoothly.
6. Asian Beer Cafe in Melbourne Central
Actually, despite not liking Australia, I like the 'chilling out after work over a jug of beer' concept. Did just that with Chloe one of those nights I got a night off at Asian Beer Cafe. It is more of meeting Chloe up before she leaves for Tasmania for 3 months or so. She will be back in Melbourne some time in May, and then she will be going back to Korea for good in July/August. I will definitely meet her in Korea, but for now, I enjoy having a drinking buddy any time.
I really like this 동생 of mine. Her bubbly and outgoing character grows on you.
7. KC's birthday at Wabi Sabi in St. Kilda
It was actually my day off but I woke up early, went into the city and bought a gift, and went to the office to celebrate KC's birthday. I missed cake cutting, but it doesn't matter. KC, Mellyza and I went to Wabi Sabi, a nice little Japanese place near our office to have lunch. The sushi and sashimi platter was great! The only set back was the wasabi - it was not even anywhere near spicy. I reckon kids could take that wasabi too!
8. Precis' Thank You Lunch at Miss Jackson (St. KIlda)
An achievement for successfully finishing 2011, this was a lunch to celebrate our 'success'.
Initially intended for an earlier date, but because of our work load, it had been postponed til mid-Feb.
I recommended one of my favorite cafes which is about a 10 minute walk away from our office, and I was glad that both my managers took my idea. Turned out to be a good idea cuz 1) they liked the food there; 2) they saw some British celebrity there who was in some medical drama in Melbourne (and apparently he has been in Australia for like 20 years now); 3) Stephen was going to bring his gf to the cafe the very next day; 4) Martin was obviously pleased with his Za'taar lamb dish that he has ordered he wanted to make one himself as well.
In case you are wondering, we are a 3 "man" team. Precis team in our company is actually very small - 3 people consisting of Martin (Precis director), Stephen (Senior Account Executive) and me. Other teams like Firefly has only 2 people in the office. Operations team (budgeting, costing, scripting, coding etc) has more people, and the CS (Client services) team has the most people (they do market research and occupies half the space in the office). There are a few other groups as well, doing market research and analysis of various sorts. And we all belong under the company MILLWARD BROWN. Our company shares a building with MINDSHARE, and we are all under the umbrella brand WPP. WPP is one of the most famous market/media research companies in the world, with Martin Sorrell as the global CEO, and who is perhaps one of the world's richest people.
The company mainly does media research and market research. Precis team under Millward Brown does media research and analysis and that is what I do.
9. Korean lessons
Still going on every Wednesdays. Meeting up with some of my classmates at 6.30pm and have dinner at Kimchi Tray before heading to class at 7.30pm. Still going quite easy for me, though I am just sitting there not responding to anything, I am just silently revising. I like our new teacher and her way of teaching. She seems like a fun person too!
10. Zoe is turning 4!
Yes, our darling little girl Zoe will be turning 4 on 23/2/2012. Eva is holding a party near their house in Caroline Springs on Sunday (19/2) but there will be no way I can ever get out of work, so I met them on Saturday in the city instead. Lunch was at Time Out in Federation Square. The food there is only average, but the company makes it all up. Zoe was so excited to see me she was all over me. Some people may find kids like that really annoying, but I really loved the way she 'annoys' me. In fact, I was not even half annoyed/pissed. I love playing with this little girl, and she is so adorable it is impossible to resist her! Not to mention the fact that I DO love kids. <3 Zoe. I will watch over her and make sure she grows up to be a fine girl!
A video of me and the little girl.... So cute!!!
Hopefully when I blog next time, or the next few times, I can come up with some concrete plans with my quest to return home (to Singapore).. I guess, Zoe and my (almost) daily strong latte will be what I will miss most when I go back? Anyway, I have to get into bed. Til then, good night! :)
Amidst having client meetings, thank you lunches, managing a huge international project by myself, running around the restaurant like a mad woman on Valentine's Day (and the whole week actually cuz it was so busy!), going for Korean classes and trying to get some sleep, I actually had some fun with friends as well. I filled my time up with activities so as to keep myself nice and busy. Honestly having always been on my feet, I actually feel odd not doing anything. I hate to slack, so no matter how tired I am I will just keep on going.
A few mini "Achievements" this fortnight
1. Monday (13/2)'s Client Meeting with Tourism Victoria - one of our biggest clients.
For the first time I was asked to be involved in this client meeting. For the first time I am meeting face to face, with those people I have always corresponded with via email, but do not know what they look like (and vice versa, it's their first time meeting me too). That was the intention of my managers to get me involved so that people can get to know me, and I can also get to know them and understand our working relationship with them. Especially so when I am also managing a huge part of the entire project.
The meeting was an intense 2 hours, but I have learnt a lot. The only thing about this whole meeting that I hate was having to dress formal. Luckily I couldn't find my formal pair of pants (don't know where to start digging actually) and I do not have an ironed shirt, so I just threw on a nice dress and a blazer + heels. Still uncomfortable, but better than looking like a 'toot' in pants and shirt!
2. Tried CHIN CHIN!
One of the many restaurants in my long list of 'to-try' is called Chin Chin, and I managed to rope in a few people to try with me one night.The wait was ridiculously long though - 1 hour. They do not take reservations, so there was no choice but to wait. It was worth the wait though.
Chin Chin is a Thai-influenced Asian-fusion restaurant, and their food is not too bad. I wouldn't say it's fantastic though, given the wait we had to go through. Some items were a little disappointing to be honest, but I liked their stir-fried wild boar and oyster omelette best.
| It was dessert time, and we ordered black sticky rice and palm sugar ice-cream |
3. Survived Valentine's Day
BUSY like hell on V-day, an occasion I find overly overrated, and overly stupid. Honestly, why spend time and money on a day like this, dining at a so non-private place like a restaurant with 500 other couples, and having waiters/waitresses interrupting your supposedly peaceful dinner with your orders etc. Seriously, couples should really start thinking more about quality rather than going with the crowd. Or perhaps, just value your anniversary more than such an overrated day..... :\
4. Auction Rooms @ North Melbourne
Another cafe that I wanted to try soooooooo much, and finally, on a half day Friday I went to try with 2 of my closer colleagues Mellyza and KC. I loved the ambience there! The coffee was good, and the food was good too! I will definitely go back again.
| This pork belly in omelette is so nice, I want to go for more if it's not actually one of the most expensive items on the menu, and that pork belly is so fatty and unhealthy..... |
5. Cheers to a successful Q2.
Or quite successful I'd say. I have FINALLY, after much effort and time put into this project, managed to complete the entire Q2 for Tourism Victoria international project. It's my first time managing a project on my own, so I am actually quite satisfied with the results despite having difficulties and problems along the way. Managed to solve all of them one by one, and now all the international markets are done on my side, and passed on to Stephen for churning the reports. Well all, except for the Indian market, which I will need to have a look again coming Monday.
Then I will have to move on to Q3. Fingers crossed things can still go this smoothly.
6. Asian Beer Cafe in Melbourne Central
Actually, despite not liking Australia, I like the 'chilling out after work over a jug of beer' concept. Did just that with Chloe one of those nights I got a night off at Asian Beer Cafe. It is more of meeting Chloe up before she leaves for Tasmania for 3 months or so. She will be back in Melbourne some time in May, and then she will be going back to Korea for good in July/August. I will definitely meet her in Korea, but for now, I enjoy having a drinking buddy any time.
| Taken after beer, and then dinner at Post Deng Chinese restaurant. |
7. KC's birthday at Wabi Sabi in St. Kilda
It was actually my day off but I woke up early, went into the city and bought a gift, and went to the office to celebrate KC's birthday. I missed cake cutting, but it doesn't matter. KC, Mellyza and I went to Wabi Sabi, a nice little Japanese place near our office to have lunch. The sushi and sashimi platter was great! The only set back was the wasabi - it was not even anywhere near spicy. I reckon kids could take that wasabi too!
| Fantastic platter. You can even choose your own California nori rolls. Everything is great, except the wasabi. I really would appreciate hotter wasabi!! |
| It was also V-day that day on KC's birthday, so I bought mini cupcakes for everyone. |
8. Precis' Thank You Lunch at Miss Jackson (St. KIlda)
An achievement for successfully finishing 2011, this was a lunch to celebrate our 'success'.
Initially intended for an earlier date, but because of our work load, it had been postponed til mid-Feb.
I recommended one of my favorite cafes which is about a 10 minute walk away from our office, and I was glad that both my managers took my idea. Turned out to be a good idea cuz 1) they liked the food there; 2) they saw some British celebrity there who was in some medical drama in Melbourne (and apparently he has been in Australia for like 20 years now); 3) Stephen was going to bring his gf to the cafe the very next day; 4) Martin was obviously pleased with his Za'taar lamb dish that he has ordered he wanted to make one himself as well.
| Absolutely LOVE Miss Jackson's coffee! Their coffee has received great reviews all the time~ So does their food! |
In case you are wondering, we are a 3 "man" team. Precis team in our company is actually very small - 3 people consisting of Martin (Precis director), Stephen (Senior Account Executive) and me. Other teams like Firefly has only 2 people in the office. Operations team (budgeting, costing, scripting, coding etc) has more people, and the CS (Client services) team has the most people (they do market research and occupies half the space in the office). There are a few other groups as well, doing market research and analysis of various sorts. And we all belong under the company MILLWARD BROWN. Our company shares a building with MINDSHARE, and we are all under the umbrella brand WPP. WPP is one of the most famous market/media research companies in the world, with Martin Sorrell as the global CEO, and who is perhaps one of the world's richest people.
The company mainly does media research and market research. Precis team under Millward Brown does media research and analysis and that is what I do.
9. Korean lessons
Still going on every Wednesdays. Meeting up with some of my classmates at 6.30pm and have dinner at Kimchi Tray before heading to class at 7.30pm. Still going quite easy for me, though I am just sitting there not responding to anything, I am just silently revising. I like our new teacher and her way of teaching. She seems like a fun person too!
10. Zoe is turning 4!
Yes, our darling little girl Zoe will be turning 4 on 23/2/2012. Eva is holding a party near their house in Caroline Springs on Sunday (19/2) but there will be no way I can ever get out of work, so I met them on Saturday in the city instead. Lunch was at Time Out in Federation Square. The food there is only average, but the company makes it all up. Zoe was so excited to see me she was all over me. Some people may find kids like that really annoying, but I really loved the way she 'annoys' me. In fact, I was not even half annoyed/pissed. I love playing with this little girl, and she is so adorable it is impossible to resist her! Not to mention the fact that I DO love kids. <3 Zoe. I will watch over her and make sure she grows up to be a fine girl!
| Zoe and her 'Cong Cong' Auntie. Such a happy and innocent darling! Love her smiles. |
Hopefully when I blog next time, or the next few times, I can come up with some concrete plans with my quest to return home (to Singapore).. I guess, Zoe and my (almost) daily strong latte will be what I will miss most when I go back? Anyway, I have to get into bed. Til then, good night! :)
Comments