Expelliarmus, work!
Everyone tells me I've been working too hard and too much. However, I can't give up on my current opportunities because you don't get them all the time. And I still kept my usual shifts at the restaurant because that income is stable, and I need the cash.
I've been getting an average of 4 to 5 hours sleep daily, and work from 9am to 11pm. I feel so exhausted every day, but I have to force myself to carry on. Especially when it comes to my night shift, I am almost dragging my feet to work, yet having to make myself spring 'alive' when I start serving customers, smiling and all. Tough job when all you want to do is to curl up somewhere and sleep.
Anyway, latest edition of the Melbourne City News (July ed) was out on 15 July. I haven't actually got a hard copy because I haven't been in the office lately. My manager/editor is away for 2 weeks in NZ so I didn't have to go in. I missed their hand-outs in the morning so I am awaiting to collect my hard copy when I get the chance. But the paper can be viewed online at www.mc-news.com.au
![]() |
| Cover page of July 2011 edition |
![]() |
| My interview and CODA review on page 15 Our designer made a mistake. I did NOT cover the story on page 14. However my name is on it. I feel bad for whoever covered that story now... |
I don't know if I am writing for the August edition just as yet. Everything will have to wait for my manager to contact me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The company I am currently with is called Millward Brown Precis, a sub-division called Millward Brown Group based in the UK. There are offices in UK, US and Australia, and companies such as Mindshare and Kantar are also part of Millward Brown. Being 'precis', we summarise. It is a lot of data work actually. I am generally reading media and analysing the data on them, coding them with their softwares and generating them into reports to be presented to our clients. I am working on Tourism Victoria, and I read Chinese clips, pick out the messages in it, match the goals of how Tourism Victoria wants to advertise their company, and see if they match - en Anglais of course. Then I am also working on Ergon Energy, a power-supply company in Queensland, which bores me out because I am not interested in this particular industry. I am basically reading clips on improving power plants resulting in a hike of electricity charges, and how Queenslanders are not happy with them etc. BOOOOOO I rather like doing Tourism Victoria cuz I like reading travel clips off the Chinese media.
And there's another project I am picking on soon, which has been introduced to me briefly, on the automotive industry. I am not sure just as yet how ready am I to take something new. I've only started with them for 2 weeks and they are constantly hauling new information at me, and with all the new softwares I have to learn (because these 5 softwares or so are exclusive to Millward Brown so I need to learn them), I am constantly feeling overwhelmed with all the things I am juggling. Plus, lacking sleep doesn't help at all. It slows down my absorption of information, breaking them down and digesting them, and effectively execute them. I feel tired more easily with my attempt to perform my best, and also more prone to headaches which will only result me swallowing panadol tablets to feel better.
Undergoing training made me realize how little I know about everything. I guess I have been too busy these days to actually do a lot of reading and self-improvements. My manager can be asking me things about the longest river in Australia (Murray River), and the legacy of Ned Kelly, and how Queensland is divided into Far North QLD, Capricona, North QLD blah blah... and I am like... yeah I think I know these things but I couldn't divulge more information on anything. Yes, Ned Kelly is a bushranger who is considered a hero by some people in the 19th century, and he's from Melbourne, Victoria. But what about the legacy? What about the impact on arts and literature? What about the implications of culture? I will go "Ummmmmm... maybe YOU can tell me" to my manager. I've a lot to catch up on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of my good friends from Sozai, Zhan, has left for China last night. It's not like a first ever encounter having my good friends leaving for their hometown, but I still feel sad. We've been hanging out a lot, and supporting each other throughout our work at Sozai. She will be back, of course, since she's a citizen here, however, when that would be? No one knows....
We had 2 sessions of Karaoke in the past 2 weeks, one of which I got so terribly drunk I was literally knocked out the last half hour of the night. Zhan and Jeremy had to drag me upstairs to my room and tuck me in bed. I felt really embarrassed actually, and a little puzzled as to why I would get THAT drunk. I usually drink pots after pots and still pretty sober. Maybe it was because I was so exhausted? Maybe because I drank too fast? I recalled gulping down glasses of hennessy with Stanley, who by the way drinks like he has no limits. All that I could recall from the rest of the night after I got so drunk was Ryo having to support me all the way out of the KTV, and he, a BOY had to accompany me to the toilet where I threw up. He held the door for me cuz I apparently forgot to lock it. When he told me that the next day I went all red. It was a fun night, yet a horrible one for me too.
But I thank these friends who look after me all the way through - my 2 little brothers Ryo and Jeremy, who are always there for me. And my good friend Zhan.
I was 'wiser' the second time we went to KTV, and I drank moderately, and slowly. So I was completely sober. I sang a lot that night though. It was a farewell for Zhan as well, and we sang a couple of songs together. I sang a few songs (e.g. Stephanie Sun “天黑黑”;J.J Lin “原来”,Lee Hom “Forever Love", Eason's "淘汰” etc) that received loud applause from my friends. “真情留露” was what they said. I sang a lot of duets with Jeremy, Zhan and Cissy as well, in both Mandarin and Cantonese. It was a fun night~
| 1st Karaoke session at Holiday, Glen Waverly With Ryo, Stanley and Violet |
| Zhan and me~ |
| Being funny with Ryo, Zhan and Benise |
| More funny pics with the Canto-speaking clan of Sozai. Yeah, we are the only people who haul a lot of Canto at each other at work. Plus Stanley (from HK) as well |
| What happened here? |
| Second karaoke session @ Red Box, Box Hill From far left: Benise, Zhan, Jeremy, Cissy and Jing |
| The 2 Canto-pop queens - Benise and Zhan |
| Me, Jenny, Zhan and Cissy |
| Taken when we went out for a smoke (me too, I'm the only passive smoker lol) |
All the best, Zhan! See you really soon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday night was the only night off, so I met up with Yongshan and Shu Yea after my day work to watch the final installment of Harry Potter.
The movie was so good! The ending was sorta like an unintended comic relief actually since everyone in the cinema laughed. However, the movie received a round of applause just when the lights came back on. I've enjoyed the movie tremendously.
After that we went to Old Town Mamak in QV to have dinner. All 3 of us ordered Maggie goreng, and shared a roti telur bawang. Took photos and chit chat.
| With Yongshan |
| With Shu Yea |
| Maggie goreng and a little peek of the roti |
We should do this more often ---- but it's a pity I only have 1 night off. :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My 'business' with restaurant city is still going on, and I am almost level 30 now. WOOT!!!
I can't believe my infatuation with this simulation game. It excites me when I can expand my restaurant with every level boost.
OK... that's all for now. Probably another very loooooonnnng update yet again, so hopefully I didn't bore anyone out yet~ Until the next time I get some time to update.... CIAO~ :-)



Comments